Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 04-30-10, 12:54 PM
N456TL

Dave Underwood is on a distinguished road
Time for my two cents worth.

1) As I recall, there is a slightly longer harness for the EDM760 to accomidate the 337 and the distance to the rear engine. The folks at JPI are good and will answer questions.

2) I installed Gami's a couple of years ago as part of a project to get the aircraft running smoother. They do make a difference and I can see that on my EDM760 on the EGT display as I lean. The engines start and run more smoothly, no question.

3) I also dynamically balanced both engines which also helped smooth things out a bit. Certainly there is much less rock and roll now. I figure vibration will be the biggest enemy as our aircraft age.

4) I tend to climb at the top of the green full rich, which as I'm in a turbo is important. In cruise I fly at 55% or 65%, generally slightly LOP. My experiences lean of peak are that it does save a bit of fuel, but not as much as I was hoping. That said, I have other friends that swear by it, but they are running bigger engines with greater fuel flow savings.

5) I suppose all things being equal, I save about 1 +/- gal/hour/engine and Ernie is right, it does take some management. It also takes some experience to feel comfortable with the process, but the engines do run smoother and cleaner.

6) Fuel around here (in the UK) is $8.00/gal or more which means a payback in less than a year (100 hours +/-). It also increases the safety margins on long legs and if you were in real trouble you could power way back and stay airbourne for many extra hours at very low power settings.

7) In summary, I figure it was worth it.

Regards - Dave