Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 01-21-10, 09:04 PM

djarrett is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

flyer22
That is a great Idea for you to go to sun and fun your see all kinds get lots of ideas.
I fly p337 back and forth across the country at least once or twice a year and into the bahamas and the other islands. I fly at 16k one way and 17k the other and it works great. only diferance would be if the winds are crazy and Then I go down and get below the teens. I fly out of Montana and the p337 is the ticket to get out of the mountains and go down the the road. The p337 is also great for low alt and sight seeing. There is no problem of getting down, is just and matter of droping the gear and one notch of flaps great speed breaks. See you at sun and fun N268 Yvonne and DAve
Unread 01-22-10, 05:33 PM

aldoradave is on a distinguished road
I have had my 73 P337 for just a year but really like the plane. MOst of my flying is out west and VFR through the mountains, but spending a lot of time where traffic might be a problem.

I just hate to reply to ATC with "no joy" and that is one of the important benefits of my P model. Normally I climb quickly to 13.500 or 14,500 and my cabin pressure doesn't get much over 9,000 ft. At those altitudes you just don't find a lot of traffic as the turbine boys are way above and the NA ones are well below.

Having the 5th seat works out OK for me as I have three small kids. However I have ordered the cargo pod from RT Aerospace for a more comfortable cabin.

Dave Dillehay
N84E
Unread 01-25-10, 03:30 PM

Flyer22 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the great replies.

I think a trip to SnF would be a must before I buy, although I probably will not get out there this year.

My typical mission is Denver to Atlanta, just about 1000nm on the dot, and I would like to make it eastbound non-stop. That means high altitudes for both fuel efficiency and tailwinds, as well as LOP operation. Other missions include the Bahamas and some westbound travel from Denver, as well as "flightseeing".

As Denver residents we are acclimatized to 5000ft, and frequently drive/hike/bike/ski above 10,000 ft with no ill effects, which is not the case for people who reside at sea level. Therefore, we are a little more capable of hanging out at high altitudes, be that 12k w/o pressurization, or 20k w/ cabin pressurized to 10k as would be the case with a P337.

I guess I am just trying to figure out the maintenance and insurance hits. So far, from your inputs, they don't seem to be showstoppers.
Unread 01-25-10, 10:08 PM

djarrett is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

good luck on 1000 mile legs I have140 gal plus and I plan on 190Knts . I thinks if you have a little wind or or if you use less than 30 gal per hr. you won't get the speed. you figure it out. If you can plan on 1000 per leg you will land short. I plan on three to three and one half hour flight are just fine with me and then I have lots of fuel to if things go sideways.
Unread 02-03-10, 11:10 AM

Shalimar is on a distinguished road
To "P" or not to "P", that is the question

Very interesting thread, to all that's been said; as the owner of P337H, N64N I would add the following: It's an ideal aircraft for the mission that you describe but I do agree that thousand mile legs will put you at the limit of range. Certainly beyond my comfort level, but that's an age thing as someone commented.
Except for anything requiring penetrating the pressure hull, the pressurization adds little in terms of maintenance. The systems are small and I have found them to be very reliable. If you need to penetrate the hull, that's a whole new challenge, both to reseal if you are going through an existing opening or to go through the DER process if you are adding something like an antenna.
That said, I have found maintenance on the P's to be substantially more complicated than on a normally aspirated 337. I am an A&P/IA and do my own work and the engine compartments are crowded, almost nothing can be accomplished without removing other components and systems which, of course need to be reinstalled, but wait, while its out let's inspect and repair. A friend once remarked that the P337 has all the systems of a King Air without the room to work. It helps to be a watchmaker with the arms of a Chimpanzee to get in there and do stuff.
The pressurization system makes the aircraft very warm, hot in fact. You are sealed in this capsule and the compressed air from the pressurization is hot until you get to altitude. May not be a big problem in Denver, but it is in Phoenix where I fly. Once you are at altitude, it can get cold so a properly working heater is a must. The Janitrol heaters are another system that requires maintenance and is subject to an AD. No big deal but just one more system that requires maintenance and takes up front engine compartment space.
Insurance is a giant pain in the butt. Insurance companies must think that this is some kind of mini-airliner because they insist on recurrent training and the premiums are very costly, much more so than a non-"P". There is another thread that talks about this.
All that said, the P Skymaster is a fantastic aircraft. Great performance in a small package, relatively economical to own and fly. My recommendation is to find an A&P/IA who knows the plane to do a thorough pre-buy and to do your maintenance. Also consider attending a CPA 337 systems and procedures course, very valuable.
Best to you