Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-27-19, 09:29 AM

patrolpilot is on a distinguished road
The Little Brother That Pays The Way For The Big Brother

I retired from the airlines when I hit 60, and with 21½ thousand hours was a bit burned out. Our kids and grandkids are scattered to the far reaches of the Country and have never spent much time driving around the US, the last five years of road trips have been enjoyable though a bit time-consuming.

My wife and I live on a ranch on the northern end of the South Texas "brush country," and once a week a Maule comes past the house patroling a gas pipeline. My wife was leaving on a Friday to visit family in Houston for a couple of days. While we were saying good-bye at the car, the patrol plane flew by. I told her, "I would like doing that again." She replied, "I think you should."

On Sunday, my dog ran the 400-yards out to the highway and back for the paper, and as I sat down to read it, I looked at the classified as you never know what farm and ranch stuff might be for sale. What caught my attention was an ad looking for a part-time pipeline patrol pilot in my area. In that it was Sunday, I waited to call the number until 8:00, and when I did, things moved quickly given my experience in the field at the start of my aviation career. A day or two later, when my wife drove up, I said: "guess what?" Of course, she had no clue but was surprised at how things came together so suddenly. That now was eleven months ago and in the back of my mind was that this work would fund a personal airplane for our travel needs.

I fly a C172, inspecting about 1200 wells and their flow lines two mornings a week. I have an airplane dedicated to the task and handle all the arrangements for it as well. Yesterday, I happened to catch both on the ramp at the same time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brothers-A.jpg (35.3 KB, 804 views)
File Type: jpg patrol_081219_A.jpg (48.8 KB, 782 views)
Unread 09-27-19, 06:58 PM

GAdams is on a distinguished road
Smile Brothers

I like your stories. Keep telling them. Perhaps there will be a market for you to write for one of our GA grass root organizations. BTW aren't they Sisters?
Unread 09-28-19, 06:13 AM

Thanks for your kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAdams View Post
BTW aren't they Sisters?
Could be, the same mother though. Or, would that be the same father?
Unread 10-08-19, 04:51 PM

JAG is on a distinguished road
Paint C337

Love the paint scheme on the Skymaster...any more pics?
Jeff
Unread 10-11-19, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Love the paint scheme on the Skymaster...any more pics?
Jeff
Jeff, I have some pictures in this post: http://www.337skymaster.com/messages...3970#post23970
Unread 10-11-19, 09:17 AM

I might be adding a C421 to the next picture!

I decided to do things right and go through some training with a local, very experienced instructor. I wanted a current BFR and IPC completed in the Skymaster. The instructor has no experience in the 337. I can readily demonstrate anything related to the CLT end of things. The instructor has an enormous wealth of experience in complex/pressurized Cessna twins.

It's been five years this month since I took off the SWA uniform, and I have not done any IFR stuff with the C172. I completed the Sporty's IPC online course last weekend, it was a great refresher of me, and the instructor went beyond my expectations. So here I sit, all ready for battle with the elements in my C337.

The instructor was very complimentary and even asked, "when was the last time you flew IFR?" He was shocked by the five-year answer as he said it seemed as if I would have been flying multiple approaches but days ago.

So, back to the topic subject. My flying with the instructor led to a phone call last night. A C4XX operator (multiple 400 series Cessnas) needs a pilot a couple of days a week.
Unread 10-14-19, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrolpilot View Post
So, back to the topic subject. My flying with the instructor led to a phone call last night. A C4XX operator (multiple 400 series Cessnas) needs a pilot a couple of days a week.
Yep, going to C421 school next week.
Unread 11-01-19, 10:52 PM

I thought I would update this. I decided to pass the on the C421 flying opportunity. Kind of last-minute, Sunday before school started.

I just got too many things going on with the patrol I'm doing, my airplane, the ranch, and family. The people understand, gave me all the school books, and said if I reconsider, they would like me to fly their airplanes. I'm reading the various books and will see how things go in the spring.

Last edited by patrolpilot : 11-01-19 at 11:00 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: