Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 01-15-09, 02:31 PM

rmorris is an unknown quantity at this point
rear prop - bad day

Had a minor disaster yesterday. Went in for an oil change in Ft Lauderdale (was down visiting the area) and the a&p looked over at the rear prop and pointed out a major gouge in the leading edge. Looks like it hit a bolt at high speed.

Anyway, it was beyond dressing out, so had to drive home last night. My wife really enjoyed the long drive - she just expressed anger the whole way, I'm sure she's fine

The prop only had about 350 hrs since overhaul, but at min the blade needs to be replaced. So I will likely need a new blade, but maybe just get a whole new prop = when I say new, I mean new to me (like overhauled, or as removed from a salvaged plane but in good condition).

I've already touched base with Don Neiser (since he is who I bought the plane from a year and half ago), but thought folks on this board might know additional resources I could check out.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
________
VAPIR NO2 VAPORIZER

Last edited by rmorris : 03-12-11 at 12:01 PM.
Unread 01-15-09, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Let me make several suggestions. First, get a second opinion. I've had an A&Ptell me a prop can't be overhauled and the prop shop tell me differently. I did my last prop job at Aero Propeller of Miami (305- 592-8760), and that's the people who had disagreed with the A&P. They are close to Ft. Lauderdale and for a fee will probably go up and check it for you.

If you do need a blade, Don is a good source and Aero Propeller of Miami might also be able to help (the next-to-last job was done by them, I needed a blade and they had one in stock, bought for a Latin American air force which still flies Skymasters).

Ernie
Unread 01-15-09, 07:21 PM

which props work?

Ernie,
Thanks. I called and they are gathering info on what they have or can have to offer. Supposed to callback tomorrow.

ALL,

Is there a specific spot you can go to find out which propellers are certified for which model Skymasters? I found a McCauley prop from one guy today who says they are getting rid of it because they no longer own the model of SKymaster for which it was a spare and it doesn't fit their other Skymaster. Originally I thought of the type certificate, but I've been told by several that I should consider the 'newer' model of the McCauley prop for my plane (C302 I think)...so it makes me think there should be a list somewhere.
________
Suzuki gsx-r1100

Unread 01-15-09, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
If the other blade is good, there is of course a significant price advantage if you can find a replacement blade. If the aircraft still has the original model (and the log books should tell you that), then the type certificate (easily found in the FAA's website) will tell you what to look for. Don is probably the best person to guide you.

Ernie
Unread 01-15-09, 09:05 PM

Prop compatibility list

Of course Don is a good resource to have as a Skymaster owner. But since he also is in the business of selling props, it seems wise to have other resources as well. That's kinda the purpose of posting to this site, to share resources. If anyone knows a resource I could use on the net to verify which props are certified on which Skymasters, I would appreciate it.
________
BUY VOLCANO VAPORIZER

Unread 01-16-09, 01:39 AM

Skymaster337B is an unknown quantity at this point
Will your insurance cover the repairs? I have AVEMCO and the cover alot of crazy things like this...damage, other than normal wear, might include a prop gouge.

Last edited by Skymaster337B : 01-16-09 at 01:41 AM.
Unread 01-16-09, 07:51 AM

no insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skymaster337B View Post
Will your insurance cover the repairs? I have AVEMCO and the cover alot of crazy things like this...damage, other than normal wear, might include a prop gouge.
You are going to love this irony (at my expense, literally and figuratively)...
My annual premium with Avemco was about $4200/yr for only $40k in hull coverage. So I let it lapse Nov 1st, planning on shopping around for a better premium while buidling hours to help lower my premium. My tt is about 700 with about 250+ in 337, all within the last 3 years. Needless to say that if I had insurance, my stress factor would be much lower right now. Still think I made the right choice to play the statistics, just didn't work out for me.
________
Armenian Cooking

Last edited by rmorris : 03-12-11 at 12:02 PM.
Unread 01-16-09, 09:56 AM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorris View Post
You are going to love this irony (at my expense, literally and figuratively)...
My annual premium with Avemco was about $4200/yr for only $40k in hull coverage. So I let it lapse Nov 1st, planning on shopping around for a better premium while buidling hours to help lower my premium. My tt is about 700 with about 250+ in 337, all within the last 3 years. Needless to say that if I had insurance, my stress factor would be much lower right now. Still think I made the right choice to play the statistics, just didn't work out for me.
You need to talk to Skysmith (Scott Smith). My premium was never that high. http://www.skysmith.com
Unread 01-16-09, 11:46 AM

certified prop resource...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorris View Post
Of course Don is a good resource to have as a Skymaster owner. But since he also is in the business of selling props, it seems wise to have other resources as well. That's kinda the purpose of posting to this site, to share resources. If anyone knows a resource I could use on the net to verify which props are certified on which Skymasters, I would appreciate it.

Partially correcting myself...the Type Certificate apparently has many revisions as years go along. I found a nice spot to look at mine (which is A6CE) here:
http://www.aftd.com/tcds.html

Now it's not complete, because there are STCs folks could have that aren't listed (lime MT-Propeller), but it does show me the McCauley props that are certified for my plane.
________
Honda civic (fifth generation)

Last edited by rmorris : 03-12-11 at 12:02 PM.
Unread 01-16-09, 01:26 PM
Ace of the Atmosphere

skymstr02 is an unknown quantity at this point
The reason that the MT props aren't listed is that this document (A6CE) is the type certificate data sheet (TCDS) and the MT props are STC'd, that is that they are supplemental type certified, which means that they are in addition to the TCDS. Cessna owned/owns McCauley, thats why they never certified anything other than the McCauley props on this airplane.
Unread 01-16-09, 10:55 PM

Jay Lessen is on a distinguished road
If you had a bolt hit it look at the rear muff bolt see if it is still there?
Unread 01-17-09, 11:50 PM

Skymaster337B is an unknown quantity at this point
AVEMCO can not be beat. I try every year. The one time some one quoted lower they didn't offer as much...such as no deductable for gear up, etc. If some one quotes you lower than AVEMCO I suggest you call AVEMCO and tell them...I did. Then they asked me a whole bunch of questions about the other insurance policy that I didn't have answers to, like gear up deductable, etc. By the way, I only pay $1600 a year, for $50,000 hull coverage. It's all based upon total retractable gear hours. I'm over 2,000 hours so that's why it's cheaper.

I couldn't leave the hangar knowing my plane wasn't covered for gear up (my mistake or the airplane's) or theft, weather damage, etc. After all, that's why I have a Skymaster...extra insurance of the second engine.
Unread 01-18-09, 02:07 AM

JeffAxel is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skymaster337B View Post
AVEMCO can not be beat. I try every year. The one time some one quoted lower they didn't offer as much...such as no deductable for gear up, etc. If some one quotes you lower than AVEMCO I suggest you call AVEMCO and tell them...I did. Then they asked me a whole bunch of questions about the other insurance policy that I didn't have answers to, like gear up deductable, etc. By the way, I only pay $1600 a year, for $50,000 hull coverage. It's all based upon total retractable gear hours. I'm over 2,000 hours so that's why it's cheaper.

I couldn't leave the hangar knowing my plane wasn't covered for gear up (my mistake or the airplane's) or theft, weather damage, etc. After all, that's why I have a Skymaster...extra insurance of the second engine.
This may be true for a non pressurized plane, but I have never gotten a competitive quote from Avemco on either P210's or my P337. I would love to hear if this has changed though.......