Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 05-10-02, 11:19 AM

TX or mid-west 337 pre-buy shop

does anyone know of a qualified shop in TX or the mid-west to conduct a thorough pre-buy inspection on a Riley T337G-P? Anyone to stay away from?
Unread 05-10-02, 02:30 PM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
pre buy

Could recommend one at AGC. They are very good. Think Larry B can recommend someone in Michigan.

bob
Unread 05-10-02, 02:49 PM

would be interested in the AGC Contact

I'm over at CMH so AGC would be convenient. MI's also not far, is the MI contact John Russman?
Unread 05-10-02, 04:10 PM
N69S

re prebuy

You haven't given me your name. Is it "JAZZ".

Lane aviation is very good but quite expensive.

I suggest
Advanced Maintenance 412 466 8790 at AGC. Persons name is Steve. I do my annuals with him and he knows the AC inside out (Riley). If you know what you are doing, he will let you work with him. There are hotels close by and he is very thorough. He specializes in MU-2s and Cessnas..

I go into Marysville, Blue Ash and KLUK quite often.

fyi

Bob
Unread 05-10-02, 04:46 PM
N69S

JAZZ - prebuy

I should have figured you may be looking at the one at Lane (guess you wouldn't want them to do the pre-buy ;>(

You should check the rear engine since it is original. It probably has the VAR crank that will need replacing (probably the front as well) if the cases are split (6k$ each). Also see if it is a "C" or "CB". IF "C" then check to see if there is a "H" on the case for heavy duty. I am not sure which engine was delivered with AC.

2) check AD on props. There was a problem with inspection of bolts with the earlier props. The annual inspection is no longer authorized by McCauley.

3) would consider borescope or pull a jug to check for corrosion on engine (rear). 1200 hrs is pretty low time.

4) Check dates on gear hoses and fuel hoses. They may need to be replaced. About 2500 dollars plus labor for all.

5) Flight test to check pressurization would be a MUST, also to check to see if you can hold press to 20k. Seals around control cables may be shot.

******Other note********
There is NO Air conditioning and you are going to find this AC extremely warm. You will need to put 20k aside to keep your head from frying unless you plan to run this north of the 40th parrellel. Try it on a warm day to see if you can accept it this way.

"They" say the engine is rated at 250hp at 37 inches. WRONG. Try 225 hp. There are no mods to get to 250 hp unless you go to the SUPER Skyrocket with a pair of 540's/

Just passing comments.....

if you are not familiar with the P337, he rated performance figures quoted are erring on the optomistic side.

Bob
Unread 05-10-02, 05:28 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
Just for another viewpoint, I run my P337 with cabin alititude set to 9,000' in the summer (so that I get max outside airflow - when pressurization kicks in, outside airflow reduces by about 50%), and climb to high altitude on most trips. Perhaps my brains are already fried, but I find that I get acceptable airflow during the climb. Yes, when it is 90 or 100 F outside, it is hot, but not $20K worth of hot. (I fly in the southwest quite a bit - Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Souther Cal.) Also, adding air conditioning has been specifically warned against by several sources, as it makes maintenance even more of a challenge (access is more difficult).

'Course I've never had air conditioning, and Bob has, so what do I know...

Kevin
Fried Brain P337 pilot.
Unread 05-10-02, 08:59 PM
N69S

fried brains

Kevin

Anyone from Oregon surely does not know what HOT IS. Yes you can get around it. Sitting on the tarmac at 100 deg and 100%humidity wishing you were in Oregon isn't much fun; been there!
Yes, you do skin your nuckles more.....

bob
Unread 05-10-02, 09:37 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
Have flown unairconditioned airplanes in the Phillipines, Thailand, Mexico, Arizona, Texas, New Mexico. Maybe I know TOO well what hot it... ;-)

How do you unfry your brains?

Kevin
Unread 05-11-02, 01:26 PM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
Intercoolers really help!

Hey Bob & Kevin,

Don't know whether you have intercoolers, but even on the rare hot, humid, sunny days that we have up here in the Pacific Northwest, they do help in keeping the cabin fairly comfortable as that compressed air gets a good cooling first before it enters. Well, maybe not down low... but Kevin's got the right idea... go unpressurized down low if temperature conditions warrant. However, with the climb rates of these turbocharged models, it doesn't take too long to get to altitude where the air is naturally air conditioned! Wow, $20K for air... that's a lot for 'cold'! (Think of all the avgas $20K will buy!!!)

BTW, our 1977 P-model has the American Aviation Intercoolers, and the radiator section appears to be a little larger than the Riley, and with a more streamlined, smoother scoop.

SkyKing
Unread 05-11-02, 01:52 PM

Original might be better

Jazzman:

Since I have some personal knowledge about two of the P337's out there for sale, I thought I'd share my two cents. In Trade-A-Plane, you'll find a 1977 model (N1ZJ)... and a 1978 model (N90BK) and they're both in Texas.

N1ZJ was a bank repo that we bid on for $70K, but we lost out by about $2K... the airplane was run out, and in need of paint and interior work, although all of the avionics and panel were factory original and all in working order (all 400 series). It was equipped with R/STOL and last time I checked, the asking price had been reduced to $198K... but it was given a complete makeover. It has new engines, American Aviation Intercoolers and all new Garmin stuff, plus a new leather interior.... very sharp!

The other P-model is N90BK and when we lost the bid tried to secure this one. However, for our needs, it was pretty light on radios, but did have radar, didn't have a hot prop and no de-ice, and had the big Keith type air conditioning box in the rear, all original and new-looking interior. But best of all it was only 1600 TT and 300 or 400 hours on each engine. It went for $125K. The new owner has now completed a makeover and is asking $275. They ripped out the old Keith box and installed Riley air, went to a new panel with Garmins, new engines, new paint and the works. If you could negotiate with the owner, this would be a VERY nice bird. I've tried to attach a jpeg, but if you have access to T-A-P on line, you'll find the whole spread.

If you happen to secure either of these birds, I have all of the original documentation and the 'before' pictures.

SkyKing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg n90bk-ext.jpg (19.9 KB, 1738 views)
Unread 05-11-02, 01:58 PM

More jpeg's of N90BK

Jazzman:

Here are some more pics of the low-time 1978 P-model, N90BK.

SkyKing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg n90bk-panel.jpg (29.1 KB, 1687 views)
Unread 05-11-02, 11:30 PM

Re: Original Might Be Better

SkyKing, I was looking at two of them - N403V and N1ZK. ZK is at Lane and was previously addressed in this post (original rear with 1265TT, front has 90SFRM but had a melt down at 87hrs and only 3hrs since coming off repairs, needs prop overhauls, boots are in poor shape, had damage, and has only been flown 10hrs in the last 3 years and 0 in the last 18 months...). 3V is the one I'm moving on, but am waiting for verification of complete logs and NDH. Any scoop on either appreciated.
Unread 05-12-02, 07:20 PM

Jazzman:

I'm not familiar with either P337's. I looked on TAP, Controller and ASO, but didn't see N403V... what are the specs, times and asking price... might be able to give you some ideas.

SkyKing
Unread 05-12-02, 07:40 PM
N69S

re 403V

Skyking

The one is on the laneaviation sight. www.laneaviation.com. I can't find 403V either.

bob
Unread 05-12-02, 07:53 PM

N403V

is both @ www.superskyrocket.com and Bill Crews' www.skymaster.com site