Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-28-11, 01:10 PM

jchronic is on a distinguished road
Repaint

Gentlemen (and any ladies present):

Can you give me some ballpark figures on what it should cost to strip and put a decent paint job on my 'D' model? Also, any recommendations for reliable paint shops in the east and midwest will be appreciated.

Regards-
Joe
(Capt Ahab)
Unread 03-28-11, 04:04 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
The first thing I would ask is, What kind of a paint job are you looking for? Are you keeping the airplane? There's lot's of horror stories to read about paint shops. One source is Aviation Consumer Magazine. They typically do a paint shop survey every couple years. Do you subscribe to AC mag? I had my '68 painted 2 years ago and was very happy with Sturgis Aviation. They are a sleeper shop that is known for the best work around. The advantage I had, which I think is paramount, was that I could visit the shop every day. Most of the horror stories you hear are situations where a guy drops off the plane and comes back 6 week later and tears begin to flow. Normally not tears of joy, miss communications between you and the paint shop. A lot can happen and go wrong in 6 weeks. That is why it's best to stick to something reputable that is close by or stand in line for the best shops out there that will do what you request.

Cost? I would say that today there are shops out there that will do it for $16-18K but if you want the better shops you're going to pay $20-22K. This would include some small extras that just need to be done. Maybe a control surface repair or some plastic parts replaced. That extra design that only Skymasters can require. Painting a Skymaster is totally different than painting say a C310 or Twin Comanche. Shops that have done it will know, shops that haven't will be in for a surprise. Might be part of the bad experience surprise or if you are there nursing them on (like I did when Sturgis painted their first, mine) it might work to your benefit. My cost was a little lower but Sturgis said that they would never paint another one for that price. My was in the upper bracket though. They did a fantastic job and I have had lots of people say that the job is superb on my aircraft.

http://www.337skymaster.com/messages...ighlight=paint

I have heard from a lot of people that Sky Harbour is tops. Here's some info

Sturgis Aviation Michigan
Danny - 616-659-3773

Sky Harbour - Goderich, Ontario, Canada N7A 4G7
Phone: 519 524-2165 or 1 800 558-5180
Fax: 519 524-8421
Email: MelissaColeman@skyharbour.com

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years

Last edited by hharney : 03-28-11 at 04:07 PM.
Unread 03-28-11, 10:15 PM

Thanks for the input, Herb. The airplane is a working bird right now and for the next few years, but I also fly it for personal use occasionally and will likely keep it awhile for personal use after I quit the survey work. Considering that along with resale presentability, I don't want a Macco special, but it also doesn't have to be a pristine concours job.

For visibility purposes on the survey, right now I'm contemplating just plain white all over, with day-glo orange on the top wing fuel tank access panels; the airplane is military camoflage at present; a previous owner wanted a simulated O2.

The Sturgis shop is a good lead and not too far away although monitoring the progress would be a little difficult. I'll keep it in mind while I see if any recommendations come in for something out here in the east.

Thanks again-
Joe
Unread 03-28-11, 10:35 PM

Gord Tessier is an unknown quantity at this point
I had a bad experience with the latter shop.
Unread 05-03-11, 03:37 PM

travis is an unknown quantity at this point
We did it ourselves... With the stripping, sanding, painting, stainless hardware and a few replacement panels we came at about 13k! That was the lowest price I was quoted for a sand and spray in white with one stripe! It is a complete pain though. So many bits and pieces and nooks and crannies... It took us 18 months to get back in the air and we had several struggles with our mechanic and IA. But in the end it was worth it to get the look we wanted and know that the work was done well and the aircraft is sound.
_travis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0547small.jpg
Views:	984
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	1244   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0554small.jpg
Views:	1006
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	1245  
Unread 05-03-11, 10:24 PM

Guy Paris is an unknown quantity at this point
aircraft painting....

Hi Joe,

I have been to this shop in Oxford Maine. Have seen some of there work, real nice. I don't know if they are still painting. Guy

http://www.oxfordaviation.com/index.html
Unread 05-05-11, 08:00 AM

Hello Guy -
Thanks for the tip; their name also came up from a couple of other contacts. So I actually got a quote from them last week - which sort of watered my eyes: $22+K. They're clearly a quality shop with a sterling reputation, but even with that, one of my neighbors had some issues with them over a job he had done there.

I'm still wrestling with the economics of the whole thing, not simply the out-of-pocket $$ but with the aspect of making that large an investment in something that clearly (to me) isn't going to gain - and most likely not even maintain - it's value going forward. The airplanes are not classics in the usual sense of the word (except maybe to us) and I see their resale value continuing to drop over time as they get harder (read 'more expensive') to keep in service....parts, the whole 100LL issue, etc.

Of course, there's the aesthetic (sp?)/pride-of-ownership aspect also. But mine is a working airplane and I have to weigh the overall economics of the repaint. Which also means I can't have the airplane down for 12-18 months while I struggle through a DIY job. Decisions, decisions.............

Joe
Unread 05-05-11, 09:58 AM
Owner 337H N337DC

Dale Campbell is an unknown quantity at this point
Paint Job

I had my 337H stripped and repainted at Smoke Town Airport in Pa. 10 years ago at a price of 12K. They did a beutiful job and it is 3 colors see my photo, and only took them 4 weeks to get my plane back. They did all the painting of O&N 210 aircraft conversions called the Eagle that were upgraded to Turbines. O & N in Northeastern Pa. now do there own painting. There is also a good paint shop at airport N79 in Northumberland, Pa. Stop in these shops if you are in Northeastern Pa. Good luck, Dale

Last edited by Dale Campbell : 05-05-11 at 10:01 AM.
Unread 05-05-11, 12:10 PM

Paint scheme.

Hi Joe,

Just maybe that O2 paint scheme doesn't look that bad. In the interim, wing tips tail tips

and a few other places in day glo. Just some thoughts. I think the shop here in Nashua

would do that.

Guy....
Unread 05-06-11, 06:01 PM

I'll check with them (Nashua) as part of the decision process, Guy. It's as convenient a location as I'll find; been to a couple of EAA workshops there. I can certainly live with the camo awhile longer if I have to, even though some prospective clients look a little funny at it at first glance.

Trust you got my e-mail re my maintenance provider...
Joe
Unread 05-07-11, 10:23 AM

Painting

Joe,

The shop is Leland Aero Service located on the south east end of the field. They do small painting such as airframe parts, flaps etc. along with all other services.

And yes on the latter remark and thanks.

Guy....
Unread 05-08-11, 08:36 AM

robw is on a distinguished road
Can recommend orange paint on all extremities. Saves a packet on hanger rash. Day-glo very expensive though. Straight orange almost as good. See example in pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4738s.jpg
Views:	934
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	1246  
Unread 05-09-11, 08:51 AM

Good idea. I've already painted the tank access panels on both wings day-glo orange getting the airplane ready for this year's survey season. The chap I bought the plane from was telling me about the fun he had with the plane in camo at fly-ins, but I said for what I'm using it for, the last thing I want is to be camoflaged - especially if I have to ditch.

Joe
Unread 05-09-11, 09:59 AM

robw is on a distinguished road
Well there are advantages as well. We ran an ex military plane in camo (not a 337) for many years and several times at strange airports we came back to find it all tanked up with fuel that had just been booked to the local air forces account.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: