Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 02-26-03, 12:55 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
Impossible Mission: Inverter Power Transformer needed

Hi Folks,

I have an old Bendix inverter in my '73 P337 that drives my RMI and also the heading synchro for my Stormscope. I am looking for the power transformer used in this inverter. I do not have schematics for the inverter, so I don't know the characteristics of the transformer. Any help anyone can provide in finding either a transformer, or a place that has parts and will repair or exchange the inverter would be much appreciated. If I can't economically repair this unit, I will have to replace it with a low power (peanut) inverter, and dump the RMI in favor of a stock ADF indicator for my KR-85 ADF. This would not be a tragedy, but I find that out west here, and in Canada, I still need my ADF frequently enough to make spending some small amount of money worthwhile.

The unit is a Bendix PS-815A, part number 4000289-8503. I believe I need an inverter rated at 15 amp or more to replace it, because the KI-226 RMI rated draw is 13 amps.

The power transformer part number is 17325-1. I don't know if that is a Bendix part number, or another manufacturer. There is no other nomenclature on the part.

Thanks for your help.

Kevin
Unread 02-26-03, 06:36 PM

Frank Benvin is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Kevin

Gary Wedding in Eloy Arizona has a warehouse full of stuff. I just talked to Dad in Mesa and gave him all the info. He is going to see what he find for you. I will get you a telephone number for Gary also

Frank
Unread 02-26-03, 06:46 PM

Super Frank! Thanks... -Kevin
Unread 02-27-03, 02:00 AM

bawb is an unknown quantity at this point
Kevin,

Don't take the RMI off life support yet. I love mine. Two weeks ago I went into Nanimo, BC. Lowest approach available is an NDB-DME. NDB alone gets you to 900, with DME you can go to 720. The DME stands alone, not associated with a localizer. There is no GPS overlay. Coming and going, it is a busy couple of minutes and the RMI makes it dirt simple. Mine's a KR 87 with a KI 229 head.

Bawb
Unread 02-27-03, 10:40 AM

Do I like my RMI? Absolutely. But it is a KI-226 (old). It draws a lot of current, and has become "sticky" lately. It may be the thing that burnt up the inverter. If I can repair the inverter, I'll have the 226 bench tested and if it passes, I'll put it all back in. If I can't repair the inverter, well, I am not sure I like my RMI well enough to spend nearly a grand on an inverter that will support it, versus $350 for an inverter that will support only my stormscope heading slave. If the 226 is truly sick, it would be another $500 to replace it with similar used unit (I don't like to think about what a new one would cost). In the end, with a small inverter for $350 and a stock KR85 head (manual card) for $100 or so, I can still do your ADF-DME approach, it will just be more work. I'd rather put the extra money away for future maintenance, or towards an approach approved GPS.

Anyway, I am hoping that a miracle happens, and somebody can suggest where I can get parts for my Bendix inverter...

Kevin
Unread 03-13-03, 06:32 PM

Frank Benvin is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Kevin

Gary Wedding 's telephone # 520 466-4181

I looked up Eloy area code is 520 not 928

Frank

Last edited by Frank Benvin : 03-13-03 at 08:24 PM.
Unread 03-13-03, 07:16 PM

Thanks Frank, but that does not seem to be a working number. Area code is for Arizona, but there is no 466 prefix in 928 area code... Maybe somebody transposed a number along the line?

Thanks for trying to help.

Kevin
Unread 03-13-03, 09:06 PM
A&P/IA

FRED-E is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Area Codes

If you are looking for an area code look here: http://www.cs.ucsd.edu/users/bsy/area.html

Fred N358