Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-04-06, 05:42 PM

Nick Bailey is an unknown quantity at this point
Rear cowl intermittent

My rear cowl flaps have been staying open on intermittent occasions. When the toggle switch is placed up, to open, the annunciator/light immediately lights like it does as if the cowls have reached fully closed and limit switch stops the motor. Flaps never stick closed, only open. Then the next time I fly, they will close normally when the toggle is placed up to the closed position. On next cycle, they always open but may not close again. Next flight, they might not close when initially prompted, but then at end of flight, close as normal. This intermittent pattern is same flying or on ground with only master on, so I don't suspect a voltage or mechanical problem. Could this be the limit switch, or the motor? I have checked and cleaned wiring as best without removing motor. Motor appears clean at least exterior. My mechanic suspects worn motor brushes. But why does stop limit light come on immediately? Any advice appreciated.
Unread 05-04-06, 06:46 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
I have spent a lot of time working on cowl flap motors. I had a leak in my front engine that it took us a while to find. Under the supervision of my mechanic, I removed my cowl flap motor for cleaning, took it to an A&P radio shop mechanic for disassembly, cleaning, and reassembling, reinstalled and rerigged the motor five times. (I was very glad when we finally got the leak fixed.)

From that experience, I am certain that the light comes on (and the motor stops moving) when the limit switch is actuated. The brushes cannot create the behavior you are describing. If the motor stops moving without a light (and your bulb is good), you have a motor or wiring problem. If it stops moving with a light, you have a switch problem.

I think I fixed about every wiring problem you can have with my motor, because the repeated remove/replace cycles caused me to have to resolder or replace much of the wiring that connects the motor (it kept breaking from too much mechanical movement).

You can test my description yourself, if you can get your fingers to where you need to. You can get someone to move the switch and get the motor moving, then push on the limit switch. The motor will stop and the light will come on, because it thinks the cowl flap is open (or closed, whichever way you are going).

I don't have a wiring diagram any more, but as I recall, the switch was a double throw type, so for the light to go on, the motor circuit had to be broken and simultaneously the light circuit was made. So I don't think cleaning contacts on the switch is going to help.

The fact that the cowl flaps only stick closed (refuse to open) is another clue. Motor brushes would cause a problem approximately equally in both directions. Failing only in the open direction points directly to the limit switch that actuates when the cowl flaps are fully open.

I would replace the switch, and see how things go.

I am not an A&P, this is just advice from a former owner. Please consult with your A&P and decide what you think is best.

Kevin
Unread 05-05-06, 02:41 PM

big al 08 is an unknown quantity at this point
mine had a broken wire in the harness
Unread 05-05-06, 04:31 PM

Pete Somers is an unknown quantity at this point
Nick
As Kevin has said this is a problem with the limit switches. Check the wires on them as they do break and you cannot always tell as the joints are usauly covered with a heat shrink sleeve.
Check the rigging of the limit micro switches as they do change with age.
Check the roller cams on the end of the microswitch operating lever, they wear.

The rear cowl flap system is of course the hardest one to get to with out removing the top cowl!!!!

Regards
Pete

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: