Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Parts Sources
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-07-21, 01:31 PM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
looking for Fuel Tank....

Hello all, I'm searching for a replacement fuel tank for my 1973 C337G. The part# is 1516120-15 and an alternate part# is 1516131-1. The first part number would be my preference but apparently the second part number is an acceptable alternate.

This particular tank is the center tank on the "long range" three tank system per wing and this would be on the LH or pilot's side wing.

I have called Don Neiser, Wentworth, Dodson, Texas Air Salvage, Air Salvage of Dallas, and White Industries. I'm waiting for responses but have had two "NO's" so far.

Any other suggestions on salvage yards or sources would be appreciated. If you happen to have one laying around, I'd be interested to hear about it.

My tank is leaking (again, been repaired once before) from two cracks. One on top of the tank that apparently has been caused by "oil canning" (I think that's the correct term), and a crack on one of the hose connections that interconnects the tanks. This area has been repaired before. The crack on top is new. Just thought it might be better to replace the tank since this one hasn't worked out too well.

Thanks,

Ed
Unread 05-11-21, 08:47 PM

hayesjaj is on a distinguished road
I just went through this (White Ind. actually provided one sump tank for me). Two options: One, ship it to Acorn Welding (Canada) and have them overhaul it (I had to do this for my 73G mid right tank). I think it was ~$2k total. They split it, fixed any leaks, etc. Second option, Aviation Enterprises manufactures tanks out of composite now for $3500 ea. Will never corrode/leak. http://www.cessnaskymaster.com/fuel-tanks.html
Unread 05-11-21, 11:06 PM

Thank you. I appreciate these options. I will look into both of these.

Ed
Unread 05-12-21, 06:48 AM

I’m seriously considering the new carbon fiber tank replacement from Owen Bell at Aviation Enterprises. I’m going to talk about it with my IA. It’s obviously pricey but this is the second time I’ve had this tank removed from my plane due to cracking so I’d like to solve this once and for all.

I contacted the company through their website and received a prompt reply which is a good sign. Does anybody out there have any experiences they can share with Aviation Enterprises and Owen Bell?

Thank you,

Ed
Unread 05-13-21, 06:03 PM

I came across a source near Kalamazoo, MI who has experience repairing our fuel tanks. I'll report back after the repair. I'm optimistic! Thanks to Herb Harney for the info.

Ed
Unread 06-29-21, 06:08 PM

An update on my fuel tank repair....

So the Kalamazoo, MI source turned out awesome.* Thanks again Herb for the information.* Dave Cox is the gentlemen who accomplished the repair to my old tank.* My understanding is welding aluminum is no simple task and requires a skilled knowledgeable tech to accomplish correctly.* Dave is all of this and an incredibly kind and helpful soul who enjoys his work and helping folks like me who require his expertise.* He has a full shop at his home filled with everything he could likely ever need which appears to be a product of his life's work and passion.* It looks as if Dave enjoys working on cars as well.

Anyway, his phone number is (269) 217-3008.* He will likely not answer your call however leave a message with your name, contact info, and brief description of the type of repair you are seeking and he will return your call.* In my case, he returned my call very quickly within a matter of minutes.

I delivered my tank to him myself and picked it up when he was done.* He worked with my mechanic over the phone to coordinate his plan for repair.* His billing was extremely reasonable and he likely saved me in excess of $3000.00.* I had no luck attempting to find an identical replacement serviceable used tank.* Tanks were out there but not the one I needed.* A new carbon fiber tank may have been a possibility through Owen Bell but I was hesitant to do that and fortunately because of Dave, I did not need to seriously consider that.* Owen wanted close to $4000 and my old tank.

Anyway, my repaired tank is being installed as I type this and I'm hopeful this will put this issue to rest once and for all.* If not, I'll be visiting my friend Dave again.* Thank you Dave!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: