Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 08-04-05, 05:22 PM

Ron Moore is an unknown quantity at this point
magnet problem?

I'm not aware of a magnet problem.....?
Unread 08-04-05, 06:16 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
Since it is an antennae, it needs a clear view of the sky, so if it is designed to go on the glare shield, it can't go too far away from the compass.

I would think you could get an exterior antennae for it, which your shop would have to install, but maybe they don't have them available yet. Since most compasses are near the glare shield, it seems weird that they would design something like this. But engineers have screwed up before, and will again...

Kevin
Unread 08-04-05, 06:39 PM

Rickskymaster is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 396 since OSH and have now flowen with it for 6-8 hours, I put the receiver up on the glare shield off to the side, so far I have not seen any issues with the compass.
I asked tonight a friend who also got one at the same time, he flys an Archer, he has 10-12 hours with it and has had the same experience.

As far as I am concerned, this is one of the best devices by an Avionics company, that I have ever seen.

Look at the special issue of Consumer Avionics for their write up.

Rick
Unread 08-04-05, 08:22 PM

compass

I run a Garmin 196 in my 337, and it has a built in GPS. I haven't referrfed to a whiskey compass since I don't know when, but I'm pretty sure it's still up there but it doesn't seem to interfere with my GPS........!
Unread 08-04-05, 08:23 PM

exterior garmin antenna

Exterior/remote garmin GPS antennas are readuly available. It's my understanding that hte new 396 has a single antenna to support the GPS and XM functions.
Unread 08-05-05, 10:26 AM

Mark Hislop is an unknown quantity at this point
Ron:

The remote antenna on the 396 isn't just a GPS/XM antenna. It is the XM reciever as well. According to the Garmin reps at OSH, there is no external unit available.

Mark
Unread 08-06-05, 08:02 AM

Rickskymaster is an unknown quantity at this point

The GPS antenae is the same as was on the 296, it is the small one that swings up on the box.
The XM weather and radio antenae is a combined one, this is new for the 396, it is the one that sits up on the glare shield.
I cannot say enough positive comments about the unit.
The only thing I miss from the Control Vision unit is that it does not have Approach plates.
My guess is that the 496 next year will have those???

Rick
Unread 10-03-05, 10:29 PM

Paul Sharp is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm still waiting on my 396. Apparently they were swamped with orders and some of the smaller dealers don't have them yet. Anyway, I'm looking forward to it.

It sounds like it has a GPS antenna, and then also the "magnet" antenna unit as well? is that right? I was planning on using the second GPS antenna I already had on the plane, but then it seems I'll still have to plug that magnet thing somewhere on the glareshield?
Unread 10-06-05, 01:10 AM

Pat Schmitz is an unknown quantity at this point
Paul -

The USB attached XM antenna is solely for the XM Radio and Weather. It does not receive any GPS position data. You will still need either the suction cup mounted GPS antenna included w/ the 296/396, the built-in GPS antenna, or an external fuselage mounted Garmin antenna. I have used the 296 for over a year with absolutely no problem using only the built in GPS antenna...never even took the external out of the packaging.

My new 396 has been here a week - it is absolutely fabulous... any further praise would simply be repeating everyone else's claims here....It's simply THAT good!

The only drawback so far is the cables are a little cumbersome, and I learned with a little dissapointment that the XM antenna is configured with a unique radio id - which means that you cannot have one for your plane, one for your boat, and one for your car - all using the same XM subscription... Instead - you need to drag your XM antenna between vehicles to take advantage of the weather and XM Radio subscription that is authorized solely for that radio (antenna) ID....

But still a small price to pay for a great product!!!!
LOVE IT!
Unread 10-25-05, 04:42 PM

I received my new 396. Excellent device. Only complaint is that silly XM antenna. I told them that they needed to develop an external one - post haste. It work OK, though, but I haven't been able to see whether or not it will have any magnetic effect or not since I haven't mounted it in the plane yet.

I noted that JA Air makes an excellent panel mount bracket for the 396 - a mere $99 and needs a panel opening of 6.25" x 4.25" and you're off and running. Looks real nice, but I only have 4" of height available so I'll work out something different.

It's quite a box and seems as good as everyone says it is. I've purchased the power/data interface cable so I can interface it to my 430 and have flight plans entered into the 430 go directly into the 396.
Unread 10-25-05, 07:57 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
does the interface cable require avionics shop installation?

Have you seen these mounts:

RAM B-121-GA7 $52.28 has a suction cup option

RAM B-166-GA7 $41.37

http://www.ram-mount.com/products/aviationmounts.htm

or

http://www.versatrue.com/control/sta...e=APP_AIRPLANE

$102.97

or

http://www.aeromedix.com/?_siteid=ae...u&sku=lobmtsuc

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years

Last edited by hharney : 10-25-05 at 08:24 PM.
Unread 10-26-05, 04:13 PM

No, I hadn:t seen those. The Lobstermount seemed especially unique. In my case I have some panel space so I figure I might as well put the 396 in there; it will be right below the 430.

I:m sure anyone with the schematics could wire up the connection between the 430/530 and 396. They give you the diagrams for the cable they sell for the 396, and it could be that the other end (430 in my case) probably is available, too. Since the avionics guy lives right next door to me, I'll probably just let him do it, though.