Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 11-01-11, 09:35 AM

Todd Gessel is on a distinguished road
O-2's Part 2

We had, of course, the occasional problem at Hickam. I remember one pilot who landed nose gear first and managed to snap the gear off completely and ding the front propeller. I went out to see what had happened and got a load of bullshit and a strong whiff of gin from the pilot. The plane (he claimed) was nose heavy on landing and the elevator trim was inoperative. He couldn't get the nose up. Furthermore, his transmitter was out and he couldn't tell anyone about his problems. I checked the plane and found the elevator trimmed full nose down, but the trim switch and trim tab worked just fine. Just to the left of the trim switch, I noticed that the micro phone toggle switch was actually bent backwards. After several hours of martinis, the pilot was trying to trim using the mic switch. He trimmed the plane full nose down while trying to talk to the control tower on the trim switch. Case closed.

None of these accidents consumed any of my time. I had learned another quirk in the AFSC way of doing business. Appearances aside, the aircraft were not Air Force aircraft and wouldn't be until they arrived in Saigon and were formally delivered and accepted. Since they weren't, technically, Air Force air-craft; they couldn't have an Air Force accident. The planes weren't registered as civil aircraft, so they couldn't have a civil accident either. They were in regulatory limbo and any accidents were non-events. Nobody cared.

That suited me just fine. I had other things to do and I couldn't see how an investigation of stupidity would contribute anything to the Air Force safety program.

Incidentally, how do you suppose they got the O-2s out of Vietnam and back to the United States? They took the wings off, stuffed them three at a time into the belly of C-124s and flew them back. AFSC was not involved which, I later learned, tended to improve almost any operation.
Unread 11-01-11, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
It's great to get the skinny on that affair. However, I had been under the impression that the one aircraft that ditched, did so because the excessive oil pumped into the engine finally overwhelmed the spark plugs. I think it was in a chapter on the book about Skymasters, and the story was that this one engine had been so perfectly assembled (before we had computers and automation to match engine parts) that it had near-zero oil consumption, so the additional oil got all the way up into the combustion chambers.

Ernie Martin
Unread 11-01-11, 05:40 PM

Todd Gessel is on a distinguished road
Hi Ernie,
I had read the same thing as you. It was in the book titled "Cessna - Wings for the World - Development of the 300 Series Twins" by William D. Thompson