Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 09-17-21, 09:47 AM

cartrm is on a distinguished road
FWIW here is my experience:

I'm into my second year of 337 ownership. Definitely not the highest number of hours (~600), but mostly on retracts so that helps. At the time I bought, I had very low multi time - basically the hours from my rating plus a couple more here and there.

The insurer who I was with for my previous airplane would only give me liability/not-in-motion for the first year due to hours and aircraft type. Fair. Was asked for my plan to get trained in the 337 - gave it to them, no questions asked.

They said try again for in-motion next year. Renewal came around, original insurer still wouldn't give in-motion. Shopped around to other brokers, both of whom had no problem giving in-motion coverage for all six seats, and a fair hull value. Ended up being cheaper than what I was paying for in-motion on the previous airplane with the original insurer, at the same hull value and only one seat.

Worth pointing out that I'm in Canada, but the underwriters in question write policies in the US as well. One broker told me as long as the airplane was N-registered, they would write a policy no matter where in the world it was actually located.

We'll see what next year's renewal brings. It would be great to stay with one broker rather than having to shop around every time.
Unread 09-17-21, 11:42 AM

mshac is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAdams View Post
My question is for those that self insure, how or what do you provide to the landlord for the hangar lease insurance requirement?
Everytime I rent a hangar I must provide a policy naming the airport as additional insured. How do you get around that if self insured?
Live on a private airport like I do - no insurance requirements.

Hangar your plane at a small rural airport that does not have a team of ass-hat lawyers making everything as difficult and complicated as possible for aircraft owners.
Unread 09-17-21, 05:14 PM

TomM is on a distinguished road
We had a discussion on insurance when I first joined here about a year and a half ago, with the same issues of people having a hard time getting insurance. I am glad I didnt go through that or I would have given up. I had no problem getting insurance from the first person I talked to.

When I got my 337 spring of 2019 I had 1200 hrs TT ALL of which was in 150's and 172s. I am 54 and do have my instrument rating. I sold my 172 and bought a 337 with zero multi time, zero high performance time and zero retract time. You would think I would be the guy that would never get insurance. But that was not the case. See my COI attached. I had my instructor listed as a named pilot and the insurance company called the shots on the experience requirements. The training time took care of all that. So by the time I passed my check ride, I was able to fly her home.

My insurance cost for the first year was $2500 with a hull coverage of $45,000 (just a knock around plane, nothing fancy).

I did think the rate would go down this year as I flew the plane 120 hours last year, but that was not the case. My renewal costs were the same as the year before.

It is a bummer to hear you are having issues. I would not want to have missed flying these planes, I totally love them!!

Best of luck!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf COI.pdf (550.1 KB, 375 views)
Unread 09-17-21, 05:21 PM

TomM is on a distinguished road
PIC follow up

As a follow up to my post, be aware of the definition of PIC:

Training flights present another common scenario where a pilot who is not the sole manipulator of the controls may still log PIC time. If the student is piloting the aircraft, the certified flight instructor (CFI) is still acting as the pilot in command since the CFI bears the ultimate authority and responsibility for the operation and safety of the flight. According to FAR 61, the student will not log PIC time even if they are the sole manipulator of the controls. It is not until the student is taking their check ride that they are eligible to log their flight time as PIC.

So my instructor, being a named person on my policy, is the PIC during flight training so all insurance requirements are met and allows you to train in your own aircraft.