Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 04-25-21, 09:24 AM

YankeeClipper is on a distinguished road
Suggested source for new prop?

Front propeller is a threaded-type in need of an overhaul, and IA says I should consider replacing with a new, (flange-type?) instead. Is this as simple as going to airpower inc and putting my 15k down and moving on, or are there options I should be looking into?

With respect to 3-blade: I'd love nothing more, but the only reading I've found says no mixing with a 2-blade, and I just don't have the budget for a second one (the rear blade is just fine). Also, I'm guessing that Aviation Enterprises is out of business--or on hiatus--anyway, because no amount of phone calls and messages has earned me a response.
Unread 04-25-21, 05:28 PM

Jhogan0101 is on a distinguished road
The props need to be compatible with each other 100%.
I would either overhaul the front or replace the front and rear as a pair. There are a couple props on ebay that could be useful for parts.
The parts for the threaded type are very hard to come by and many prop shops want nothing to do with them.
Treasure coast propellor has some parts and maybe able to overhaul your front prop. Good luck.
(888) 245-7767
Unread 04-25-21, 05:43 PM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
One year ago after my front prop on my 1973 C337G failed to pass an overhaul at Aircraft Propeller Service Inc., I tried without success to find a quality overhaul-able replacement front prop and just bit the bullet and bought a brand new front prop from Propeller Man in Florida (was actually a woman, Gayle Hustad (407)-932-2222). Gayle was super helpful and paying by check got me a good price compared to other sources. I paid $14,155.00 in February of 2020.

My rear prop will be sent to Tiffin Air, in Tiffin, OH in the next 2 weeks or so for overhaul. I am planning on it failing too. If it passes, BONUS but I'm not holding my breath. If it fails, I'll be calling Gayle for a new rear prop. McCauley prices usually go up in the first quarter of the year so I'm banking on two price increases since February 2020 as when I purchased the new front prop, the annual price increase had not been implemented yet.

Good Luck with your search. If you uncover anything interesting, please share as all my efforts in Feb 2020 were fruitless.

Thanks,

Ed
Unread 04-26-21, 12:57 AM

wslade2 is on a distinguished road
Any comments about MT props?
What about an IRAN for the prop?

Last edited by wslade2 : 04-26-21 at 01:04 AM.
Unread 04-26-21, 04:27 AM

My experience last year was unsuccessful regarding IRAN (inspect and repair as necessary) or a “reseal” of the prop. Both Aircraft Propeller Service, Inc and Tiffin Air would not do either of these on my front prop. It had been 30 years since overhaul on that prop with a “reseal” when the prop was 14 and 21 years old. My sense was last year that prop shops are refusing reseal or IRAN’s on any prop that is more than 10 years since it was last overhauled. Your mileage may vary but that is what I experienced. Keep us posted.

Thanks
Ed
Unread 04-26-21, 08:31 AM

TomM is on a distinguished road
Tiffin and the big shops dont want to deal with IRAN. In fact, I had Brad Newman who runs the place give me my check ride in my plane. He showed me the shop and all they do is full overhaul, really nothing else. Most if not all our old props will never be able to be fully overhauled. I had my prop resealed in August of last year at H and S propeller in Michigan. It also had a bad knurl and they have a network of places with parts so they were able to find a serviceable part. Had the prop back in 3 weeks. They will do a reseal if you want to try them out.
Unread 04-26-21, 08:56 AM

Thanks all. I'll follow up on how I do.

-Gray-
Unread 04-26-21, 09:13 AM

wslade2 is on a distinguished road
I was able to get an IRAN last year at a local shop, not one of the big names.
Although I was told to prepare for problems with parts going forward in particular for the rear prop .

Last edited by wslade2 : 04-26-21 at 09:17 AM.
Unread 04-26-21, 09:48 AM

Was yours a threaded style prop? Last two shops I called said no-thanks to an overhaul of that style, but one said they might buy the one I have toward an upgrade.
Unread 04-26-21, 02:18 PM

Talked to Gayle this afternoon. I was fortunate enough to have an option for an overhauled C306 prop (to replace my C59, threaded-type), which is said to not be a last run prop. This option was 10k, but I promised Gayle that I would only share this information along with the caveat that availability and price for such an option can change in an instant.

I do really wish I had the budget for two shiny new MT 3-blade props (which she can also source) but alas, this will have to suffice, and will do so nicely in any case.

