Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-20-20, 10:13 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
What oil level are you operating the engine at?

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 04-20-20, 11:05 PM

TomM is on a distinguished road
I keep it between 7 and 8 quarts. In the Hawk XP I used to fly it seemed like if you had more than 8 quarts it would blow it out. Similar motor, different plane.

Is that the range I should run it in or have you guys found a different range to be better?

Never thought to ask what level I should run it at. Thoughts??
Unread 04-21-20, 01:26 PM
Forum Administrator

7 quarts seems to be about max from what I have heard. Typically you would allow it to stabilize and see where it levels off at. My engines like 6 quarts. If I keep the level at 7 it greases things up more. Also depending on how hard you run the engines seems to change the amount blown out. If I run 2500 rpm it will tend to be more grease if I run 2350 rpm it seems to be less.

Also not all dip sticks are stamped correctly. This is retaliative to knowing exactly what you have in the sump but not necessarily where the level stabilizes at. But when you change your oil dump 6 quarts in and let it sit for a little bit then see what the stick says. Remember the filter takes a quart too. When my dip stick says 6 I have dumped 7 quarts in the engine.

Unread 04-21-20, 01:37 PM

Thanks for the info! My oil and filters will be here this week and I planned on changing the oil this weekend. I will do exactly what you said below to determine the ACTUAL oil levels. Admittedly the dipsticks are really hard to read. I had to clean them up, use a magnifying glass and flash light to read the markings and then scribe lines at the 6 and 8 quart marks to make them easier to read at a glance glance. Thanks again!!
Unread 04-21-20, 08:45 PM

frank.oconnor19 is on a distinguished road
I too have found that the oil is best around 7 qts on the dipstick, any more and I just wipe it off the belly. I use 8 qts on an oil change. Not sure what others are doing but I am changing the oil every 30+ hours. Use 50W in colder months and 100W in warmer. No multi viscosity. But that is just me.

I did put in the quick drain plugs, they are STC'd and make getting the oil out of the front engine a lot cleaner.

Frank
Unread 04-22-20, 05:18 PM

MD83driver is on a distinguished road
May I ask who holds the STC for the front quick drain plug, I need to get myself one.
Unread 04-22-20, 09:51 PM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank.oconnor19 View Post

I did put in the quick drain plugs, they are STC'd and make getting the oil out of the front engine a lot cleaner.

Frank
I did not know that there was a quick drain for the front engine.....was always told the nose wheel is too close

Unread 04-23-20, 07:39 AM

frank.oconnor19 is on a distinguished road
Quick Drain Plug

this is the one I have, You need to probe attachment as well, there is a 180 degree and a 90 degree version. This is the link to the part. I use the 180 degree version and a section of radiator hose to just have the oil go directly into drain pan. Now if I could only fin a way to keep the case clean when the oil filter comes off.

https://bogertaviation.com/products/...sa4024nm-valve

Frank

Last edited by frank.oconnor19 : 04-23-20 at 07:49 AM.
Unread 04-23-20, 12:03 PM

cjordan is on a distinguished road
I too have found 7 quarts is max, without just blowing it out. It tends to stabilize around 6.
Unread 04-23-20, 07:11 PM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank.oconnor19 View Post
this is the one I have, You need to probe attachment as well, there is a 180 degree and a 90 degree version. This is the link to the part. I use the 180 degree version and a section of radiator hose to just have the oil go directly into drain pan. Now if I could only fin a way to keep the case clean when the oil filter comes off.

https://bogertaviation.com/products/...sa4024nm-valve

Frank
That is a pretty expensive set up. $310.00 worth? Not sure I would put this on. It's so easy to just open the nose gear doors and reach up to remove the plug. I guess in thinking about it the quick drain would reduce the chance for over tightening the plug, having to keep crush washers available and wire tying. I may have just talked myself into one of these. Haha

Frank, I am going to have to show you my oil filter trick. It works about 90% on the front and 100% on the rear. Ziplock bag technique

Unread 04-23-20, 08:57 PM

MD83driver is on a distinguished road
Frank, Thanks for the link to the quick drain, Just purchased one for the front engine. They were also having a 20% off sale at the time of my purchase. My reason for getting one is to eliminate the constant removal of the drain plug. Keeping exposure low. Thanks again for the heads up.
Unread 04-24-20, 07:41 PM

cjordan is on a distinguished road
Has anyone tried one of the vacuum systems where a plastic line goes down the dipstick tube? I use this on vehicles all the time. No mess at all. At least in vehicles, it seems to get all of it out, can hear sucking air if you pull off the bottom of the pan when it's empty. The one I have used is called a topsider.

I may see what happens trying this next time around.
Unread 04-27-20, 10:20 AM
Forum Administrator

I've seen some Lycoming equipped planes use this because they are subject to cam rust. If you fly once a week not usually a problem with these Continentals but can't hurt. They use a tube of desiccant material to draw the air through

Unread 04-27-20, 11:06 AM

JAG is on a distinguished road
Oil change

cjordan - I change oil on one of my cars that way and never thought of using on the aircraft...It would make for a clean way of changing the oil on the aircraft, but I always wondered how much old oil or sediment gets left behind, versus using the low point like the drain plug. Certainly something to consider though as an alternative once and while.
Jeff
Unread 04-28-20, 04:13 PM

Update: I changed the oil (wish I would have thought about the zipper baggies - what a mess!!). 7 quarts before starting the engine showed as 6 quarts on the front dip stick and less than that on the rear with the plane level. So I am sure I was running 8 or better in the beginning - which ended up on the belly and tail.

I have 40 hrs logged now and I am totally kicking myself in the butt for not getting one of these things 20 years ago!!!! I love it so much!

I want to thank this group for being a positive influence on me as well as preparing me financially for the annual inspections and the like. You guys are great!

This will be my last post on this thread so it doesn't get out of hand topic wise.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: