Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 05-13-02, 10:00 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
Question Oil filter same on front and rear?

From private email to GMAs:

Are the oil filters on the front and rear engines of a '73 P337 (both CB engines) the same part? I have to change my oil this week. Until recently, I would just go to my mechanic's shop and ask him for a couple of filters, and he gave them to me. But now he has retired (I have another A&P supervising me), and I have to get my filters elsewhere. I can read the part number on the front filter without taking it off (CH48108), but I can't read the rear because it is facing straight down, and I didn't have a mirror with me.

Kevin
Unread 05-13-02, 10:03 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
No... the filters are the same for the front and rear engine... the champion 48108 is Ok to use.... if you look in the champ book... or on of the filter charts... you will see that it makes no difference the engines are the same...you have to be careful that you lube the rubber gasket with either engine oil or silicone... and don't over tighten the filter... use the directions on the can... and then check for leaks... remember that you can always tighten it up more.... if you get it on too tight... its a bear to get off... as they will glue themselves to the pad... and you almost have to destroy them to get them off the threaded part... smile...

Also look at the treaded part... and make sure their are no little metal hair's on the threads... from the manufacturing process... during manufacture sometimes they do that.. and the center is where the oil is going back to the engine... any contaminants will go into the engine and might do some real damage...

Hint: When you go to put the new one on..... put the safety wire on first...and twist it up about 4 to 5 inches... makes finding the hole at the base of the filter stand... easier.... then just bend the safety wire out of the way... put the filter on... and tighten... then finish safetying... and make sure you bend the end back around on its self...

You might want to post that reply on the web.... as I can't reply to it... and post it too... others might want to read it for their info also...

GMAs....