Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 02-19-11, 10:13 AM
TAS (Thin Air Seeker)

Jerry De Santis is on a distinguished road
Smile 2011 Flyin in Ohio

I had the opportunity to fly into Dayton Wright Brothers Airport (MGY) last week on business. Nice airport and very friendly people at the FBO. There will be plenty of parking and things to do. Also, on the airport is a small museum that has a flying Wright Brothers Flyer that you can get short hop rides on the Saturday of the breakfast sponsored by the FBO.

There are pleanty of parking spots with tie downs and I think this flyin holds lots of possibilities for both fun and learning about the machines we love to fly.

I am also attempting to setup a special tour of the National USAF museum on WPAFB that is about a 20 minute drive north west of MGY.

Oh! Those flying in from the north to MGY, about 8 miles north of the airport there are really 5 to 6 tall tall towers. I flew there on an IFR flight plan and when ATC instructed me to desend to 3,000 feet I did so and broke out of the clouds about 3200 feet and there were the towers. No room for any alt errors there, so fly safely. Looking forward to this flyin and seeing old friends again.

Cheers!
Jerry
Unread 02-20-11, 10:18 AM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Jerry

The towers you described are 2050 ft MSL. Big, tall, sticks protruding from the ground in places that are less than desired. The MSA for the LOC/DME approach is 2700 ft (3100 for the RNAV) so that gives us a 650 ft buffer. Not a lot of room for discrepancies. Better make sure the altimeter is set and the pilot is alert. These protruding creatures are found on the sectional at the 10 nm ring for DAY (Cox Intl.) at the southern portion just north of MGY, our base airport for the SOAPA fly-in.

Big thanks to Jerry for scouting the FBO and facilities for us at Wright Brothers Airport (MGY). Stay tuned for more information on the 50th Anniversary of the Skymaster event.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-1.jpg
Views:	1024
Size:	431.1 KB
ID:	1195   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	1041
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	1196  

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 03-16-11, 04:30 PM
Forum Administrator

Registration is Ready on Home page

The SOAPA Fly-in committee is moving forward with the arrangements for the 2011 Event. Please visit the HOME page for all the information. We will be adding more information so check back often. If you have any questions about the registration, hotel, airport, agenda please ask or comment.

http://www.337skymaster.com/

All of the rooms at the Double Tree are two room suites. We are locked in at $89.00 single / double occupancy. If you are planning to go please make hotel reservations quickly so that we can be sure to have enough rooms. They can be canceled based on their policy if needed. Looking forward to a great Celebration.

Unread 03-17-11, 08:07 PM

stackj is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to stackj
Hey Herb...

How do you like that iPad and foreflight? I love mine. I could never find an approach plate so quickly before!
Unread 03-17-11, 09:57 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Like This??

Jim,
You mean like this?? I was very fortunate to be able to tag along with Herb when he went to Dayton.

Oh, and we had the "Glass Cockpit" in place, as we were cruising along, with a good tail wind. Another useful tool. I had my iPhone, Herb had his, and we both had iPads. In addition to all the technology that Herb has permanently attached to 2JF.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	chart.JPG
Views:	1055
Size:	440.7 KB
ID:	1204   Click image for larger version

Name:	cruising.PNG
Views:	1075
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	1205  
Unread 03-25-11, 02:05 PM

stackj is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to stackj
OK - You got me! Having read your reply, I went right out an got the flight instrument package. I'll have to see what it does in the airplane.

Have you purchased the foreflight upgrade? I haven't, but we ordered Jenny's iPad 2 on opening day and will probably put the advanced foreflight on hers... She always gets the good stuff :-)
Unread 03-26-11, 07:18 AM
Web Master

Of course

Isn't that because it's her airplane??

WingX may come to Dayton to put on a demo. If they don't come, they will send a give away, 1 free app.
Unread 03-27-11, 11:20 AM

James T Grant is on a distinguished road
Flight Instrument Page

Dear Sirs,
I am correct in understanding that there is now available a working EFIS style Attitude Indicator to program to run on the I-Pad/I-Phone?
If so, please post a link as this is something that I have been hoping would become available. Back ups for back ups.
Many thanks in advance.
James T Grant
336-0145 N3845U
Unread 03-27-11, 02:37 PM
Web Master

Yes Sir

Mr. Grant, Sir. The application was developed by a company called BBflight. http://www.bbflight.com/ It will run on the iPhone, and may run on the iPad. Their documentation says that it needs a gyroscope, which is present in the iPhone 4, and the iPad 2. I have an iPad 1, so I have not tried it.

It does have an available database, of North America. The app is $4.99, the NA database is $2.99. One shortcoming I see with it is that it only gives you the option of selecting "nearby" airports. However, in an emergency, that's what you most want to see.

It is remarkably sensitive. You would want some sort of windshield mount, to reduce the vibration, and hold it in a stable attitude in the aircraft. Holding it in your hand makes it difficult to accurately determine your attitude.

I have flown in Herb's Skymaster with it, and in my neighbor's Aeronca, and it works very well.

I will add that I had the application called iHUD, and it does not work.
Unread 03-27-11, 02:45 PM
Web Master

Additional Information about Flight Instrument

I came across this page on the BBflight website, and wanted to point it out.

http://www.bbflight.com/home/FlightI...sked-questions

It says that you can use the application on an iPad.
Unread 03-27-11, 10:54 PM
Forum Administrator

The photo is when flying in the Twin Comanche several weeks ago. I have a Ram iPhone mount that I bought from Amazon for about $20 and it works great. Holds well and that is important while flying in some rough air. The Ram mounts just work best.

This photo shows the bearing to the destination in magenta line. It is pretty accurate although does not react or update the altitude and speed as quick as Foreflight. The gyro action is good but must be calibrated in level flight first and then if you change to another app or function when you come back to BB Flight you have to acknowledge the disclaimer and re-calibrate again. Might be distracting in IMC to have to do this.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	iPhone horizon.PNG
Views:	954
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	1206  

Unread 03-30-11, 10:46 PM

wfreestone is on a distinguished road
Seattle Avionics SkyPad2 tablet Voyager EFB

I highly recommend the excellent Seattle Avionics SkyPad2 tablet Voyager EFB (Electronic Flight Bag):
which has an excellent optomizing (for lowest fuel prices, shorted flight route, and winds aloft) auto-routing flight planner, geo-referenced aircraft position (via a battery powered blue-tooth linked small WAAS GPS) on its VFR and IFR scanned and digital charts and IFR approach plates, automatic (no manual intervention other than having it on and connected to the internet) aviation data base updates, XM WX (via a blue-tooth linked receiver).
With its book style leather case open, it fits on my standard kneeboard via the kneeboard's standard spring chart clip.
There is availalble several subscription types, including a one-time $829 life-time subscription aviation ChartData database update (which I got for free when I purchased by SkyPad2 tablet EFB during a Thanksgiving Black Friday special).

I had previously compared it (in NOV 2010) with the iPAD and its various available aviation apps -- and consider it better. I still consider it better than the current iPAD available aviation apps.

For more info <http://www.seattleavionics.com/default.aspx>.
Or, see Seattle Avionics at Sun-N-Fun Fly-In this week (29 MAR - 02 APR 2011) in Lakeland, FL where (per their recent newsletter) Seattle Avionics has a special for the 1st 100 people who buy a SkyPad2 at Sun-N-Fun.

William W. Freestone
(an extremely pleased Seattle Avionics SkyPad2 tablet Voyager EFB customer).
Unread 03-31-11, 08:57 AM
Web Master

Seattle Avionics

ForeFlight, offers the Seattle Avionics mapping system for the iPad. The cost is $149. It gets you the geo-referenced approach plates. Personally, I can't imagine watching my geo-referenced approach plate while shooting an actual approach.
Unread 04-01-11, 01:05 PM
Web Master

Xm Weather

On the iPad

https://www.baronservices.com/news_pdf/MobileLink.pdf
Unread 04-06-11, 09:40 AM
Web Master

Agenda

The tentative agenda is up. There is a link on the front page, and I am attaching it here.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SoapaAgenda.pdf (117.7 KB, 1057 views)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: