Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 05-14-10, 12:46 AM

rhurt is on a distinguished road
Bermuda?

Has anyone flown a Skymaster to Bermuda? In the normally aspirated plane it looks like about three hours past the NC Outer Banks. Seems reasonable with 6 hours of gas.
Unread 05-14-10, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
I fly mostly over water, mostly in the Caribbean and sometimes on very long flights. Yet, I would not chance your 6 hour trip.

Are you sure there is no avgas? The airport's web page for general aviation (http://www.bermudaairport.aero/pages...laviation.aspx) says there is one FBO and various phone numbers, including two for Esso fuel: (441) 505-9314 or (441) 293-1953.

The other alternative, assuming you have a very flexible schedule, is to wait for a winds-aloft forecast calling for strong west winds followed by strong east winds 4 or 5 days later.

When I travel over water I always make especially careful preparations. My "backup" Skymaster website (www.skymasterus.com) has a whole page on this, covering far more than its title of "Ditching: How to Avoid & Prepare". And in "Weather Websites" you will find an extraordinarily useful U.S. Navy website all the way at the bottom, providing wind, rain and seas forecasts for 7 days.

Ernie
Unread 05-14-10, 12:33 PM

rhurt is on a distinguished road
Thanks Ernie.

I knew I could benefit from others' experience on this issue: I ASSUMED there would be avgas in Bermuda and I would have a 3 hour reserve, but after reading your post, I realize avgas is not certain to be on the island its immediate availability should be a big part of my trip planning.

Will I need any special radios for the trip? Does anyone know if XM weather coverage goes that far? Are there any problems with relying on the 530 and 396 for navigation?
Unread 05-14-10, 02:04 PM
Administrator

If there's avgas, then this is a piece of cake of a trip in a twin -- provided you follow the proper precautions as set forth in my Ditching page.

Don't know about the radios (my guess is not).

Based on how far it extends over the Caribbean, I would guess XM Weather does not reach all the way out, but call the FBO and they should know. But who cares? You DON'T want to make this trip in anything other than severe clear, especially if it's the first trip of this type for you. And the navigation/GPS part of the 530 and 396 should work fine.

Sounds like an AWESOME trip! Need an additional pilot with lots of over-water experience?

Ernie
Unread 05-14-10, 02:45 PM

jchronic is on a distinguished road
I looked over the recommendations on Ernie's web site, and they're comprehensive and excellent. The only thing I'd add is to give the family (or other passengers) a thorough briefing on what to expect, and detailed instruction on their expected actions - what to do as well as what not to do.

On our low-altitude overwater aerial surveys, I hold a complete ditch briefing before every flight, even though the crew compliment changes very little. I break our procedure into three phases:

1. Preparatory - formally announced by "Prepare to ditch."
2. Landing - announced by "Brace, Brace, Brace" at 100' (yelled loudly,
since headphones should be off at that point)
3. In Water - where everyone has a prior-assigned exit (if useable), and
is responsible for a piece of survival gear to take out with them.

Another thing we stress (Ernie hit it) is not to get hung up inside the cabin trying to help someone who may be disabled - maybe a big thing when a family member is involved. The drill is to get yourself out with the gear you're responsible for, then render assistance from outside the airplane.

Re radios, I concur with Ernie's recommendations - the marine radio could be especially important. Many years ago, I took a flight of Navy fighters from Norfolk to Bermuda and we were out of comm (UHF) range for close to an hour; VHF coverage may be much better now. If not, I wouldn't think it's worth getting wrapped up in HF comms. You can rent a satphone as a good backup for a not-unreasonable rate.

I agree - it sounds like a fun trip, and Bermuda is a beautiful place!

Ahab
Unread 05-14-10, 04:10 PM
Administrator

I agree about the briefing, and I've modified the Ditching page to include it.

Ernie