Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-14-03, 06:37 PM

Kimber is an unknown quantity at this point
Auxiliary fuel wingtips

Does anyone have any experience with Owen Bells aux fuel tanks? (Are there any other?) My bird is now completely stripped down to the metal, undergoing a paint job and annual, and I thought that if I were ever going to do it, now would be the time.

Thanks.
Unread 12-14-03, 11:08 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
I don't have any experience with either, but there are also Flint tip tanks available for the 337. One of the board members has these, but I cannot remember which at the moment. Hopefully he will speak up and give you a report.

Only downside that I am aware of is that it will make your bird too big for a standard 40' T hangar...

Kevin
Unread 12-15-03, 09:52 PM

skymaster is an unknown quantity at this point
tips/fuel

xtra fuel is the difference. If you have a long leg trip it will pay. We use ours and i do not know how we did without. Highly recommend.
Unread 12-15-03, 11:28 PM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
long range fuel

Kimber

You did not indicate what fuel tanks you currently have. ...

148 gallons? / post '74 ?

I find current fuel is sufficient for 98% of my missions. More fuel / less payload. I believe Owen's tanks can give you increased load, however, you end up with a fuel jettison system.

I saw Owen's mod on an AC in Boston and thought the aircraft resembled a U2........... G

hope this helps

Bob
Unread 12-16-03, 01:40 PM

Kimber is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

Thanks to all for your responses.
Mine is a '74 model...prior to the increase in fuel capacity.
I didn't even think about the hangar limitation...that is a real problem in my area since hangar space is hard to come by.
I agree with you Bob that the fuel is usually sufficient, but for those trips to visit my parents in Colorado with the evil headwinds from the west, it would be nice to be able to make it non-stop.
Unread 12-16-03, 04:49 PM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
re fuel

Kimber

Aux fuel does make sense since you are running a bit short for typical "P" missions assuming your capacity is 120 gallons. I make use of the 148 gallon capacity on a regular basis. I would feel severly limited with less.......

Bob
Unread 12-19-03, 06:39 AM

MikeZ is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 79 P, with 148 standard. Last year we added Flint tip tanks and 38 gallons additional. I now make it non-stop from upstate NY to south florida. If the winds are so bad that I can't make it non-stop, I will generally wait a day. I make this trip often and the extra fuel stop added time, flight planning and weather avoidance, and workload. Much more enjoyable now, but I need two bottles.

When the tanks are empty the plane has distinctly greater lift, practically jumps off the runway. This makes sense in that the same power is pushing more wing area. This should make the stall speed lower, which is a great by-product, for a plane that already lands short when necessary.

When the tanks are full I can't take more than one passenger by and large, but that is my mission profile.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: