Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 01-08-03, 04:40 AM

Wayne Pearce is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Xwind

Interesting thing ?
My 337G is ex New Zealand (land of the long white cloud)
The NZ POH states that the max crosswind component is 20 knots but the Australian POH that I have states that the max Xwind is 12 knots........Seems to handle close to 18 or 19 knots OK with lots of rudder.........can members confirm what their POH's say for Xwind and wether it is knots or mph

Regards..Wayne.....(land of the big lizard)
Unread 01-08-03, 11:10 AM

kevin is on a distinguished road
The O-2 manual says maximum direct crosswind is 25 knots. They also prohibit TO and landing in winds above 40 knots. This matches my experience with my Skymasters, I have have made landings with 20 kt direct crosswind many times, but would not want to exceed 25.

I can't find *any* reference to demonstrated crosswind component in my P337H manual. I know that Cessna never provides a limit, just a demonstrated amount. But I can't even find that in the manual I have here at home.

Kevin
Unread 01-08-03, 12:12 PM
Jim Rainer

Jim Rainer is an unknown quantity at this point
XWIND

I have a 1976 337G normallly aspirated. The book says the "maximum demonstrated crosswind velocity" is 12 knots. This is not a limiting factor - just what they had when they did the original flight tests. This velocity is grossly understated as the 337 can take way more than a 12 knot crosswind component! This is true even in a "turbulent, rolling wind" situation caused by buildings, trees or terrain.

This information is found in my POH in Section 4 "Normal Procedures" on the page in the front of the section called "Speeds for Normal Operation." Took a minute to find it.

Hope that helps.
Unread 01-09-03, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Wayne:

I have a 1973 337G. The POH says "with average pilot technique, the airplane can be safely landed in direct crosswinds of 20 knots". It also says to use full flaps and goes on to say that the maximum crosswind is more a function of pilot proficiency than airplane limitations. Suggests to me that an experienced pilot can land with well over 20 knots.

I find the "pilot proficiency" statement accurate, having once taken the yoke away from a CFI who was meandering all over the place in his hugely unsuccesful attempt to land my 1969 337D in heavy crosswinds in ABI.

Ernie
Unread 01-09-03, 07:41 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
pilot technique

I once landed in GRR with 20Kts at 90 degrees to the runway, and had no problems. I was able to track straight down the centerline.
Boot full of right rudder, though.
Unread 01-10-03, 02:33 AM

Kevin McDole is an unknown quantity at this point
In the 76 P model POH it says Maximum Demonstrated Corsswind Velocity is 12 Knots for Takeoff or Landing.
Unread 01-10-03, 06:54 AM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
xwind limits

IT is obviously limited by pilots experience and confidence.

I have landed in close to 20knt xwind without trouble..... and yes.... a boot full of rudder. Guess all that Rudder (2) helps with directional authority.

fwiw

bob
Unread 01-15-03, 05:13 PM

Paul Sharp is an unknown quantity at this point
Kevin, you mentioned the O-2 manual's prohibition against TO and Landing in over 40 knots. Do you know if that's due to problems they found? It would seem to me that the more important factor would the the gust potential. I.e., if the wind were a steady 50 kts you'd think you could land fine so long as it wasn't a crosswind. But if it's gusting then things can get hairy faster. ???