For what it's worth, I found this shop to be immensely helpful and responsive, based on my one experience with them.
Unread 04-26-21, 06:26 PM

mshac is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Glad to hear you found what you were looking for , YC!

And thanks for the report on what sounds like a great prop shop.
Unread 06-29-21, 06:06 PM

An update on my rear prop.....

So I had a last minute change of plans regarding how I was going to proceed with my rear prop while my rear engine was being overhauled. I mentioned in a previous post above that my plan was to send my rear prop to Tiffin Air in Tiffin, OH. I changed that last minute as Tiffin emailed me prior to picking up my prop a contract agreement that they asked me to sign that covered conditions about pricing for the pick up and delivery based on mileage as well as pricing about covering conditions about the overhaul, or what I would be responsible for in the event I chose not to overhaul after the inspection, etc. The contract was reasonable however it promptly brought back the nightmare of the experience I had with my front prop the previous year with Aircraft Propeller Service here in northern Illinois.

A short review is that that prop failed and it cost me $600 to find that out. Well, my front and rear props lived the exact same lives so I was loathed to paying at least that much again and possibly more to find out the rear prop was also junk, which I was figuring it was. I figured I can throw the prop in the garbage myself for free. Why pay someone to do that for me. Tiffin did offer me the lowest price I found for simply buying another brand new prop outright as I did for the front the previous year. I had made up my mind to not even bother with my old rear prop and I was just going to order a new rear prop.

The last minute change occurred because of TomM's post above and positive reference to H&S Propeller in White Lake, MI. I thought what the heck, let's just give them a call and see what they say. I had no expectation that it was going to change my mind when I called.

I accidentally called them at quitting time about 5:02pm eastern neglecting to consider the time difference between Chicago area (central) and White Lake, MI. As Bryan Mathews promptly answered my call, I had realized what I had just done. I offered immediately to Bryan to simply call back the next morning but he would not have any of that. He proceeded to spend about the next 20 minutes or so past quitting time answering not only my questions but he had many questions for me about what all happened with my front prop the previous year. Suffice it to say his customer service was by far the best and he just gave me a solid feeling that he wanted to help. Bottom line was that I explained to him that I was not interested in investing money to find out my old prop was junk. I understand it is labor but ugh, that just stinks.

Bryan told me after learning that corrosion doomed my front prop the previous year that he felt it was unlikely that would be the case with my rear. He obviously could not give me 100% on that but learning the history of my plane and how it lives, he felt any corrosion found could most likely be repaired as there are factory approved methods to deal with this that many shops just choose not to. H&S chooses to go the extra mile to save a prop if they can. Additionally, he told me if my prop failed and I bought the new prop through him, the inspection cost of the old prop would be waived provided I let them keep the old prop. His price quote for a new prop, though not quite as low as Tiffin, was within $250, so I decided $250 was worth the risk after Bryan convinced me that not looking at my old prop would likely be a mistake.

Well, as it turned out my prop passed and was overhauled. Bryan also felt it likely could pass one more overhaul barring any significant blade damage during this upcoming run. So yay! The price for the overhaul was less than $3300.00. I'll never know but I wish I would have known about H&S Propeller last year. It would be interesting to know how that would have turned out with my front prop.

To Tiffin's credit, Mike Baird there who I met last summer did credit me $1000.00 towards my account there for my old front prop indicating that in his judgement the blades were still serviceable in spite of Aircraft Propeller's opinion that they were not. Mike did say the hub was not serviceable however. Clearly there is subjectivity here when it comes to corrosion. I guess in a perfect world there would not be but obviously the world is not perfect. I realized my credit with Tiffin when they overhauled my governor.

Anyway, high marks to H&S as I highly recommend them. Thank you to Bryan Mathews for the advice and thank you to TomM for your post and positive reference. I hope to flying in about a month after my engine is returned.
Unread 06-29-21, 07:28 PM

Ed,

Was this for a c61 prop, or a c307?

-Gray-
Unread 06-29-21, 07:32 PM

D2AF34C307A, taken directly from my invoice.....
Unread 06-30-21, 11:27 AM

mshac is on a distinguished road
Glad to hear a story with a happy ending!

For those in the south central area, Byam Prop at Meacham field in Fort Worth will go the extra mile to save a prop. Very old school, been in business for almost 40 years. They are one of the few remaining shops that will service Beech electric props. They straighten bent blades too.

I recommend Byam Prop to anyone, and you can fly in directly to drop off your prop (if you've got a spare plane).