Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 01-19-21, 01:44 PM

cessnadriver is on a distinguished road
Red face Navomatic 400

Hello ALL.
I was sent replies about shops that still work on the 400 auto pilot. I deleted them by mistake. Please reply again. I did contacted Autopilot Central in Tulsa. They replied saying they no longer supported the 400?? They could bench check mine but if parts are needed they may not be available. So that why I need other shops information. The replies I received the other day mentioned a shop in Illinois or Indiana? Which are closer that Tulsa.
Thanks.
Regards.
BILLS
'65 C337 owner, pilot and A&P
Unread 01-19-21, 09:13 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
http://www.337skymaster.com/messages...ead.php?t=4887

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 04-23-21, 03:44 PM

Thumbs down 1965 model 400 navomatic-HELP, HELP, HELP

TO ALL.
Hello I've sent my 1965 model 400 Navomatic to an auto-pilot shop for repair. HERE'S the thing. My servo (actuators) are shot!! I'm asking if anyone has older model servos that they are willing to sell, that maybe held on to when they had their 400 replaced with newer auto-pilots? I'm looking for PA 511A part numbers 29510-0001 and 29510-0401! I appreciate your attention.
Regards,
BILLS
'65 C337, owner, pilot, A&P
Unread 04-23-21, 04:15 PM

TomM is on a distinguished road
Bill:

I will do you one better. I just removed my straight 400 including the computer, controller and servos and will give you the servos - or everything for that matter. The system worked but hunted really bad. Even if they dont work properly, maybe between all of them they would have the parts to make them work???

I will check the part numbers, but since mine is a '66 I am assuming they are the same items.

Send me a pm with your address and I will package them up over the weekend and ship them off to you. Let me know if you just want the servos or if you want everything.
Unread 04-23-21, 11:28 PM

wslade2 is on a distinguished road
Just curious. What autopilot shop? Autopilots central? What’s the definition of “shot”? (Details) Mine are very stiff with a lot of resistance....

If they can’t service the servos anymore, forces the decision about keeping current cessna 400 system vs moving on.

Last edited by wslade2 : 04-23-21 at 11:32 PM.
Unread 04-24-21, 10:07 AM

Smile Navomatic 400

WSLADE2.
The shop is Mayday autopilot/avionics, Grand Rapids, MI. SHOT means the drive transistors? and both electric motors have to be send out for rebuild at $2500-$2800 each! Also not really related both AI and DG have to be overhauled. The shop was quoting Mid-continent about $5500 for those, although I found a shop, basically across the street from Mid-continent that will overhaul both for about $1200 AQI is the name. I had Mayday send the instruments to AQI. What started this whole ordeal, I had sent Mayday my original 400 and a newer 400(not sure the year-but around a 1967 model) that I bought from a SOAPA member. The tech called me yesterday and told me that the two 400 I sent him are not compatible, hoping he could use parts from both to build-up one. I told him that Autopilot Central had quoted me $1700 each for the servo rebuild, and he's going to call them on Monday? A member just wrote to tell me he removed his 400 and is willing to GIVE me his components, arranging shipping as we speak!!! As for moving on that's your decision, but I'm tell you if your 400 is working, I'D KEEP IT, until the TRU-TRAC generation comes to Skymaster!
Hope this info helps.
Regards, BILLS

Last edited by cessnadriver : 04-24-21 at 10:11 AM.
Unread 04-25-21, 08:49 AM

wslade2 is on a distinguished road
Thank you!! That is extremely helpful information. My control head (resolver) won't allow the course direction to turn and just turning on the autopilot makes it go immediately into 30 degree bank. My servos were almost locking my controls and had to disconnect them to give the controls safe movement without wrestling them. So I know my servos and control head need overhaul (Autopilots Central wasn't sure they could do anything with control head when I spoke to them over phone), and might as well count on panel instruments overhaul. Then heaven forbid central computer work and chasing wiring. That's a big chunk of a new system, specifically S-tec. 337 not certified on the new garmin but could request and wait. Or wait for others as you mentioned.
The good news you report is sounds like service is still available for the straight 400. I did buy a system out of a 310 that has a lot of similar parts.
Unread 04-25-21, 09:26 AM

Learjetter is on a distinguished road
STEC 55x

Data point: spring 2021: Major Florida avionics shop quoted me $39,000 to install STEC 55x with auto trim.
Unread 04-25-21, 09:58 AM

Dr.Dan is on a distinguished road
We need to keep hounding Garmin for the gfc500.
Please garmin?
Unread 04-25-21, 11:40 AM

YankeeClipper is on a distinguished road
"We need to keep hounding Garmin for the gfc500.
Please garmin?"

Aye.
Unread 04-26-21, 12:09 PM

JAG is on a distinguished road
Garmin

About every 6 months I send Garmin a note. I keep see them developing STC's for aircraft types and fleets smaller and less expensive than ours - and I make sure I point this out. If people keep registering their interest for their new digital APs, we may get some action.

Jeff
Unread 04-26-21, 01:32 PM

YankeeClipper is on a distinguished road
Yeah. I'm probably overdue to send them a nag myself.
Unread 05-01-21, 07:41 AM

patrolpilot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjetter View Post
Data point: spring 2021: Major Florida avionics shop quoted me $39,000 to install STEC 55x with auto trim.
That is much the same from the two independent shops I've checked with.

Garmin, my avionics guy, asked his Garmin friend and was told the C337 wasn't going to happen, not enough airframes to justify the certification expense.
Unread 05-05-21, 03:54 AM

chrisb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeClipper View Post
"We need to keep hounding Garmin for the gfc500.
Please garmin?"

Aye.
I'm hounding :-)
Along with the EIS TXI
Unread 05-09-21, 04:35 PM

navomatic 400

WSLADE2.
An update, I had to replace my AI and DG instruments due to a 4-6 week back-order on the bearings, The shop offered new instruments, and yes compatible replacements for the 400 autopilot, for $300 over the overhaul! Still having servo problems, having gifted servos from a SOAPA member checked by Mayday Avionics. If these don't work I'll have to go with (hopefully) serviceable servos from Preferred Airparts at $1700 for both. Or the $2500-$2800 rebuild per servo? I thought I found a new autopilot, S-Tech 3100, but it's not authorized for the C337! I'll keep you updated, and thanks for your support.
Regards.
BILLS