Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 03-08-10, 08:51 AM

Roger is an unknown quantity at this point
Everybody should stop thinking of this as an AD. It is not and AD, and as I mentioned before after talking to the FAA, it will more than likely never become an AD, and nobody is even talking about making it into an AD. I suppose it could become "something else". Like now that Cessna has started this program, they may push to try and change the rules or governening law on how these SID's are handled, but it will never be aa AD.
Unread 03-09-10, 10:32 AM

N5ZX is on a distinguished road
I completely agree with Roger. The SID is not an AD.

Regrettably, I am among many who are having a "Chicken Little" reaction, thinking the sky is falling merely because somone wants to give SOME of us another hoop to jump through in order to get our treat (flying).

Since the jury is still out on the true validity of the concerns addressed in the SID, it is only fair that the judgement also be witheld on the veracity of the measure.

I am certainly NOT anti-government nor am I anti-regulation....heck, I am a former regulatOR.

I believe that a majority of their intent is to make things safe. But I am reluctant to participate in being governed by the protections of the lowest common denominator.....in essence, most laws and regulations exist to protect idiots and deprive them of the responcibility of good decision making and the consequences of bad decision making. The result is a theoretically safer populace that has been relieved of much of its decision making ability.

The path to hell is paved with good intentions.....and many of those intentions can be marketed (both genuinely or deceptively) as "safety".
I am a complete and thorough supporter of ANYTHING rationally improving safety. But if safety were my ONLY concern, I'd stay in bed.

I am confident that none of the regulators anticipate the SID becomeing an AD...nor do they anticipate the insurance underwriters using it as a criteria for coverage...and the NTSB will certainly never imply that failing to comply with a SID might have possibly contributed in some way to an accident (in the future) there-by casting a doubt on the responcibility and liability of the operator...and the under-informed community at-large would never use the existance of a SID to globally doubt (and thus devalue) an entire fleet of aircraft.......all without having even a single example of the "problem" actually existing.

Again, I am truely and genuinely concerned with safety. I love flying my SkyMaster. But I also want to go home at the end of the day...with my family...and not harm anyone else in the process either. I'd just really like to see some support to justify their sudden concern. You do that through a representative sampling of the fleet. Cessna should cover the burden of testing 10 ships with a history of being heavy-haulers or aerobatic ships (those most likely to have strained their spars). If they find PROOF of cause for concern...I'm on board! Not just on board; I'll put on the hat, pick up the puncher and become the conductor: "Tickets please."

Until then, it just kinda sounds like some engineer has a new toy and says: "Hey guys, you know we can use this to check for that and might find something someday."

If Cessna were to have approached it with a "Yall might wanna..." attitude, instead of "You must..." the reception would have been much different.
I'm a firm believer that the best place to stop encroachment....is at the curb....with a strong fence. Dont let them get a foot-hold.
No, I dont have a stock-pile of anything in a basement. No I dont wrap myself in a flag and claim violation of my rights or freedoms. But I would like it if those who CAN interfere in my life would just leave me the (heck) alone until they can substantiate their claims.

I know....I'm way too much of an FNG to be saying so much....especially with so much determination. But I feel quite strongly about allowing people to make decisions for themselves.

I do agree though that we should not propogate the idea that the SID will become an AD or anything else other than what we see on the horizon. Rampant speculation, and jumping at shadows accomplishes nothing but excited hysteria.

Wait and see....hope for the best...prepare for the worst....all that stuff.

Last rant (for a while)....I promise.

Cole
Unread 03-09-10, 07:14 PM

Roger is an unknown quantity at this point
Cole - Some nerd or marketing exec at Cessna (the same group that can't design a Skycatcher to stay in the air, 60 years after their predecessors built 150's) are not the people who are going to bring you home safely. You're Skymaster will, provided that you maintain it to reasonable limits and spend your spare time becoming a great pilot

I do however think that we as a group should consider sending something to AOPA to see if they want to get on the SID crusher bandwagon. I however have my doubts that they would fight one of their largest advertisers. Especially when all they have to say is "we're just trying to keep you safe".

We could instead all be driving Toyota's if we want to be safe. Wait that won't work.

Speaking of which, I notice that it doesn't matter how old your Toyota is, they are fixing them for free. Is Cessna planning on doing the same thing? It's the same issue, worn out parts.
Unread 03-09-10, 11:28 PM

stackj is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to stackj
I can pretty much assure you that Cessna is not going to do anything for free... Try buying a fuel selector valve to understand true extortion.
Unread 03-10-10, 01:41 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
0-2

I got an interesting email, not so long ago, from a person in the Navy. He was in El Salvador, and attempting to help the El Salvador Air Force repair a recently crashed 0-2. Yes, they still use them.
He was looking for an airframe repair manual. The P-3's that he works on have an airframe repair manual, and he wanted to find the equivalent, from Cessna. It turns out that there isn't one.
This becomes meaningful in light of the SID's. If there is no manual on how to repair something, what happens when the disassembly, or re-assembly, damages something.
Probably, there are IA's out there that can answer that question, but the repair techs in the El Salvador Air Force didn't know how to repair this 0-2. Neither did a US Navy tech.
The 0-2 had the right main gear give way on landing, causing the right wing to be deformed, pushed back.
Here's some pictures.

http://picasaweb.google.com/11786150...eat=directlink

If anyone has any ideas, I'll pass them along.
Thanks.
Larry
Unread 03-10-10, 01:56 PM

K337A is on a distinguished road
Quick hide the O2 post. Cessna will have a Main LDG SID issued, based upon the "advanced systems and techniques" originating from the Black Ops..."Secret Squirrel Department." This 02 could be the poster child for this years "Aging Aircraft Symposium".
Unread 03-10-10, 09:35 PM
Ace of the Atmosphere

skymstr02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Larry,
There are several O-2 Maintenance, structural repair and Illustrated Parts Manuals out there. Don Neiser carries them in stock. I have about $500 tied up in my set.
How are the El Salvadorians maintaining their aircraft? I can't imagine that the US Government would give the airplanes away as aid without the support documents.