Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 09-30-02, 11:05 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Seat Belts

HAS ANYONE TRIED ANY OTHER SEAT BELTS THAT ARE AVAILABLE OUT THERE IN 337 LAND? I AM CONSIDERING A 3 OR 4 POINT SYSTEM FOR THE LEFT AND RIGHT SEAT UP FRONT. ANY THOUGHTS? I HAVE A 1968 C MODEL.

I HAVE SOME INFO ON B.A.S. INC. OUT IN OREGON COUNTRY. HAS ANYONE HAD ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THIS COMPANY?

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 10-01-02, 01:35 AM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
Curious... what's wrong with the seat belts that came with the plane, or are you doing loops like Steve Weaver does with Bodacious?

SkyKing
Unread 10-01-02, 07:52 AM
Forum Administrator

ONE CAN ONLY WISH TO DO SUCH SHOW STOPPING STUNTS. MY 337 MAY HANDLE THE ABUSE BUT THE PILOT MAY NOT.

THE BELTS THAT COME WITH THE '68 MODEL ARE ONLY LAP AND DOES NOT INCLUDE SHOULDER STRAP. YOU GUYS WITH THE MODERN UPDATED EQUIPMENT MAY NOT NEED THESE. I HAVE HEARD THAT 'IF' A PERSON HAD TO DITCH THE CHANCES OF WALKING AWAY ARE MUCH GREATER WITH SHOULDER RESTAINTS. NOT THAT ANY OF US ARE PLANNING TO DIG ANY DITCHES.
Unread 10-01-02, 08:40 AM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
seat belts

I have the retractable and tried to install the BAS belts.

IT requires drilling a hole in the spar. I quit at that point. They are not approved was the other reason.

Perhaps installing the over the shoulder optional harness may be the answer.

fyi

bob
Unread 10-01-02, 03:50 PM
George M. Amthor, Jr.

GMAs is on a distinguished road
Question 3 point, 4 point.....

I think you will find that the later ones, 3 point, are just as good as the 4 point seatbelt harness... as the major reason they don't use them in the private planes is 1. they are expensive, 2. they are unconfortable, 3. they jam on impact... yep they are not as good and even thought he military and aerobatic guy and gals use them... if they ever crash... they have a heck of a time getting out of them... not to mention that you have a 3 part back and a broken neck... but, they did stop you and hold you into the seat... however the seat broke free and the weight of all the other stuff behind it... contrib to you looking like you got squeezed out of a cookie frosting decrator... as you were stopping all the goods by your seatbelts holding all...

The three point was decided to be the best and the safest...as well as the cheepest (best for the buck) because it keeps you from going forward... on impact while not jamming you in... as you can release the bottom lap belt and still get out of it without much consern for the sholder belt restrictions...

so they are cheeper, work as well and are more comfortable than the 4 points... and they can be added to your later year by attaching it to the side rail bulkhead... see later models parts manuals for details... Cessna also has a kit for upgrading your early model to the 3 point also...

Hope this helps.. G.M.>GMAs
Unread 10-01-02, 04:18 PM
Forum Administrator

THANK YOU GMA'S FOR YOUR REPLY. I REALLY CAN SEE THAT IT IS A DOUBLE EDGE SWORD. YOU HAVE EXPLAINED A SAFE AND PRACTICLE OPTION.
Unread 10-02-02, 03:50 AM

Kevin McDole is an unknown quantity at this point
Inertial Reel Belts?

OK, so the 4 point system may not be the ultimate seat belt. But does anyone know where you can get a 3 point inertial reel seat belt for the Skymaster? The "fixed" shoulder straps are just too limiting when you're trying to reach for things.
Unread 10-02-02, 09:57 AM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
Kevin(M)

I have the inertial reels as an option from Cessna. Try the boneyards or there is a seat belt mfgr in Calif (forget the name) that has the inertial reel and belts. Here is where B.A.S. just might be able to help. There are fittings in the spar (in mine anyways) that should support the reels. They do work well.

bob
Unread 07-08-08, 11:50 PM
Forum Administrator

I am dragging this old thread out from the archives.....................has anyone had any new seat belt purchases? I am still looking and it sounds like the 3 point system would be sufficent. Thoughts?

Unread 07-09-08, 11:08 PM

JeffAxel is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Herb,
my Skymaster ( a '77 T337G) had BAS seat belts in it when I got it. They are wonderful. No problems moving around, and I am sure they would be much better in a crash than the factory 3 point seat belts my 210 had. There is only one buckle, just like the stock seat belts, so no additional hassles getting them off. They are approved for Skymasters under
STC SA2067NM. I would recommend them.
Unread 07-12-08, 05:28 PM

billsheila is an unknown quantity at this point
Seat Belts Help

Hi Herb;
I went digging into the paperwork I have for N2131X and it appears that the 3 point belts installed in my bird were sold by a company called "Aircraft Belts, Inc." out of Kemah, Texas. The phone number I have is 713-538-1284 but this is off of a invoice from 1995 so who knows if still valid. I didn't try googling them but that might be a way to check on them.

Hope that helps.
Bill
Unread 07-13-08, 03:11 PM
Ace of the Atmosphere

skymstr02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Aircraft Belts only repairs exisiting units, they don't have STC's or installation data.
Unread 07-20-08, 09:43 PM
Forum Administrator

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAxel View Post
BAS seat belts They are wonderful. No problems moving around, There is only one buckle, just like the stock seat belts, so no additional hassles getting them off. They are approved for Skymasters under
STC SA2067NM. I would recommend them.
Thanks for the reply Jeff, I really questioned if they would be comfortable or not. In the pictures I have seen they look very restrictive, like the upper belts are rubbing up against the neck. My concern with BAS over other 4 point systems is the single attachment point for the upper belts. This looks really uncomfortable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	harness_front.jpg
Views:	1147
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	617  

Unread 07-21-08, 12:17 AM

JeffAxel is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up BAS belts

Well Herb, that has not been my experience. I thought the same as you, and wouldn't have done the installation either based on appearence. As I said, my plane came with them already installed, so I had to try them out and I have found them to be quite comfortable, no hanging on your neck at all. I feel they are a good upgrade, but as they say, YMMV! You might find a plane with them installed and try them out, who knows, you might like them! If you find yourself out this way, look me up, you can try mine.
Unread 07-21-08, 08:57 AM
Forum Administrator

Thanks Jeff, I will be in Twin Falls August 11th week. Will that be close enough? Meet you there! I would love to try them.