Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 04-30-09, 01:31 PM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
Headliner....

My headliner and plastic parts for the interior need some TLC. It looks as though "PlanePlastics" is a reasonable source for the plastic stuff but I am not sure what to do about the headliner. As crazy as it sounds I am thinking about painting it. The condition of it is not too terrible but the color is no good. PlanePlastics sells these "SEM Color Coats" that they claim can be used to change the color and restore, "most vinyl surfaces, flexible and rigid plastics, carpet and velour." I am thinking if it works on "carpet and velour" that maybe it would work on whatever the material is that Cessna glued to these 4 backing boards used in the 73G models and later. Anybody ever tried this or have any thoughts? I would consider replacing the entire headliner but I'm guessing that would be many thousands to get one from Cessna or to have some shop fabricate one. I'm all ears for any ideas or suggestions form the forum!

Thanks Ed
Unread 04-30-09, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
In my '73 the headliner covers a multitude of stuff, including fuel guage units and autopilot electronics. I think you might find a shop that will do a semi-rigid headliner for hundreds (maybe low hundreds) rather than thousands. For even greater savings, and at the risk of getting myself in trouble, couldn't an automobile upholstery shop do it using approved fire-retardant material?

Ernie
Unread 04-30-09, 07:15 PM

tropical is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Martin View Post
In my '73 the headliner covers a multitude of stuff, including fuel guage units and autopilot electronics. I think you might find a shop that will do a semi-rigid headliner for hundreds (maybe low hundreds) rather than thousands. For even greater savings, and at the risk of getting myself in trouble, couldn't an automobile upholstery shop do it using approved fire-retardant material?

Ernie
Yes it can be done by an automotive upholstery shop. Just make sure they get the required paperwork (burn data). And you can do this being the aircraft owner under Part 43. Just make sure to make a logbook entry for the work performed.

Appendix A to Part 43—Major Alterations, Major Repairs, and Preventive Maintenance

(c) Preventive maintenance. Preventive maintenance is limited to the following work, provided it does not involve complex assembly operations:

(9) Refinishing decorative coating of fuselage, balloon baskets, wings tail group surfaces (excluding balanced control surfaces), fairings, cowlings, landing gear, cabin, or cockpit interior when removal or disassembly of any primary structure or operating system is not required.
Unread 04-30-09, 07:23 PM

tropical is an unknown quantity at this point
Since the forum won't let me edit my reply, I was going to add as the owner you must remove the headliner and replace it. Just make a logbook entry for the work done.
Unread 04-30-09, 10:36 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm surprised about not being able to edit. You clicked on Edit and it didn't allow it, or you did the editing and it wouldn't post it? Do me afavor and try it again, clicking on Save at the end. It should work whether it's been hours or days since your posting. I just dit it twice on this posting.

Ernie
Unread 05-01-09, 08:30 AM
Owner 337H N337DC

Dale Campbell is an unknown quantity at this point
Headliner

Hi,
I had my whole interior done by O & N Aviation in Factoryville,Pa. They covered all plastic headliner parts with a felt like material and it looks great and all panels velcro in place and remove easily. It is also less noisier than previous interior. Good luck and safe flying. Dale
Unread 05-01-09, 10:07 AM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by edasmus View Post
As crazy as it sounds I am thinking about painting it. The condition of it is not too terrible but the color is no good. PlanePlastics sells these "SEM Color Coats" that they claim can be used to change the color and restore, "most vinyl surfaces, flexible and rigid plastics, carpet and velour." I am thinking if it works on "carpet and velour" that maybe it would work on whatever the material is that Cessna glued to these 4 backing boards used in the 73G models and later. Anybody ever tried this or have any thoughts?
Thanks Ed
All the Royalite plastic in my '68 was painted during the recent interior upgrade. It worked very well. Because of the shape that Cessna made the window trim wrapping the plastic in Ultrasuede was going to be a real challenge (some window trim like Beech and Piper are much simpler design) so my interior tech painted it. My plastic was in really good shape and turned out great. I had to buy a new overhead console but all the rest is original.

I think you would be surprise if you had your panels wrapped in Ultrasuede or fabric. Use a certified material or have the material treated and it would provide a nice new finish look. Most all automobiles have this in the headliner of new cars. It is very modern and will or can provide a warmer, quieter environment.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years