Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-07-20, 12:18 PM

Rick Erwin is on a distinguished road
You're welcome Karl.

I went through the same considerations myself, then finally zeroing in on the MVP-50P ... it's just so capable.

To maximize your installation, it really pays dividends to fully understand ALL its capabilities so you can get it configured with the sensors you want, and the screens laid out just the way you want them.

Rick
Unread 12-08-20, 10:00 AM

Skymasterdriver is on a distinguished road
Did the cables sent with your mvp 50 allow you to put the junction box or edc or something like that in various places? Where did you mount it ? I bought the mvps 50s for my plane, is there anything that you wise you would have added or changed if you could reconfigure yours ?
Unread 12-09-20, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skymasterdriver View Post
Did the cables sent with your mvp 50 allow you to put the junction box or edc or something like that in various places? Where did you mount it ? I bought the mvps 50s for my plane, is there anything that you wise you would have added or changed if you could reconfigure yours ?
I do not recall having to order longer cables, I asked EI about the longer cables to accommodate the rear engine and they said the system would come with the cables I need.

The rear engine EDC is in the cabin ceiling forward of the aft pressure bulkhead, aft on my ELT, on the right side. The front EDC is behind the co-pilot's panel on a fabricated plate that is mounted on the sidewall.

I used all the inputs available to the EDCs. If I would have had one more input, I would have added a hydraulic pressure readout.

Is your plane turbocharged or pressurized? If so, there are several things you will need and some that you might want to allow for. With the addition of some optional sensors, you can enable some additional functions that don't use any of the EDC input channels.

Rick
Unread 12-28-20, 01:23 AM

california Sky is on a distinguished road
EI Product

We went with the EI Product for the 58C a 73 P version.

We can send all then details we went with going back and fourth with EI if that’s helpful!

For Rick do have pics of how the install went in 337K?

Any learning curves on the install / post install?

Thanks
Unread 12-28-20, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california Sky View Post

We can send all then details we went with going back and fourth with EI if that’s helpful!

Thanks
I have some pictures... I’ll try to get an album put together in the next few days and place a link here ...
Unread 01-02-21, 12:49 PM

Thanks Rick
My skymaster is a 75 g model non pressurized non Turbocharged and is fixed gear so will not need any gear or pressurized inputs. I ask Ei if the heads would accompany those things in the event something happens to my plane if it would transfer to another one and these said yes it could be added to another plane later with those specifications
Unread 01-02-21, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california Sky View Post

Thanks
I just posted the pictures under a new thread for the MVP-50P.

I've had a pleasant experience in working with the folks from EI. They have been very accommodating.

After the airplane is flying again, I'll just need to send them the configuration files for them to make a couple of changes, re-install the new files, and I think I'll be done.

Rick
Unread 01-02-21, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks Rick
My skymaster is a 75 g model non pressurized non Turbocharged and is fixed gear so will not need any gear or pressurized inputs. I ask Ei if the heads would accompany those things in the event something happens to my plane if it would transfer to another one and these said yes it could be added to another plane later with those specifications
That's good to know. All the limitations expressed in the EI instrument would HAVE to be exactly the same for a different airplane, otherwise you'd have to send them your configuration files and they would have to update them for you. I don't think that would be a big deal though.

Rick
Unread 01-03-21, 02:59 PM

We have both engines off and I’m assuming you pulled all the old wires out, I am going to do a new weight and balance on mine, we will rent some scales and get a new weight on 504. How did you determine the weight difference after your install?
Unread 01-03-21, 03:38 PM

Quote:
We have both engines off and I’m assuming you pulled all the old wires out, I am going to do a new weight and balance on mine, we will rent some scales and get a new weight on 504. How did you determine the weight difference after your install?
Yes, we pulled all the old wires out.

My IA has the scales and ramps to do the re-weigh, once we are at the point we can put the interior back in.

One thing to think ahead about is ... if you are going have new electronic engine instrumentation that includes a fuel quantity indication is: You will need to calibrate the new fuel indication system with the tanks incrementally from empty through full, but the airplane will need to be weighed while empty. So, try to weight it before you do the fuel calibration, otherwise you'll have up to 30 5-gallon buckets of fuel sitting around.
Unread 02-28-21, 05:26 PM

CO_Skymaster is on a distinguished road
To Rick,

I'm getting closer to purchasing my MVP-50's. EI said they might have a rebate program in place around Sun-n-Fun in April, so I'm targeting that time. I would appreciate if you could answer 2 questions since you already bought one.

1. I noticed on your picture, you have an ALT1, ALT2, BATT, and BUS. My Skymaster has a switch that changes from REG1, REG2, and BATT. I guess that is for the pilot to switch since there is originally only one Volt meter. Did you remove that switch and this is how your system looks at the voltage pickups.

2. Did you use the EI P-300M fuel sensors. My mechanic recommend a fuel sensor, but it's twice as much as the EI sensors. I just wanted to know if you bought those, if you are satisfied with the sensor.

Thanks for any help,

Karl
Unread 02-28-21, 05:37 PM

Hi Karl,

1. I did not have that switch, and I had a single voltmeter that read bus voltage. I wanted to be able to see the various voltages to know what’s going on with the electrical system, so that’s how I designed the layout and configuration.

2. I used the EI fuel sensors recommended for my installation. I have yet to fly the plane, but my IA has run the engines and said everything was working fine.

I hope this helps.

Rick
Unread 02-28-21, 07:23 PM

CO_Skymaster is on a distinguished road
Yes, it does.

Thanks
Unread 03-02-21, 10:31 AM

Learjetter is on a distinguished road
Just FYI - - I've got some FAA airworthiness guys working with DER/DAR at EI to get the EI CGR-30P approved for skymasters. Eventually, EI wants the 337 on the AML for the CGR-30P combo STC. No word yet on completion dates for the project, but EI is working on it.

** July 2021 Edit: My FAA airworthiness guys are telling me that their position is "Non-STC'd engine instrumentation is not eligible for Field Approval, any any request would have to be forwarded to the Airworthiness Certification Office for Evaluation", per their job aid . Specifically, Row D.13k or D.13t requires either a STC or an EVL (at the ACO). Bottom line for me: Until EI gets the CGR-30 added to the AML, it's a no-go. I'm now really thinking JPI-960.

Last edited by Learjetter : 07-19-21 at 10:41 AM. Reason: -Added July 2021 update the FAA Airworthiness position
Unread 04-01-21, 07:52 PM

hayesjaj is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjetter View Post
Just FYI - - I've got some FAA airworthiness guys working with DER/DAR at EI to get the EI CGR-30P approved for skymasters. Eventually, EI wants the 337 on the AML for the CGR-30P combo STC. No word yet on completion dates for the project, but EI is working on it.
My cluster gauge is on its way out the door (bad CHT gauges and senders with no replacement available, cracked glass, etc) so I am going to do the cluster replacement with my 73G model first. I talked to Blake from EI and he confirmed that I could do that and install two EDC units, one for each engine, then install the other instruments later. Still needs a field approval, so when I get some clarity on that I'll post back.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: