Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 04-06-10, 07:55 PM

SpaYellowNsx is on a distinguished road
Super Skyrocket Useful load?

Does the Super Skyrocket have a greater useful load than the Skymaster? I hope this isn't redundant- I couldn't find any information on these boards, or at the Skyrocket site-
Unread 04-08-10, 06:04 AM

N5ZX is on a distinguished road
Howdy, Spa.
When I was shopping for SkyMasters last year I ran accross a Super SkyRocket that advertised a useful load of 2000#. I cross verified independantly that with Owen Bell. I do not know if that was for that specific aircraft or the general mod package. However, Owen seemed to indicate that it was indicative of Super SkyRockets in general.

He also said that the 310hp engines in the Super SkyRocket conversion had inadequate ventillation and were prone to heat issues.

The only personal "negative" experience I have with the Super SkyRocket is that after having talked about it soooooooooo much....whenever I walk into my local FBO, a few of my CFI "buddies" like to break into a chorus of "SkyRockets in flight.....Afternoon Delight..."

They even managed to get ATC to say it once.

But I digress.... Back to your question :

A standard Turbo SkyMaster has a normal(ish) Useful load of around 1500# (I think).
My modified P-SkyMaster has a useful load of 1740#
The Super SkyRocket has an advertised useful load of 2000#....or so I have been told.
Owen Bell's (experimental) "Ultimate SkyMaster" mounts two IO-550 (350hp) driving 3-bladed scimetar Hartzels and supposedly has a Useful load of 2500#....for the price of a used lear jet or caravan. I took a demo flight in it and was very VERY impressed. Ya gotta hold back (a lot) on power at lower altitudes to avoid Vne.....but initial climb-out at 110kts gave us 3300fpm....no BS!!!! Its a beast. Last I heard, a variety of STC's were pending approval to get it out of "Experimental" classification.
Cole

Last edited by N5ZX : 04-08-10 at 06:17 AM.
Unread 04-09-10, 01:10 PM

Cole5Oh5 is on a distinguished road
Useful Load

Do you mean from the factory, or after Skyrocket LLC got through modifying it, or after someone else put their spin on things.
The max weight on a P model is about 4700. It can be increased, as a max takeoff weight, but the landing weight remains the same. The useful load would be max landing weight, minus empty weight. Unless Skyrocket LLC came up with a magic formula for reducing the empty weight of the aircraft, after adding 520's, big metal 3 blade props, and A/C, all of which were standard, there is no way a Super Skyrocket has a 2K useful load.
Sorry, someone was blowing smoke on you.
enjoy
Unread 04-09-10, 08:54 PM

Roger is an unknown quantity at this point
As per my original discussions with Micro-Air on why they didn't change the useful weight of the 337 with the development of the "337" for the micro-VG's, they stated that to increase the landing weight they would have been required to drop test some symasters to break/test the gear, and they were not interested in that expense. They also said that no company that they knew of had drop tested the skymasters at a heavier weight to increase the approved landing weight.

Might I suggest a Caravan, or maybe hooking a zeplin to a skymaster.

Holy crap, how much weight do you need to carry (other than the added weight of $200,000- worth of mods that perhasp can't even carry their own weight safely)?
Unread 04-09-10, 10:14 PM

like this

this should do it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zeplin.jpg
Views:	1502
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	1085  
Unread 04-09-10, 11:06 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
There is only one company that has an increased useful for 337's because they did the drop testing in house. They also don't share the certification.

Why don't you join us at Sun 'N Fun next week. I know of at least one S SRocket that will be there and you can ask him. I would venture to guess that the Super has a 13 or 1400 useful.

You can increase the Take off weight but not the landing weight. So bottom line is "live with what the airplane will do". If you need all the fuel burning power and gadgetry that a Super SRocket offers then live within the limits.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 04-10-10, 10:11 AM

Well Said

Well Said, Mr. Harney.

Live within the limits that were established at certification. If you can't do that, then enjoy the life as a test pilot.
Unread 12-15-10, 06:17 PM

captbilly is on a distinguished road
WHat mod did you get to get that Useful load?

Quote:
Originally Posted by N5ZX View Post
Howdy, Spa.
When I was shopping for SkyMasters last year I ran accross a Super SkyRocket that advertised a useful load of 2000#. I cross verified independantly that with Owen Bell. I do not know if that was for that specific aircraft or the general mod package. However, Owen seemed to indicate that it was indicative of Super SkyRockets in general.

He also said that the 310hp engines in the Super SkyRocket conversion had inadequate ventillation and were prone to heat issues.

The only personal "negative" experience I have with the Super SkyRocket is that after having talked about it soooooooooo much....whenever I walk into my local FBO, a few of my CFI "buddies" like to break into a chorus of "SkyRockets in flight.....Afternoon Delight..."

They even managed to get ATC to say it once.

But I digress.... Back to your question :

A standard Turbo SkyMaster has a normal(ish) Useful load of around 1500# (I think).
My modified P-SkyMaster has a useful load of 1740#
The Super SkyRocket has an advertised useful load of 2000#....or so I have been told.
Owen Bell's (experimental) "Ultimate SkyMaster" mounts two IO-550 (350hp) driving 3-bladed scimetar Hartzels and supposedly has a Useful load of 2500#....for the price of a used lear jet or caravan. I took a demo flight in it and was very VERY impressed. Ya gotta hold back (a lot) on power at lower altitudes to avoid Vne.....but initial climb-out at 110kts gave us 3300fpm....no BS!!!! Its a beast. Last I heard, a variety of STC's were pending approval to get it out of "Experimental" classification.
Cole
I owned a 1973 P337 for years and I am now thinking about getting another one. Mine had a useful load of about 1500, but as I recall that was unusually high for a P model. Mine was pretty decked out, full deice, and a full panel, but no A/C (I will get A/C this time) but many have more stuff than mine did. The ones I am seeing seem to have useful loads of about 1300-1400 so I was wondering how you got 1700?
Unread 12-15-10, 11:12 PM

JeffAxel is an unknown quantity at this point
My 1977 P337 had a full fuel (888lbs) payload of 400lbs. It had full deice, intercoolers and air conditioning. The plane simply couldn't carry enough on long trips, so that is why I sold it. My P210 has known icing, an intercooler, dual alternators, dual vacuum pumps, air conditioning and weather radar and its full fuel payload is 750lbs. It is only about 5 kts slower than my P337 (both at 65% power) and can climb faster due to better cooling. Don't get me wrong, I loved that P337, but a P210 will do more for less if you have a lot of stuff to haul a long way.
Unread 12-16-10, 03:37 PM

captbilly is on a distinguished road
After years in the USAF I just don't feel right with one engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAxel View Post
My 1977 P337 had a full fuel (888lbs) payload of 400lbs. It had full deice, intercoolers and air conditioning. The plane simply couldn't carry enough on long trips, so that is why I sold it. My P210 has known icing, an intercooler, dual alternators, dual vacuum pumps, air conditioning and weather radar and its full fuel payload is 750lbs. It is only about 5 kts slower than my P337 (both at 65% power) and can climb faster due to better cooling. Don't get me wrong, I loved that P337, but a P210 will do more for less if you have a lot of stuff to haul a long way.
In my entire 40 years of flying I have only shut down one engine for cause, but every time I fly over the Sierras, Rockies, at night or in real IFR, I can't help but think about what would happen if I lost the only engine I have. I realize that the accident stats on twin piston aircraft, including the skymaster, are not better than singles but I want to believe that my piloting experience is not typical of the pilots killing themselves in complex twins. I have fown many thousands of hours in everything from cessna 150s to supersonic fighters and B-52s. I recently saw the stats on accidents in Aero Albatros jet trainers in civilian hands. The accident rate was very high for pilots with no military time but was actually zero for ex USAF, Navy, Marine fixed wing pilots. It would seem that the diciplined and constant training in the military was uniquely benificial, for low performance jets at least. Maybe I am deluding myself but I hope that my experience significantly decreases the likelyhood that the remaining engine will simply carry me to the crash site.

By the way that one engine that I ever needed to shut down was in my Slymaster. I had a broken steel fuel injection line on the rear engine. I actually didn't know what had happened, I just saw a massive increase in fuel flow to the rear engine. It was actually my wife who said "why don't you just shut it down", so I did. When I finally landed and checked the engine I could see that fuel had been spewing from a completely severed (as in snapped in two) stainly steel injector line. I may have been seconds away from a major fire on that engine and there was no way I would have seen it or known about it unless it was night time and there were clouds to reflect the light from the fire. I guess I'll get some sort of fire warning system on my next Skymaster (maybe a camera in the engine compartment?) By the way the single engine return to the airport and landing was a complet non-event, like flying a big Cessna single.
Unread 12-16-10, 08:38 PM

Learjetter is on a distinguished road
"2"

"2" on captbilly's reason for wanting two motors. Double the chance of engine failure, sure, but almost no chance of an unplanned landing in a field somewhere. That's exactly why I'm looking for my skymaster...she's out there somewhere...I'll find her soon, I hope...
Unread 12-17-10, 08:13 AM

Gord Tessier is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjetter View Post
"2" on captbilly's reason for wanting two motors. Double the chance of engine failure, sure, but almost no chance of an unplanned landing in a field somewhere. That's exactly why I'm looking for my skymaster...she's out there somewhere...I'll find her soon, I hope...
What are you looking for exactly?
Unread 12-17-10, 08:49 AM

Roger is an unknown quantity at this point
I suppose it goes without saying that if you have a 3 engine plane, you are 3 times more likely to have an engine failure ?

The point is: Keep your plane loaded correctly so if you lose an engine you maximize your chances of landing safely, stay current on single engine out procedures, and fly with much more confidence in a 337 than virtually any non-turbine produced.

Sure, it may not meet the mission profile for everyone, or circumstance. But there is really only one aircraft that I would trust my family in. Period !

p.s. No Mods except VG's !
Unread 12-17-10, 03:01 PM

Todd Gessel is on a distinguished road
1700 lb useful load

My humble opinion is that the Skymaster useful load is one of its best features. My '77 337G is non-pressurized and normally aspirated and the useful load is just under 1700 lbs. Even full fuel, it hard to overload. I love this airplane!
Unread 12-17-10, 06:58 PM

Learjetter is on a distinguished road
Wishlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord Tessier View Post
What are you looking for exactly?
Gord,
I want what many want: The ideally equipped low time airplane that somebody else spent big bucks maintaining and upgrading perfectly over the years. I want everything I have in the Lear: radar, TCAS, TACAN, radar altimeter, digital radios, ADS-B, 1090ES, EADI, EHSI, WAAS FMS, and the gear door mod. Oh, since we're dreaming, how about low time motors, air conditioning, full intercom, Bose headsets, and a baggage door. Full autopilot and spoilers. And all for under $125K.

I've not flown GA enough to know what on this list isn't necessary: does a Garmin xxx replace an FMS? What the heck is the use of a DG with no course indicator?

I need a GA refresher--and ten hours in type, I'm looking for someone to teach me the systems and such for a skymaster while getting the ten hours.

I'm a dreamer...such a plane does not exist...until I buy one and make it so. So I'm looking for one that I can do that with...

I shoulda come to Branson in 09...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: