Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-16-10, 02:06 PM

Skymaster337B is an unknown quantity at this point
Be prepared for water survival, and you'll never need it. Not just a raft, but personal flotation devices and anti-exposure suits for everyone -- hypothermia is the #1 killer once in the water] , plus water desalination pumps x2, food, signaling devices (mirrors, radios, flares), fishing kits, etc.
Unread 05-16-10, 03:30 PM

tropical is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skymaster337B View Post
Be prepared for water survival, and you'll never need it. Not just a raft, but personal flotation devices and anti-exposure suits for everyone -- hypothermia is the #1 killer once in the water] , plus water desalination pumps x2, food, signaling devices (mirrors, radios, flares), fishing kits, etc.
Consider if a ditching happens with all the right conditions and you're at the halfway point, it will be at least an hour and half before you may see a CG helicopter, that is if you got a distress message off in time with a position.
Unread 05-16-10, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree that it will probably take 1 - 2 hrs before rescue arrives, but I think a) it's a near certainty that your distress message will be heard, and b) given the relatively short time you will be in the water, some of that equipment is nice to have but not necessary.

From 10,000 feet to a controlled ditching there's lots of time to make calls. You have hand-held aviation and marine band radios if you've lost all power, and an always-on, hand-held GPS.

The two water desalination pumps can be dispensed with if you take the water I suggest in the Ditching page, in the containers suggested. Depending on when you go, the anti-exposure suits can also be dispensed with, especially if you carry a raft; for instance, today's water temp for the area ranges from 78 deg near the mid-point to 73 deg near Bermuda (see www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/satl_tmap.html), and in August those temperatures rise to over 80 deg (see http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_his...?station=41048). Remember that you're not just depending on your distress call being heard, but that SAR will be dispatched within one hour of your failure to arrive. I would be comfortable with that, but for even greater comfort consider Ahab's suggestion to rent a satphone.

Ernie
Unread 05-16-10, 08:39 PM

tropical is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Martin View Post
I agree that it will probably take 1 - 2 hrs before rescue arrives, but I think a) it's a near certainty that your distress message will be heard, and b) given the relatively short time you will be in the water, some of that equipment is nice to have but not necessary.

From 10,000 feet to a controlled ditching there's lots of time to make calls. You have hand-held aviation and marine band radios if you've lost all power, and an always-on, hand-held GPS.

The two water desalination pumps can be dispensed with if you take the water I suggest in the Ditching page, in the containers suggested. Depending on when you go, the anti-exposure suits can also be dispensed with, especially if you carry a raft; for instance, today's water temp for the area ranges from 78 deg near the mid-point to 73 deg near Bermuda (see www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/satl_tmap.html), and in August those temperatures rise to over 80 deg (see http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_his...?station=41048). Remember that you're not just depending on your distress call being heard, but that SAR will be dispatched within one hour of your failure to arrive. I would be comfortable with that, but for even greater comfort consider Ahab's suggestion to rent a satphone.

Ernie
Hypothermia in water from 70 to 80 degrees can cause loss of conscious or exhaustion anywhere from 3 to 12 hours. This is dependent on many factors such as the health of the individual.

I've gone through ditching and water survival courses. Just getting in the raft can be difficult at best, once again depending upon the individual. Also ditching the aircraft may or may not work out to well depending upon sea state and the ability of the pilot to ditch "correctly".

I've flown extended over water in many places around the world. This is serious business and not to be taken lightly by weekend flyers.
Unread 05-17-10, 01:46 PM

Guy Paris is an unknown quantity at this point
Remembering ditching training getting into the raft, (or a boat).

Back in the 70's on a Florida layover, my Captain, me, and a stewardess yes called that back then decided to go and find Bee Bee Rebosa's home, a friend of President Nixon, somewhere on Dinner Key in FL. Well the Skipper an old navy pilot was in charge barking the orders we set sail. He had a map and all and sure enough we run aground. Out of the boat we (3) go after dropping the main sail, pull the line now at the top of the mast to tip the boat and push it into deeper water. That accomplished we now (try) to get back into the boat. My Captain couldn't, the stewardess couldn't and me a 30 something then, was able to get back in. I pulled the stewardess back in and then looking at the Captain hanging on to the gun rail he say's well pull me in. With that I placed my foot on his hand and said, what's your seniority number? Wishing I had a camera, I pulled him in. Was I ever surprised how difficult it was to get back in the boat. Could I do it today? Maybe not!

Guy the old 72 driver....

Last edited by Guy Paris : 05-19-10 at 07:47 PM.
Unread 05-18-10, 04:11 PM

Cole5Oh5 is on a distinguished road
More to the Point

Here's an article written by someone who ACTUALLY flew to Bermuda. Kind of the difference between a baseball player, and someone who writes about it.
It's a little out of date, 2 years, but has good points.

http://www.aerostar-owners.com/AOAlog-fall2008.pdf
The index says it starts on page 17, but in PDF form, it actually begins on page 20.

Interesting to note, the flight to Bermuda was VFR below FL060.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: