Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 09-28-16, 03:25 AM

basloane is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine Misfire at Altitude

Thanks Herb.

Is the organization ( and contact information ) you are referring to?

Magneto ER Inc. 2505 South Main St. Searcy, AR 72143 Phone: 501-268-9950

Regards,...... Barry
Unread 09-30-16, 10:25 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Barry
Bingo

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 08-04-20, 12:18 PM

JimC is on a distinguished road
Is it possible to get pressurized magnetos on a non-pressurized turbo Skymaster? I took my T337E up to FL180 for the first time yesterday and had bad misfiring, so I went back to 16,000 where it ran well. I'd like to be able to use all the FLs I can, especially eastbound.
Unread 08-05-20, 09:06 AM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Is it possible to get pressurized magnetos on a non-pressurized turbo Skymaster? I took my T337E up to FL180 for the first time yesterday and had bad misfiring, so I went back to 16,000 where it ran well. I'd like to be able to use all the FLs I can, especially eastbound.
Sure, it wouldn’t be too difficult. You’d have to tap into the upper deck pressure line…the pressurized Skymasters have a nipple welded to the steel pressure line that runs between cylinders 1 & 2, then a rubber hose comes from that nipple to a tee fitting, then rubber hoses going to the barb fitting on each mag. You’d also want to add an inline filter (1396-2 from RAM Aircraft) just before the tee fitting to make sure you’re not pumping crud into the mags.
You’d have to remove one plastic cap on each mag and add a barb fitting. Also add a gasket between the ignition harness & the mag. Whelen Bruce at Magneto ER is very familiar with this stuff and could hook someone up with the necessary parts if he was given the mag model #’s.
I’m not sure how to do this legally, but I don’t think the actual work would be that much.

Craig Griswold, Director of Maintenance
Griswold Aviation llc
1243 S Kalamazoo Ave Ste C
Marshall, MI 49068
(269) 213-6746 office
(269) 330-2908 cell

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 08-05-20, 10:37 AM

JimC is on a distinguished road
Are there any other T337 owners that are regularly flying at FL180 or higher? How do your mags do? What did you do to get them to run smoothly?
Unread 08-05-20, 12:43 PM

Kim Geyer is an unknown quantity at this point
we do
I make sure the plug gaps are good and the mags are in good shape and timed correctly.
we use to have some issue with occasional misfire but we started using tempest spark plugs and it not much of an issue anymore
as far as pressurized mags I think ram aircraft can fix you up with what you need. I went through the TCM parts manual and ordered all the hard lines and fittings for pressurized mags but never needed to put them on
Kim

Last edited by Kim Geyer : 08-05-20 at 12:48 PM.
Unread 08-05-20, 10:03 PM

basloane is an unknown quantity at this point
A few years ago, I purchased a complete Mag Pressurization kit from Jeff Shapiro at TurboPlus. I believe they still exist in Washington.
If you are experiencing misfiring, might want to check the resistance on your spark plugs. If the resistances are much greater than 1,000 ohms ( >50,000 ) they start misfiring in the outside harness connection at high altitude.
I was experiencing misfiring above 15,000, and spent 4 years and upwards of $3,000 chasing, cleaning, testing and changing pressurization configurations until ( by chance ) we found an article about the problems ( about 6 years ago ) folks were having with AC plugs. We tested all the plugs and most of the resistances were off the scale. We could even see arcing outside the plug.
Sympathetic to my experience, the local rep very kindly provided a new complimentary set of plugs which we installed in the front engine. As an experiment, we switched out the rear plugs for Tempests and then filed for FL220. Both engines purred for about a year, then I started getting "misfires". Found a plug on the FE testing over 1,000,000 ohms ( yes, it was an AC ).
I would be sure that AC has addressed the problem by now, but I would like to see some more hard data......( just the skeptic in me ).....
Or,.... only use the AC plugs in non-pressurized/non-turbocharged aircraft......