Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 06-21-05, 06:23 AM

Rickskymaster is an unknown quantity at this point
Anywhere weather

Kimber:
Were you able to get the Anywhere weather system to tinally work right?

Mine has been working terrific, but I know you were working on yours before the meeting ended.

Rick
Unread 06-22-05, 12:45 AM

stackj is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to stackj
WX System

I finally got mine working - mostly. It takes a little time to figure out how ti start up the bluetooth devices.

I had a tough time loading the software to my desktop computer. The instructions stink and it is impossible to get one on one help from controlvision. I only tried phone and just got tired of waiting (on hold).

I was nearly ready to send it back and finally found the problem by querying google. Google finds nearly everything. My problem (with the computer loads) was that the Eastern Database doesn't load. I found out that Controlvision hasn't released one yet. When I selected the Western Database, I finally got the system to load and find a database. Unfortunately the software allowed you to continue loading if you selected eastern and didn't indicate an error until you tried to start the application. I still have not figured out how the get TAFs on the desktop. I'm getting METARs just fine and getting both to the PDA. Oh well...

Anyway, I have been playing with it here at home and have gotten pretty comfortable with operating it. Most of my learning has been by trial and error, but I'm getting there. At this point, I think I would recommend it even with the hassle of getting to know it.
Unread 06-24-05, 02:45 PM

Kimber is an unknown quantity at this point
Not yet.

I'm having more trouble now than when we were down in Key West. It's mostly my fault, though...I haven't had time to sit down with a rep from the company to work out the bugs. One of the things we did (while everyone else was in meetings and on the cruise) was move the memory from the internal memory to the memory stick. Now, my PDA won't sync with my computer, and I'm not adept enough to fix it on my own.

Hopefully, I'll get out early enough in the next week to try to work out the glitches.

Thanks for all your help.

Are you going to Oshkosh?

Kimber
Unread 07-01-05, 06:49 AM

Going to OSH

Yes we are going to OSH.

Right now it looks like we will be leaving on Tuesday and staying thru Friday, departing on Saturday morning.

I will have my sons age 9 and 15 with me.

We usually try and camp near the Hilton.

Give us a call on the cell when you get in.

410-916-0039..

Rick

I have the Control Vison working great now, I hope you have had sometime to get yours up, you will love it.
Unread 07-01-05, 10:56 AM

Hey Rick,

I'm glad to hear that you'll be in Oshkosh. I'm taking my Dad and brother. We'll be there Wednesday afternoon/evening, leaving Sat. morning, also.

After not being able to get anywhere with tech support over the phone, I had a long chat with Tom Reed at Controlvision yesterday. The bottom line is that I'm going to send the units back for a checkup, and then I'll fly down to their plant to go over it in person. He seems to be motivated to get things worked out. Hopefully, it'll be up and running by OSH!

My cell is (816)560-0879.

Kimber
Unread 07-01-05, 09:40 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Are you folks running it on a laptop, PDA, or their Raven?? Or, none of the above. I thought it was pretty much simple to load and go, yet from the comments I'm reading, it is anything but that.
Unread 07-02-05, 06:02 AM

HP 4705

I am running it on a HP 4705.
We put an order in for a Raven, 4-6 month wait, as they are selling them faster than they can make them.
I would suggest the Raven, especially if you want it to run Pocket Plates.

Rick
Unread 07-02-05, 11:37 AM

Talking WHOOOIE!

Rick,

I don't know what happened...it must have been one of the software changes we made on Thursday, but yesterday (Friday) while we were halfway across Kansas on the way to Steamboat Springs I fired up the system and, Voile! It worked.

I was originally going to divert several hundred miles south to do an "end run" on a line of thunderstorms, even though ATC had told me there were some holes, because I couldn't rely on my Stormscope to tell me what was behind the strikes. (I don't like flying into box canyons!)

But, because I now had radar and precip right in front of me, I was able to cut right through the line with nary a bump.

Now I see why you like this system!

I just hope this wasn't a teaser, and when I fly back, it will all have been a dream.

I think I'm still going to fly down to ContolVision, though. Maybe they have some little tricks they use that make it even more useful.

Kimber

Oh BTW Larry, I'm running mine on the IPAQ from ControlVision. I agree with Rick in that the Raven would be more useful with the plates. (I hope Santa is listening!)
Unread 07-02-05, 02:17 PM
Keven

Raven

I agree the size of the Raven is attractive, but for some reason they decided not to use bluetooth with it . . . thus, the hassles of cables. Sighhhh.

Notwithstanding, I do love my Anywhere Wx. Use it all the time without a hitch. However, I'm hoping they get the new 1.7 version revisions ready for folks like me using bluetooth on a 55xx series Ipaq.

It took a long time to work out all the kinks, but once I did,
I'm not sure I'd ever want to fly without it or an equivalent.

Keven
________
Hiwank.com

Last edited by Keven : 04-23-11 at 05:12 PM.