Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 05-14-04, 09:56 AM
Peyton

Peyton is an unknown quantity at this point
Question portable tug/tow for Skymaster

Looks like I am about to be in the market for a new or used tugger to get my Skymaster in and out of the hanger.

What do you use? What works and more importantly what have you had that did not work? Has anyone used or seen the battery powered ones in use? Where is best the place to buy? Anyone know of a good used one for sale?

Unread 05-14-04, 01:46 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
Peyton,

I have a PowerTow EZ 40 that I used to pull my Skymaster in and out for 7 years. It is gas powered, and works very well. It has a Tecumsah gas engine that starts first pull almost every time (really, it is much better than any lawn mower engine I have ever had). If I needed another, I would buy this, they support it well (needed a cable which broke once in seven years).

I would sell you mine, as I am not using it now (I start it once a month anyway), but I'd have to get it disassembled and crated to get it SC, and that would be more trouble than it is worth I think. New ones are $850...

I'm other folks use other things they like. I am not a fan of the electric ones, I had one before that we used for our T182RG, and I found keep the cord out of the way a pain in the butt. It was also a weak puller, in relation to the one I have now. But I think mine was cheapie (a partner bought it), and maybe there are better electric models.

It uses 2 gallons every 3 months, so fueling it is irrelevent. I use 100LL in it.

Kevin
Unread 05-14-04, 04:17 PM
A&P/IA

FRED-E is an unknown quantity at this point
Tuggs

I have been using a electric golf cart for about 6 years, it has worked very well. I have even used it on a Cessna Sitation. I have just purchased a 2001 EZGO for $ 1200. It is also very handy to ride around the airport. BTW it does fit under the Skymaster wing.
Fred N358
Unread 05-14-04, 06:12 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
Fred,

What do you use as a towbar for your golf cart? And I assume the "EZGO" your referred to is the name of your golf cart, correct?

Thanks,

Kevin
Unread 05-14-04, 07:20 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
There is an gas pwered tug for sale on ebay.

TUG
Unread 05-14-04, 11:41 PM

Pat Schmitz is an unknown quantity at this point
Funny you should ask that!!

I just built my own last week... Decided to make a 12v unit that c an push/pull the 337 out. Had to work on the sproket size a little to get it just right - Used an old lawnmower tire/rim, and an electric motor from a boat lift winch...

Got about as much in the new battery as the rest of the whole unit.. It was a fun project!

Figured I could always put a 2nd battery on it and use it to jump the plane too (28v) and disconnect it for 12v tug operations..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_3951.jpg (250.7 KB, 1053 views)