Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 11-18-07, 10:50 AM

Pete Somers is an unknown quantity at this point
Skymaster missing in NSW

Just reading on Landings.com about this Skymaster missing in Australia.

The twin-engine Cessna 337 Skymaster left Moorabbin airport at midday (AEDT) yesterday bound for Merimbula on the NSW south coast, but failed to arrive around 4pm (AEDT) as planned.

The pilot of the 30-year-old plane, Geoff Milne, was taking his son to meet a NSW-based flight instructor and was also joined by his wife and the son's girlfriend, a friend of Mr Milne said today.

Hope it all ends ok for everyone.

Pete
Unread 11-19-07, 03:29 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
I got the google hits on this also Pete. Doesn't sound good. Keep us advised if you hear anything more.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 11-19-07, 03:36 PM

Pete Somers is an unknown quantity at this point
This is the latest-

NO one could have survived the crash of a light plane in the sea near a rocky outcrop on the coast of southern Victoria, authorities say.

The wreckage of the twin-engine Cessna 337 Skymaster was located off the shore at Cape Liptrap near Wilsons Promontory late today, bringing to an end a massive three-day search.

The bodies of a man and a woman have been identified, police say, and the third body is thought to be that of another woman.

Experienced pilot Geoff Milne, his wife Mathilde, their son and his girlfriend were on board the plane.

A helicopter search crew found the wreckage of the twin-engine Cessna 337 Skymaster near the shore at Cape Liptrap, near Wilsons Promontory, about 4.40pm (AEDT) today.

Australian Maritime Safety Authority spokeswoman Tracey Jiggins said there was no sign yet of the fourth person but there was little hope that person was alive.

"There are three bodies. Police are now on the scene at the moment and they will be co-ordinating the job,'' she said.

"The impact of the crash appears to be non-survivable.''

The aircraft was spotted after an air, land and sea search covering 5,000 square nautical miles, including Bass Strait and involving 23 aircraft.

A Victoria Police spokeswoman said the plane crashed in the water near Cape Liptrap, a rocky outcrop that juts deep into Bass Strait, but some of the debris had washed ashore.

There were reports the plane's emergency locator transmitter (ELT) had emitted a signal that was detected at 11pm (AEDT) yesterday but that turned out to be false, Australian Maritime Safety Authority spokeswoman Rhianne Philip said earlier today.

"It was unrelated, the beacon activation had nothing to do with the search. It came from a Sydney rubbish tip and was probably a personal locating device,'' Ms Philip said.

It was unusual the aircraft had not emitted an emergency signal because all aircraft had to be fitted with ELT, an aviation expert said yesterday.

The Victorian coroner will investigate the cause of the crash.

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau had been notified, Ms Jiggins said.

RIP.

Pete
Unread 11-22-07, 02:16 AM

David Dixon is an unknown quantity at this point
The public's visual perception of a Skymaster

Hello all

To assist future search and rescues, like the recent unfortunate accident here in Australia, I'm interested to know whether the untrained public would consider a Skymaster to appear as a twin or single in media reports. Here, the 337 that went down was missing for two days and false reports hampered the search. The media's referral as a twin I feel could confuse the public. I've had people when they look at my aircraft gasp with confusion when I tell them it's a twin. Generally most non-aviation folk have the idea that a twin light plane has an engine on either wing. A single has an engine in the nose. In the air the configuration surely seems like a single. So what do you think the media should report. I thing they should say a light plane with 2 booms etc and not mention twin or single. Any thoughts on this?

I am the owner of a 336 based at the same airport as the crashed 337. (Moorabbin Australia)

I have been passionately following this investigation particularly as my wife was holidaying at the exact spot that the plane disappeared. She may well have been one of the last witnesses to see it prior to the crash. The route it was traveling is also very familiar with us as we regularly head to Flinders Island about 90 knt miles south west from the crash site.

At this stage there are reports that it emerged from fog a few miles further on from where they saw it and was traveling at sea level maybe trying to land on the beach there, which is quite a possibility as it is very wide and long. The young witnesses reported that a rocky outcrop would have inhibited the landing and the 337 banked and disappeared. They heard a crash but neglected to notify authorities, as they weren't sure (would you believe). The aircraft they decided later hit the deck about 100 mts off shore. Bad weather is hampering the search for the rest of the fuselage and one body. Three others were killed.
It appears at this stage that the pilot flew into non VMC.

Would you also believe that a credible witness (as my wife) was neglected to be interviewed in their search for the aircraft. She has 10 years experience with Skymasters here in Australia and after I made the initial call to the Search and rescue to call her, they felt they had enough reports. I bet none were Skymaster savvy. She had the direction the height and the sound of the engine to report. Wheels up or down would have told them something also. but no not interested.
I look forward to your opinions of how Skymasters are perceived from the ground. This valuable knowledge could be circulated for all future Search and Rescue scenarios where Skymasters are involved.
Regards
David Dixon.. Melbourne Australia

Last edited by David Dixon : 11-22-07 at 05:26 AM.
Unread 11-22-07, 08:46 PM

Skymaster337B is an unknown quantity at this point
It doesn't matter what the public thinks...they are all stupid anyway. What matters is the search and rescue people. And I would think they know what a Skymaster looks like...but even if they didn't they'd investigate any wreckage -- just like the Steve Foucett loss.

By the way, how are User Fees working out down under? Thank goodness our crazy liberal government didn't accept that scheme here.
Unread 11-22-07, 11:30 PM

David Dixon is an unknown quantity at this point
No you miss my point. I was referring to when a Skymaster goes missing and the search and rescue people ask the media for public help if anyone has seen a twin engine light plane, it could be a bit confusing for non aviation savvy people, as did happen here when this one dissapeared for two days. The authorities spent two days searching false reports well down the expected flight path. As I said, my wife saw it fly over the house she was staying at, moments before it crashed, others saw it too and these were the last positive sightings of it. The authorities concentrated on false reports of it about 50 miles away from the last confirmed sighting. If the media says a twin aircraft is missing, I bet the public would disgard what they believe to be a single. I questioned them about this and they sad "Too much technical information confuses the public" Well why even say it's a twin. Just say a light plane, then all sightings would be reported.
That's my point.

Re the cost of aviation here, you guys seem to be so well off when compared to the UK. Our cost of fuel in Austrlia has skyrocketed since User Fees were introduced, so we are copping it from both ends. Compare your costs of annuals against ours and the UK would give you some idea. It's classified here as a real luxury and many of my fellows are considering opting out. (we arn't getting any younger, like our aircraft).
DD

Last edited by David Dixon : 11-22-07 at 11:34 PM.
Unread 11-28-07, 11:08 PM
Keven

Most of the folks that fly with me understand it's a twin, but think it "looks and sounds funny" from the ground. You're probably right, just refer to it as a "small" airplane, and the general public would have a greater grasp. Even though I thought it was a "huge" plane after flying 150s and Archers after first getting my ticket, most commercial airfare folks think it's tiny.

Regarding user fees, we have been able to avoid them so far. The newest apointment to replace Blakey is wildly in favor of them . . . so I'm apprehensive for our future. But -- it sure ain't from the "liberal" government. The push has come primarily from the President W himself, who, last time I checked, declared himself to NOT be liberal. Politics aside, for some reason, the Right is really pushing for these fees. Please write and call your reps!

Keven
________
No2 Vaporizer

Last edited by Keven : 04-23-11 at 05:25 PM.
Unread 12-09-07, 10:42 AM

N6030X is an unknown quantity at this point
Skymaster missing in NSW

Geoff was a friend of mine. He was an experienced pilot with years of cropdusting experience and flying all over Australia and New Zealand. He was somewhat of a wild man and we had great times at the bar.

This is a real tragedy for a lot of people who knew Geoff and his family. I hope they figure out what went wrong.

Dave Morris
www.N6030X.com