Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 09-09-11, 06:23 PM

ipasgas1 is on a distinguished road
buying overseas plane

Ok...I have found a beautiful Rutan Defiant but it is located in the UK. The purchase price is right but I am now trying to figure the logistics to see if it is possible. Ferry estimates have been between 10K-14K which is tolerable. However, insurance appears to be a problem. It is not yet N registered but I am told there is a DAR in the UK who can inspect it and issue an FAA airworthiness so I could N register it before the ferry. I have been told, though, that insurance through US companies would be over $8000 for the 7 day trip!!! I was also told that perhaps I could leave it on the UK registry and insure it through a UK company for the ferry at a much cheaper rate? I love the Defiant as it is CLT and a canard. I also love the O-320 engines. I can't see spending $20K just to get her over here. Any advice or ideas? Is it worth the hassles and expense? Should I just stick to a US production aircraft?
Thanks,
Dan
Unread 09-09-11, 10:40 PM

Learjetter is on a distinguished road
Will the seller work with you on delivery costs? Maybe worth the ferry if the purchase price was adjusted?
Unread 09-11-11, 12:31 AM

Skymaster337B is an unknown quantity at this point
There's a whole bunch of reasons why you shouldn't buy an airplane from an overseas location. In my humble opinion, I would make the sale conditional upon the seller delivering it to the USA and doing all the paperwork to get an N number on it.
Unread 09-19-11, 10:37 AM

SkyKing,
I can see why they were hoping to limit your posts on here. Your replies are neither constructive nor open minded. I am not sure why you are wasting your time complaining about my posting. If you are not interested in it, then move to another post. There is, in fact, an article posted on this site regarding the Defiant which is a CLT aircraft. I am not interested in your attempts to stir things up on here and, as thus, will not respond to anything you post again...but, please know that every other member I have met either in person or on this site have been friendly and open and love to talk about anything aviation related, not just our beloved Skymaster. Stop being an ass and maybe your input will be more appreciated and welcome.
Unread 09-20-11, 12:16 AM

James T Grant is on a distinguished road
Rutan Defiant

Dear Dan,
The Defiant is an excellent member of the CLT breed of Aircraft.
As for getting one home to the US from the UK. The simplest answer would seem to be disassembly and shipping. Complete the import C of A either in the UK or US. Definitely safer for both crew and Aircraft with winter fast approaching the North Atlantic Route.
My father back in the UK would be pleased to assist. He recently retired from fast Jet military flying and would be glad to have a project. Not sure where your possible Aircraft is located but we have access to a great shop in Exeter which could handle all the details.
You can reach me via E-Mail at grantaviation@yahoo.com
Regards,
James
Unread 09-20-11, 09:04 AM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
James
Excellent input and constructive useful information. That's what this message board is all about. What a great offer to help with your father in the UK. Thanks for your post.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 09-20-11, 02:40 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
C of A

The C of A, before it ever leaves, or any registration things happen is INCREDIBLY important. There were a bunch of Allouettes brought into this country and not all of them had the C of A with them. They all got N numbers, things went fine for years, then the FAA grounded all of them, until the C of A could be resolved. Some ended up with standard AW cert, some ended up with Experimental Exhibition cert. In today's FAA, they'd ground you, and never look back.

BTW, there are some aircraft coming for auction, they are CLT, and a bit faster than a Defiant.
They climb pretty good, too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CDLb...eature=related

The Auction
http://www.go-dove.com/event-15794/T...-Military-Jets

No FOD on the rear prop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsYxF...eature=related

They get off the ground in 1630 feet, so naturally I was interested.
Unread 09-20-11, 03:03 PM

Well, sadly, I'm finding nobody wants to finance a Rutan Defiant...if it were a Vans or Lancair experimental, easy, but not a Defiant. I'm bummed. Just too apprehensive to invest in a 337 again, mainly due to the possibility that I would never be able to sell her again if I wanted/needed. It amazes me that such a great plane has come to cause such trepidation...Thanks to most who posted constructive responses.
Dan