Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 03-23-05, 06:43 PM

schampion is an unknown quantity at this point
I am looking into for my company to buying a Riley super skyrocket.

1. Has anyone been insured in this aircraft?

2. How much

3. How much time did the pilot have?

4. We are looking at either a New mooney or the Riley any thoughts?

Thanks,

SC
Unread 03-23-05, 08:41 PM
TAS (Thin Air Seeker)

Jerry De Santis is on a distinguished road
iNSURANCE

Under the search function, type in INSURANCE, there is a load of info regarding cost experience etc.

You are on a Skymaster web page and you ask the question...what we think about a Skymaster riley vs a Mooney. What do you think the answer will be. Yap!!! your right..The Skymaster.

Cheers
Jerry
N34EC (Riley)
Unread 03-24-05, 09:44 AM

Kevin B is an unknown quantity at this point
Funny thing Jerry I concur.............
Unread 03-24-05, 07:27 PM

Ok. There are no other posts to these questions.

1. How much can I expect to pay for a riley super skyrocket for insurance?

2. Can a pilot with 400hrs with No multi get insured?

Thanks

Sc
Unread 03-24-05, 08:05 PM

LeeChris is an unknown quantity at this point
This is in reply to the note from sc.

You should get your muti rating before insuring the twin.
2-3 days of training will suffice. Then you will have to attend Skymaster school. Then you can get insur. The issue of Rocket v. other Skymaster is irrelevent except as far as it affects hull value. See my earlier post as to insurance costs.

As to Mooney v. Skymaster, I am in a good spot to respond because I own a 231/262 Mooney and a P337. I love the Mooney in most every way. It is almost as fast as the Skymaster, it is much cheeper to fly and keep, the weeping wing de-icer is far superior to the boots, hot prop, etc.. and the Skymaster is limited to 20,000 ft when the converted Mooney is cert to 27,000 feet, but you have to strap on a mask over about 18.
However, I fly over mountains at night and in clag. The Skymaster is wonderful as a safe twin. The pressurization is also nice. The Skymaster is easier to fly and heavier with a slower wing therefore more stable in turbulance. I also am learning to love the Skymaster. The Skymaster is staying and the Mooney is for sale. Enough Said.
Unread 03-25-05, 10:16 AM

Thanks.

Personally I have my Comm SMEL Instrument and CFI, II
An idea that my bosses came up with is that I would get my MEI in the riley, get certified to teach in it, and then give them their multi training in it. What do you think? Currently they own a new SR22 which is really cool however no deice no flight above 17k.
Do you know if you can get the "TKS' system for the P337?
btw im in Colorado.
Unread 03-29-05, 02:26 PM

When I was shopping for the Skymaster I spent some time checking out whether the weeping wing was possible for a Skymaster even on an experimental basis. Simply put, it is not. You are stuck w/ boots, hot plate, etc.
As far as your practical situation re: the Skymaster and insur etc, I got my twin rating in a conventional twin so I am legal in such. If you get your twin rating in the Skymaster, you are limited to the centerline thrust. Frankly that is not a big deal for me, I don't care to fly a conventional twin, however both the twin rating and an approved Skymaster school were required before the insurer would cover me. Also finding an approved instructor for the Skymaster in my area was a problem. All in all I am satisfied w/ my choices. Make sure you find a Skymaster w/o too much deferred mantenance. I bought one from a former member of this site w/ low time engines and supposedly a clean machine. I have spent 60k+ since I bought the bird. Much of that was planned upgrades but at least 20k was unplanned fixes for deferred maintenance.
Unread 03-29-05, 04:43 PM

Thanks for the reply.
I would like to get your thoughts on e one aspect of this venture.

1. I am a CFI,II with Commercial SMEL Instrument Licenses. What we are considering is that I would get my MEI and would then get certified to teach in the Riley and then provide the necessary instruction for both of my bosses. What do you think?

2. Would it be better to have them go through the training from some one else? The reason why I ask this is that they are probably going to have to have me fly with them for aprox 50 - 100 hours as per insurance requirements and if we could start them training ASAP then this would greatly reduce the time that they would need. This would speed up the training process and they could train at their own pace. I don’t really care either way as long as they are going to be safe pilots.

3. I now that this is a vague question b/c you don’t know my level of training ability. However, say that its the same as the 337 school after I am done there getting certified to teach in it
Unread 03-29-05, 05:29 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
I think you should be discussing these questions with your insurance agent, they are really insurance questions. Scott Smith, 800-743-1439, is very familiar with 337 insurance, if you need a good agent.

If you can make the insurance work, I think you can make the rest of your plan work. But remember it will take some hours to get an MEII starting from SEL CFII. You will need to be an instrument multi instructor to give the proper training to the owners for them to get a MEL Instrument.

Kevin
Unread 03-29-05, 05:33 PM

I am not sure of legal requirements and insurance requirements for your situation. I am also unfamiliar w/ the abbreviation, SMEL. However, as to the practical issue of yourself getting certified and then teaching your bosses my input would be "no sweat". I think the Skymaster is both easy and a pleasure to fly. It is much easier to fly than the Mooney. I can spend an hour fine tuning the engines/ props as I fly, but it is not necessary. As one is learing one can certainly err on the side of running rich and no harm is done. If you can get insurance, and I am sure you can, than I think your plan for your bosses is great.
Unread 03-29-05, 06:32 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks,
I'll let them know that it is a real possiblity.

I'm sure that you will see lots more posts from me as time goes on if this is the way that they decide to go

FYI SMEL = Single and Multi engine Land.

Thanks again.
Unread 04-22-05, 10:48 AM

ipasgas1 is on a distinguished road
Does anyone know if a 336 would be looked upon more favorably by insurance underwriters due to the fixed gear and lower cost, especially for a new twin driver? Is the 336 well thought of compared to the 337? Don't see many 336's available, though.
Unread 04-22-05, 11:55 AM

kevin is on a distinguished road
You would get better rates both due to fixed gear and lower hull value.

The 336 owners I have talked to a very happy with them. They knewt they were getting a slower airplane with fixed gear when they bought them. There is a rear engine cooling problem with 336s (but not 337s), but you can easily solve it by running with the rear engine cowl flap open all the time. Other than that, I have heard no gripes.

There are a couple of 336 owners that frequent the site, perhaps they can comment.

Kevin
Unread 04-22-05, 02:44 PM
Jim Rainer

Jim Rainer is an unknown quantity at this point
336 Insurance

Somewhere in this website or the old one, there is mention of a 337 that was STC'd to be a fixed gear plane. You'd think it would be easy to weld the gears down and remove all the junk and have a fixed gear plane. Apparently it is very involved but can be done!
Unread 04-22-05, 04:32 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
a while back, I saw that plane. It was for sale. Don't remember much about it, except that the tires on the mains were big. nose gear was normal size.