Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 07-31-02, 08:46 AM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
Mackinac Island

Keven, Don, Larry and Rick (or anyone else)

We planned Mackinac Island meet for the 17th of August. Larry and the guys have an airshow that weekend and Keven seems he has other commitments.

We need to book hotels. I was recommending to fly into Mackinac City on Friday night then head over to the island in the morning (abt 10 miles).

I need to coordinate hotel accomodations, etc. This place gets busy in the summer.

How many are interested in the 10th vrs the 17th. If we do not get a response in the next couple of days we are going to head up on the 17th regardless.

how many heads and who?

for the 17th ?
for the 10th ?

either email me personally or give me a call on the phone. I know I am going to do a lot of phoning to find a spot to stay. There are some reasonable accomodations on the mainland and hopefully at the 3 star hotels downtown. The grand is a grand price.

regards

Bob

BTW Keven, it is 4 hrs flying for you from greensboro.
Unread 07-31-02, 09:47 AM

You guys have fun. Mac is one of our favorite places... have done the Chicago-Mac sailboat race a number of times.

I brought all the stuff for you I had promised and I looked for you at OSH and came up empty. Kevin did come by the GAMI booth and we had a nice chat. I gave him the MP/RPM/ROP chart we had talked about.

Sorry we missed each other.

Walter Atkinson
Advanced Pilot Seminars
<www.advancedpilot.com>
Unread 07-31-02, 01:11 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
I think he means Keven, not Kevin. Or maybe it was Kevin McDole. We were all there. Sorry I missed you Walter. I came by the booth, but it was mobbed, planned to come back, but never made it.

Kevin (webmaster, not lawyer)
Unread 07-31-02, 01:32 PM
N69S

Walter

Sorry I missed you. I spent lots of time at TCM and the FADAC engineers. Rather interesting.

Would appreciate you sending any material available by email or via post.

Decided to leave early due to wx and I hate sleeping in a wet tent...

bob
Unread 07-31-02, 02:24 PM

Bob:

Shucks. Sorry I missed you.

<<I spent lots of time at TCM and the FADAC engineers. Rather interesting. >>

Interesting, yes... but, sadly, not workable. I am VERY familiar with FADEC and in it's current configuration I will stand by the statement that it is completely unworkable... especially in the real world. 26 sensors and if any ONE of them fails, the system does not work. I have seen both the pilot's manual and the maintenance manual. The maint. manual FILLS a 5" ring binder and the Pilot's manual is so large and complex as to be esentially worthless.

So far, I am unaware that anyone has gotten a FADEC unit off the ground without CHTs being 45OdF or more. On the IO-550, the FF at 75% power is OVER 19gph and the unit forces LOP operation and ROP operation depending on rpm. The pilot can NOT affect this. There is no mixture knob.

Sad. It could cost TCM their existance, which would be bad for all of us.

OTOH, the PRISM system, which should be flying on experiementals by the end of this year and on Certificated aircraft in 12-18 months is really working--even on 91 octane fuel--without detonation. It really works and it is currently being tested on the toughest engine in the fleet where detonation is concerned, the Lycoming IO-540J2BD of the Navajo. It seemlessly controls the detonation and really works. HP is up both on takeoff and in cruise with PRISM. You can check it out at <www.GAMI.com>

Walter
Unread 07-31-02, 06:16 PM
George M. Amthor, Jr.

GMAs is on a distinguished road
Too bad you guys missed the RAM group

I got word that the people over at Riley are showing off their new stuff at the show.. didn't see any word from you guys about going by and looking...

ANN covered the new products that they are coming out with.. and like me... GAS is dead... the EPA and the rest of the world is getting on with other fuels... you need to go back to their web page and look up the new fuel engine... they have one runing on a 182 and its great... half the fuel useage... and better performance.... it was quite a article that they passed along... to me... but, when I questioned about the club being put in the news...... nada ... (I'll explane why later) so it looks like we may ask Riley to hold a special meeting out here on the coast and show off their new products... they claim that they will have a new 300 hp 4 cyc deisel engine in ... just maybe the new skymaster... wow... and the specs look great...

Sorry the old gas stuff is dated... as in other countries gas is also on its way out... Jet A and deisel is the new way.... more energy no lead... cheeper fuel.. that doesn't go bad as quick... and simpler metering... thats dependiable... on half the parts... (no ignition). Its the only way to go... that meets the new regulations from your friendly enviromental group.... lends itself well to turbo... and longer engine life too... about 3000 hrs.... now all they have to do is keep the props on the thing... as it cruses at 1800-2200 RPM but, they claim its smooth at that speed... while it can run up to 3200 RPm... one problem that I can see is the control... we will have to learn how to fly all over again... as their will not be a manafold pressure... kinda thing... more fuel flow/control...
Unread 07-31-02, 06:38 PM

<Gas is dead>

Time will tell. If you are correct, the fleet will be grounded and general aviation will be finished.

My bet is that there will be a new fuel with no lead--95UL-- which will work on most all the fleet just they way it is with about 30% of the aircraft needing the new PRISM electronic ignition to continue to be flown. BTW, in the event you are unaware, 95UL is the SAME as 100LL without the lead. It can be easily manufactured with no changes other than leaving out the lead. 70% of the engines in use today can use 95UL now without any alteration.

As I said, time will tell which of us is closer to the correct call.

Remember, you heard it here!

Walter
Unread 07-31-02, 06:49 PM
N69S

re new engines

Re Diesel

MaryAnne (Ms. Riley) announced at the show on Friday they may have a new diesel conversion (new engines) for a mere 200,000 dollars. *** 200,000.00***** USD!

AH! Now that makes sense. You buy a 50 k dollar aircraft and invest 200k in new engines since they are not available for the P versions and you increase your tbo by a few hundred hours?

If they work anything like the airconditioning system I will wait awhile. They need to perfect it first!

I am sure some form(S) of fadac will solve the problem along with different fuels. By that time I will be flying a wheel chair.

I honestly believe, based on the show, there is a small 2-300 turbo prop engine around that will be a competative alternative.

In the meantime we just jockey the levers and put up with 1920 technology..

Bob
Unread 07-31-02, 08:02 PM

Rickskymaster is an unknown quantity at this point
We are in for the 17th

We are in for the 17th, and there are 5 of us coming.

Rick
Unread 08-01-02, 07:43 AM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
17TH

The 17th is the only practical date for us as well. We're doing the airshow in the AM, lunch time, and out of there about 2-3 PM, up to MCD, which about checkin time for the hotels.
Unread 08-01-02, 11:26 AM
Keven

The Kenisons are Out

Sorry folks, Allie Cat and I are not going to be able to swing Mackinac this year due to schedule probs. Hope you all have a great time. We're jealous.

Let's try to get something else scheduled!

Keven
________
Lincoln Town Car

Last edited by Keven : 04-23-11 at 04:49 PM.
Unread 08-01-02, 11:59 AM

Bob:

<<In the meantime we just jockey the levers and put up with 1920 technology..>>

Tain't it the truth! <g> As an interesting aside, these TCM and Lycoming engines with all their supposed *outdated* technology are still pretty darned good engines. They are operating with a Brake Specific Fuel Conmsumption of around .38 and that's pretty dog-gone good. Todays cars can't match that.

It really is amazing how good they are. It is us pilots who are the weak link in engine management. We're trying hard to fix that.

Walter Atkinson
<www.advancedpilot.com>
Unread 08-01-02, 04:38 PM

Guy Paris is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Mackinac Island

Ok Guys where is Mackinac Island???? Guy Paris from New Hampshire, U. S. of A.
Unread 08-01-02, 05:44 PM
N69S

where is Mackinac?

Guy

It is 591 miles 308 magnetic from KMHT.
Mackinaw is KMCD and is located in the straight between lake michigan and lake Huron. They allow aircraft but no cars. www.mackinacisland.com.

WALTER

Owned a 41C&C called Tethani (named after daughter of sitting bull) and it won the Port Huron to Mackinaw race in '82 or 83 if I remember correctly. Sailed it to the Carribean and back in 85-86.

Mackinac Bookings for hotel

I am trying to find accomodations for Mackinaw. Larry, are you staying over one night? and others? I will book Friday night for us at Mackinaw City which is on the upper penninsula. Getting in around 9:30-10 PM.

Please give me your preferences by just emailing me.

Bob

Last edited by Bob Cook : 08-01-02 at 05:49 PM.
Unread 08-02-02, 09:42 AM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
DINNER

We will probably just come up for dinner.

I suggest the Hotel Iroquois for dinner, since it is right on the water, but not by the ferry, has excellent food, good wine list, reasonable prices, good service.

There are other places, but they tend to be more touristy, or a bit out of the way.

Guy, and others, the approach is over water, at some altitude, since the airport sits on a bluff, on top of the island. Very cool. No over flying the town during approach or departure. Also, they disapprove of low approaches,

There is another website, aren't there always, www.mackinac.com

Bob, are you in Canada, or TC?