Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-10-12, 05:25 PM

jhickam is an unknown quantity at this point
Annual Inspections Cost

Just curious about the cost of annual inspections. I just had one completeted on a 1973 337G non turbo for the price in the $4000-$4500 range. It did not have any major problems and very few minor problems. Most of my annuals have been $2000-$3000 or less in the past 10 years. Would like to hear other owners thoughts on this subject.
Unread 04-10-12, 10:27 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Was the annual from the same shop that has done the inspections in the past? Things change really quick when a new set of eyes looks over the airplane.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 04-12-12, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Did you use the "Search" feature on this page to see prior discussions on this subject? You will get a faster response and probably more in-depth response.

Cost can be substantially reduced if you work with an A&P that allows you to do some of the work (a lot of the manpower goes to removing and replacing inspection plates, seats, carpeting, etc., and who wants to pay $50 - 80 per hour for that work?) and if you do a diligent search for parts. All of that in prior posts.

Ernie
Unread 04-12-12, 12:55 PM

The shop where I had the inspection performed does not allow the owner to help. The reason being I was told was the aircraft owner is not an A&P. I learned later that his one employee in not an A&P, but is on the job training to be one which I think is great nothing against the young man wanting to learn the trade.

Last edited by jhickam : 04-12-12 at 12:58 PM.
Unread 04-12-12, 09:35 PM
Forum Administrator

Was the annual performed at the same place that you have used in the past? Was this a new shop that did the current work?

Unread 04-13-12, 02:51 AM

I have used this shop in the past because it is located on the field. Previous annuals at this shop were the most expensive compared to the other shops at other fields. This shop is the only person allowed to perform annuals on the field according to the airport manager. The airport manager will not allow any other person to perform inspections unless they rent so many square feet of hanger space in an approved hanger. I am not allowed to hire an outside inspector to perform any services in my hanger which is about 3000 square ft.
Unread 04-13-12, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
It's probably too late for this annual, but you might make inquiries on whether the airport manager may be exceeding his authority. In a sense, he is interfering with your ability to maintain the aircraft airworthy, something which the FAA might object to. Suppose the shop, after multiple tries, fails to correct a problem. You can't bring an outside expert to inspect? Say there is an airframe crack. You can't bring an FAA structural DER (Designated Engineering Representative)? Worth exploring for next time if you're not happy with this year's annual.

Ernie
Unread 04-13-12, 02:52 PM

Roger is an unknown quantity at this point
An airport that has received federal funds can not prevent you or your "employees" from working on your aircraft, nor can they enforce a lease that restricts your ability to do so or grants exclusive rights to any particular individual or entity.

Example: http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/m...150_5190_6.pdf
Unread 04-13-12, 10:06 PM
Forum Administrator

Roger, your link did not work for me. Not sure how to find what you intended. Interesting thoughts Ernie, my AI has issues with AZO and working on the property. They claim that if he has no facility on the airport he cannot work in customers hanger. I always just assumed it was an airport local policy to protect the interest of the business's already there and established. He has several clients that fly their planes to remote airports so that he can work on them. There is a choice of two (use to be three) shops at AZO so there is no monopoly going down.

JHickem, what I was trying to understand in your situation was the relationship and frequency of work that this shop has done on your plane. You are still a little reserved in your response but it sounds like you may used this shop but it's not your regular first choice. I have had situations like this and sometimes put myself in the situation just to have a new set of eyes look the airframe over. My average owner assist annual is in the $2,000 range but have paid as high as $10,000. In the past 23 years that I have been paying the annuals on 2JF I have had 3 annuals that were specifically unique shops. Even though there has been probably at least 3 times that a repeat shop has looked at 2JF the first time I am not counting those because I did multiple years of annuals with those shops. But other than the $10K the other two were in the $6,000 range. Hope this helps to understand that it pays to find the right shop and try to stick with them as much as possible.

Unread 04-14-12, 04:27 PM

Roger is an unknown quantity at this point
Try this link:

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_polic...cumentID/22331
Unread 04-14-12, 11:55 PM

Skymaster337B is an unknown quantity at this point
That AC is very black and white! I feel like going to that airport right now and perform an annual inspection.
Unread 04-16-12, 08:08 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Move

Inquire at other shops in your area, ones that you could conceivably drive to, and ask them about experience with Skymasters, and owner assisted annuals. You don't want to pay some one to learn, but if you are there, the cost can be mitigated.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: