Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-30-05, 09:22 PM

Rickskymaster is an unknown quantity at this point
Slipping left and right

A couple of airline/very good GA pilots have let it be known that they do not think it is a safe/wise practice to slip a skymaster to the left and then immediately slip it back to the right. They do think that it is ok to slip one, but not to throw it back and forth.
I have used this procedure on occasion to get down quickly and/or reduce my airspeed, exclusively on final.
I am hearing that they both think/feel that this procedure puts to much stress on the rear booms.
I throw it to the vast experience of the group to share your thoughts.

Rick
Unread 05-30-05, 09:50 PM
Jim Rainer

Jim Rainer is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm no expert, but I think it's harmless as long as one is using smooth motions. The airspeed I use for slips is in the 80 knot range and this is way below maneuvering speed. I worry that I might unport a fuel tank in a prolonged slip.
Unread 05-31-05, 01:56 AM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
Procedure....

Why not follow the protocols in the POH for the letdown, approach and landing? .. And then you won't need to slip! Compensating for a crosswind, of course, is a whole different bag. Thank Cessna (or your lucky stars as the case may be) that they put a nice baffle in the inboard tank with a flapper...

SkyKing
Unread 05-31-05, 06:24 AM

Rickskymaster is an unknown quantity at this point
Following

I agree it best to follow the protocol in the POH, but what happens if you cannot.
I cannot find any prohibation on slips, nor can I find any mention.
I would think that the O2 drivers in country, must have found themselves in stiuations where they need to slip, and could not follow the recommended procedure.
I can think of situations, where slipping quickly reduces the airspeed, and allows me to get into an airspeed range, that would allow for lowering progressively more flaps.
The big question I really want to know, will it hurt the booms.
Is there to much stress on them for this to be anything more that an occasional method of slowing down etc.

Thoughts, pro and con appreciated.

Rick
Unread 06-04-05, 10:11 AM

J.T.Grant is an unknown quantity at this point
Dear Sirs,
I am sure that the pilots of the airbus that crashed after takeoff in the New York area thought that as long as they were below manoevering speed they could do no damage with rapid left and right full rudder applications.They and all their passengers are dead!
No certification of an aircraft (FAR 23 or 25) has ever required testing about the yaw axis with regards to Va. Va is only tested as relates to full deflection of the elevator and aileron surfaces.
The rudders on our Skymasters can exert tremendous forces on the boom/wing interface. Just look at the skin thickness and fastner size at the the wing/boom joint.
We would all be wise to remember that even the youngest Skymaster is now over 20 years old, mine will be 42 this December. As these aircraft age perhaps pushing the edges of the envelope is not the best idea.
Regards
James T Grant
Unread 06-23-05, 04:19 PM

Paul Sharp is an unknown quantity at this point
I slip mine quite regularly as ATC often leaves me high and asks for a slam-dunk. But I never try to go from one side to the other. Don't know why I would do that - a slip is a slip, and going from one side to the other would be less efficient that keeping it in a solid slip until I'm ready to straighten back out. I would be cautious about any slip with low fuel in the mains, or when using the aux tanks (which aren't supposed to be used for landing anyway).
Unread 06-24-05, 05:16 PM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
Talking AA 587

Much to the chargrin of those who get their 'news' from the mainstream establishment, the American Airlines A300 aircraft, Flight 587, that crashed off Belle Harbor in New York on 12 November 2001 was NOT caused by excessive rudder inputs, or "turbulence" from the 747 ahead of #587. The initiating event was an explosion within the aircraft, which took out the right engine and wing, thus causing assymetrical overloading of the rear empennage. I know... I know... "That's not what the NTSB report says!" Did you expect the truth? The initial eyewitness evidence reported an orange fireball/explosion... and one of the eyewitnesses was either a police officer as I recall. Just like in 911, there were NO "Arab" hijackers; the initial WTC strike was not by a passenger jet; and the WTC towers were not brought down by the low-temp JET-A fires or other combustibles. If you doubt what I'm saying, pay a visit to www.reopen911.org for a wealth of info not seen in the mainstream.

Irrespective of the AA 587 incident, Grant is correct regarding destructive testing to Va. And too, playing excessively with the 337 in the lower-near-stall speed regime could land you on your back. Careful out there....

SkyKing
Unread 06-24-05, 09:55 PM

big al 08 is an unknown quantity at this point
skyking face

you're the man, need to fill in my screen saver so post a photo, getting boared with the mi flyin! me and hillary in 08.
Unread 06-26-05, 09:17 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
LETS JUST KEEP IT A MYSTERY AND KEEP LOOKING AT THAT BEAUTIFUL MICHIGAN COUNTRY SIDE

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 06-27-05, 07:17 PM

okie dokie; however have a candid shot of the "soap" board member at the local watering hole. also skyking has requested lossing canidate lapel button from 11/05/04.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg soap board members.jpg (800.4 KB, 1043 views)
Unread 06-27-05, 09:48 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Beautiful, Big Al. Just a very cool place.
Unread 06-27-05, 10:21 PM

i still have the "p" as my screen saver,l is it at 1500'? where is it at, see a water bubble in the background? why cowls open. nice to see green. climbing? anyway it is sweet, thanks for posting.
Unread 06-27-05, 10:24 PM

i still have the "p" as my screen saver, is it at 1500'? where is it at, see a water bubble in the background? why cowls open, climbing? nice to see green. anyway it is sweet, thanks for posting.did you send skyking his lapel button? (ha ha)
Unread 06-27-05, 10:35 PM
Web Master

We were running at about 2000', or 1200 AGL.
There are lots of little lakes around, I'm not certain which one that was.
I wondered why his cowl flaps were open, don't know the answer
It's a beautiful picture. Herb took it, of Kevin Brennen's plane.
Unread 06-28-05, 03:29 PM
Web Master

Speaking of water, why don't you invite us to have the next gathering at your place. How long is your runway??
Mine is 2500' grass.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: