Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 11-13-11, 03:35 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
LAMP Skymaster Crash

N337LC crashed Friday in Alamosa, Colorado. This was a 1976 G model that had been extensively restored for the missionary's use. The pilot was fatally injured.

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/search?q=skymaster

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 11-13-11, 06:23 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
So Sad

This is so sad. No obvious causes.
I'm sure not hot-dogging, either.
Unread 11-13-11, 09:52 PM
Forum Administrator

By looks of the photos it came down hard. I hope there are no wing issues. One report called it a single engine airplane. Really a shame to hear of this tragedy.

Unread 11-14-11, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
I made a call to the airport and have obtained additional information.

The man I spoke to and his wife were there and spoke and saw the pilot before taxiing. They heard engine run-up and witnessed the take-off and initial climb. Aside from a rocking of the wings and the perception that perhaps it was going a bit slow (emphasis on "perhaps", maybe inaccurate), all seemed well. Engine sound was OK. The pilot turned east on his crosswind turn and radioed an aircraft about to take-off that he was leaving the pattern to the north. No additional transmissions were heard, and the impact -- almost straight down followed by a fire that consumed most of the aircraft -- was 1/4 mile east of the runway. The person, who heard the impact but was too far to see it, believes he heard the engines increasing power just before impact.

Although the airport altitude is 7500 ft, it was a chilly day, so performance should have been OK. Also, the pilot was from Salidas (his destination), which has a similar altitude, so he was familiar with high-altitude take-off.

The aircraft had a full rebuild about a year earlier but had flown a number of times since then. It was at KALS for an annual inspection, which had been completed about two weeks earlier, and this was its maiden flight since the annual.

The pilot had a massive auto accident about two weeks earlier when he fell sleep and totaled his car. He and his wife were planning on buying a new car in the days ahead. While the pilot looked OK before take-off, the absence of any distress call led the witness and me to speculate about the possibility of a stroke, perhaps from a latent brain injury from the earlier crash.

There were no remains to perform an autopsy. Although the FAA has not determined cause, the impression left with the mechanic who performed the annual and others at the airport is that the FAA people view it as pilot error (Ernie's comment: possibly due to incapacitation?).

Ernie

Last edited by Ernie Martin : 11-14-11 at 01:41 PM.
Unread 11-17-11, 07:50 AM

ipasgas1 is on a distinguished road
Has anyone heard anymore on the crash? I read that there were witnesses to the accident and that it happened not long after take off on the maiden flight post annual. Would like to hear that it had nothing to do with the wing...Looked like a beautiful example of a Skymaster. Sounded like a good man using a good plane for a good cause...very tragic and sad.
Unread 12-28-11, 04:05 PM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
Does anyone have an explanation as to why a preliminary report has not been published on this event? I have been watching the NTSB website and as far as I can tell, no report has been published. Any ideas or am I missing something?

Thanks

Ed
Unread 12-28-11, 05:29 PM
Forum Administrator

Ed
Depending on the circumstances of the investigation there may or may not be a prelim report. I have experienced this in the past.

Unread 12-28-11, 09:36 PM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
Thanks Herb. Any idea what determines if a preliminary report gets written?