Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 05-03-11, 03:37 PM

travis is an unknown quantity at this point
We did it ourselves... With the stripping, sanding, painting, stainless hardware and a few replacement panels we came at about 13k! That was the lowest price I was quoted for a sand and spray in white with one stripe! It is a complete pain though. So many bits and pieces and nooks and crannies... It took us 18 months to get back in the air and we had several struggles with our mechanic and IA. But in the end it was worth it to get the look we wanted and know that the work was done well and the aircraft is sound.
_travis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0547small.jpg
Views:	1030
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	1244   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0554small.jpg
Views:	1059
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	1245  
Unread 05-03-11, 10:24 PM

Guy Paris is an unknown quantity at this point
aircraft painting....

Hi Joe,

I have been to this shop in Oxford Maine. Have seen some of there work, real nice. I don't know if they are still painting. Guy

http://www.oxfordaviation.com/index.html
Unread 05-05-11, 08:00 AM

jchronic is on a distinguished road
Hello Guy -
Thanks for the tip; their name also came up from a couple of other contacts. So I actually got a quote from them last week - which sort of watered my eyes: $22+K. They're clearly a quality shop with a sterling reputation, but even with that, one of my neighbors had some issues with them over a job he had done there.

I'm still wrestling with the economics of the whole thing, not simply the out-of-pocket $$ but with the aspect of making that large an investment in something that clearly (to me) isn't going to gain - and most likely not even maintain - it's value going forward. The airplanes are not classics in the usual sense of the word (except maybe to us) and I see their resale value continuing to drop over time as they get harder (read 'more expensive') to keep in service....parts, the whole 100LL issue, etc.

Of course, there's the aesthetic (sp?)/pride-of-ownership aspect also. But mine is a working airplane and I have to weigh the overall economics of the repaint. Which also means I can't have the airplane down for 12-18 months while I struggle through a DIY job. Decisions, decisions.............

Joe
Unread 05-05-11, 09:58 AM
Owner 337H N337DC

Dale Campbell is an unknown quantity at this point
Paint Job

I had my 337H stripped and repainted at Smoke Town Airport in Pa. 10 years ago at a price of 12K. They did a beutiful job and it is 3 colors see my photo, and only took them 4 weeks to get my plane back. They did all the painting of O&N 210 aircraft conversions called the Eagle that were upgraded to Turbines. O & N in Northeastern Pa. now do there own painting. There is also a good paint shop at airport N79 in Northumberland, Pa. Stop in these shops if you are in Northeastern Pa. Good luck, Dale

Last edited by Dale Campbell : 05-05-11 at 10:01 AM.
Unread 05-05-11, 12:10 PM

Paint scheme.

Hi Joe,

Just maybe that O2 paint scheme doesn't look that bad. In the interim, wing tips tail tips

and a few other places in day glo. Just some thoughts. I think the shop here in Nashua

would do that.

Guy....
Unread 05-06-11, 06:01 PM

jchronic is on a distinguished road
I'll check with them (Nashua) as part of the decision process, Guy. It's as convenient a location as I'll find; been to a couple of EAA workshops there. I can certainly live with the camo awhile longer if I have to, even though some prospective clients look a little funny at it at first glance.

Trust you got my e-mail re my maintenance provider...
Joe
Unread 05-07-11, 10:23 AM

Painting

Joe,

The shop is Leland Aero Service located on the south east end of the field. They do small painting such as airframe parts, flaps etc. along with all other services.

And yes on the latter remark and thanks.

Guy....