Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 07-25-11, 07:51 AM

rhurt is on a distinguished road
Great thread!

I have some questions to add:

Walter stated: Turbocharged engines are more efficient at higher MPs than lower MPs.

Do turbocharged engines have lower BSFC than NA engines (LOP, 65-100% power)? What boost pressure is most efficient?

What is ICP?

Why not run LOP on climbout, after the initial power reduction?

In my NA, conforming (via GAMI) IO360 engines, how many degrees LOP should I run?

I usually fly WOT at 9-10k', running 2,500 rpm. Should I run 2,600 rpm or more when operating LOP to get my power back?

GAMI uses a cost effective method of tuning the F/A ratio by adjusting each cylinder's fuel flow to match the air flow. But the cylinders are not all producing the same power. Is it not most efficient to tune the intake airflow and exhaust gas flow so that all the cylinders will run at the same airflow, create the same power and also have the correct F/A ratio? Does the Cirrus SR22 accomplish this with the tuned induction IO550 combined with tuned exhaust?

How much does differing exhaust gas flow restriction affect the F/A ratio in each cylinder? If I tune the exhaust in my IO360 Skymaster by making some headers, how much will the tuned exhaust affect the F/A ratio for each cylinder? Will the 'GAMI spread' be enlarged? I wonder if I could tune the exhaust restrictions to make up for the intake flow inequalities and go back to stock injectors?

Is PRISM close to certification? How much will it reduce the BSFC?
Unread 07-25-11, 08:32 PM

Walter Atkinson is an unknown quantity at this point
WOW, you have a bushel basket of questions! I'll try to answer them succinctly, but most of these are answered in detail in the APS class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhurt View Post
Do turbocharged engines have lower BSFC than NA engines (LOP, 65-100% power)? What boost pressure is most efficient?
TC'd engines with 7.5:1 CR are generally in the .42 - .43 range on BSFC(min). The NA engines with the 8.5:1 CR generally have BSFC(min) numbers of about .385 -.39. The higher CR ratio engines are more efficient.

Typically, the more boost, the more efficient because reducing the boost (MP) creates greater exhaust back pressure which reduces the volumetric efficiency of the cylinder.

Quote:
What is ICP?
Internal cylinder pressure. Generally referencing the peak ICP.

Quote:
Why not run LOP on climbout, after the initial power reduction?
No reason engine-wise, however the pilot workload *could be* a bit higher. I generally will do a LOP climb only when it's a max range trip and the couple of gallons saved might make the difference in meeting MY personal reserve of one hour remaining. As a general rule I climb both NA and TC'd engines ROP and cruise LOP.

Quote:
In my NA, conforming (via GAMI) IO360 engines, how many degrees LOP should I run?
That depends entirely on the power being produced. More power needs to be further LOP. At 65%, I like 20dF LOP with a nearly straight line change to 80dF LOP at 90% power.

Quote:
I usually fly WOT at 9-10k', running 2,500 rpm. Should I run 2,600 rpm or more when operating LOP to get my power back?
I only do that when the OAT is quite high and the extra RPM increases mass airflow while holding the FF the same. This makes one further LOP and the CHTs will be lower.

Quote:
GAMI uses a cost effective method of tuning the F/A ratio by adjusting each cylinder's fuel flow to match the air flow. But the cylinders are not all producing the same power. Is it not most efficient to tune the intake airflow and exhaust gas flow so that all the cylinders will run at the same airflow, create the same power and also have the correct F/A ratio? Does the Cirrus SR22 accomplish this with the tuned induction IO550 combined with tuned exhaust?
The ideal would be mass air flow tuned cylinders and exhaust, but the gain is hardly worth it in most cases. The air flows are usually close enough that the GAMIjectors create a set of cylinders producing very, very close to the same HP. So close that it runs nice and smooth LOP.
The IO-550 induction in the CIrrus is efficient because each cylinder has it's own induction and is not a log-runner. BUT, many Cirrus engine benefit by having GAMIjectors. Some are pretty good as delivered.

Quote:
How much does differing exhaust gas flow restriction affect the F/A ratio in each cylinder? If I tune the exhaust in my IO360 Skymaster by making some headers, how much will the tuned exhaust affect the F/A ratio for each cylinder? Will the 'GAMI spread' be enlarged? I wonder if I could tune the exhaust restrictions to make up for the intake flow inequalities and go back to stock injectors?
IN most of our engines it's not worth the trouble unless you're racing at Reno and a quarter knot makes a difference. The effect on the GAMI spread could make it better or worse, depending on where you start. Attempt to tune the exhaust and not have to balance the F:A ratios has been largely unsuccessful. The reason is the occult transfer of fuel from one cylinder to another in the INDUCTION system.

Quote:
Is PRISM close to certification? How much will it reduce the BSFC?
The certification effort is continuing but I do not have any estimate on the timeline. GAMI might, But I don't. Based on testing, I think the BSFC(min) may come in about .37, which is a substantial improvement and not far from the operational BSFC(min) of the diesels.

I hope that answered you adequately.
Unread 07-26-11, 12:25 AM

rhurt is on a distinguished road
Thank you Walter. That is a great wealth of information! It sounds like taking a seminar would be time and money well spent.

For clarification though, about prism: Is the BSFC of .37 for the NA engine? And does prism measure and tune the peak ICP?

Finally, do you know anyone who has a rig for measuring crankshaft torque in flight?
Unread 07-26-11, 10:41 AM

Walter Atkinson is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Thank you Walter. That is a great wealth of information! It sounds like taking a seminar would be time and money well spent.

For clarification though, about prism: Is the BSFC of .37 for the NA engine? And does prism measure and tune the peak ICP?

Finally, do you know anyone who has a rig for measuring crankshaft torque in flight?
Several thousands have taken the seminar and the only comments we get are that it was well worth the time and expense. We'd love to have you join us. The next class is in Colorado Springs, August 9 & 10.

As far as PRISM is concerned, the answers to your questions above are yes, and yes.

Crankshaft torque is usually measured in flight at the geared accessory case on the nose of the engine where there is a reduction gear for the prop. I am unaware of any such device for the engine you are flying to be used in flight. GAMI can do it on the engine test stand.