Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 01-22-20, 08:56 PM

dan1000 is on a distinguished road
I had one installed on N70S. The shop charged me 2 hours for the installation, including doing all the paperwork, etc. I am extremely pleased with mine.

Note the limitation to flying below FL180, since the current TailBeacon is only 978MHz, not 1090ES. But uAvionix has announced a 1090ES version (but not a release date). When that comes along, I may swap mine out for one of those, and sell my current one. Not in any hurry to do so though, I rarely fly above 17,500.

Dan
Unread 01-22-20, 09:08 PM

Skymaster337B is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by edasmus View Post
When I was deciding the ADS-B Out solution for my C337G, I specifically emailed uAvionix with a photo of my tail arrangement of my SkyMaster and the view of the transponder antenna and their response was it would work just fine with TailBeacon. The TailBeacon was not available yet but I was waiting for it.

I then asked uAvionix if I could install a SkyBeacon inside the plastic housing of the wingtip as shown in my photos above. As you can see, this is what I elected to do which uAvionix told me would work fine too. They were correct. I have had no issues in 65 hours of flying with it. I did apply the offset through the SkyBeacon AP. Super easy to do. I would assume there is a similar offset with the TailBeacon AP but I cannot speak from experience on this.

It was slightly more labor going the wing tip route but TailBeacon was not out yet at the time and my plane was down for maintenance so I was eager. In the end, to do it over, I would stay with the wing tip option for a few reasons that benefited me but may not you.

Having the unit protected behind plastic seemed a plus but certainly not a requirement. It seemed to offer a a tiny bit of security in that effort to be stolon would be greater though this really isn't of serious concern as without passwords, these unit seemly are useless to anyone up to no good. The largest advantage to me was the option to utilize the strobe light in the future should it become necessary or convenient. My strobe lights are independent however the system is old and I have hunted for parts replacement in the past to keep the system up and running. The uAvionix strobe light would be a convenient alternative if a future need is to arise.

I suggest you email uAvionix yourself to confirm TailBeacon is an option for C337. They were always quick to respond to my questions.

Good Luck. I'm quite certain you will be satisfied.

What is an “offset through the Skybeacon AP”?
Unread 01-23-20, 05:53 PM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
Smile

The "offset" is (going from memory here) configuring the system through the AP on your phone that tells the unit where on the airplane it is located relative to the longitudinal axis of the aircraft and relative to the nose of the aircraft. So on my airplane the SkyBeacon being on the wingtip was about 18 feet offset from the longitudinal axis and about 8 feet aft of the nose. I do not have the exact numbers of what I used but hopefully you get the idea. I guess the beacon accounts for that offset when transmitting it's position. Seems a little crazy to me that that level of accuracy is needed. I figure if the beacon is transmitting from anywhere attached to the airplane, that ought to do it terms of accuracy but what I know?

It is very easy to do so I simply did what I was told via the instructions provided by uAvionix.

If that step was skipped, it is difficult for me to imagine any negative consequence but again, what do I know?
Unread 01-23-20, 11:34 PM

loy53 is on a distinguished road
sky beacon

I installed a tail light sky beacon last month in my 65 skymaster
very easy to install & uAvionix was very helpful with some assistance
that I needed.

Howard
Unread 01-27-20, 08:57 AM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cessnadriver View Post
The Garmin 82 is an UAT and NOT 1090 which has the altitude limit of 18,000 ft, can't be flown in any foreign country, to include Canada, Mexico and the islands. Hope this helps. Regards, BILLS
Not sure what islands you are referring to but as of now the popular Bahamas Islands DO NOT require ADS-b. Mexico and Canada require 1090 ES (not 978UAT)

BTW, 4 Skymasters registered to do the Bahamas Flying Adventure this year. We will be departing March 22 for the Exumas and have 16 airplanes total going.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 01-27-20, 09:25 AM

dan1000 is on a distinguished road
Don't forget - Canada's timing is different

The first ADS-B deadline in Canada is January 1, 2021. Until then, no ADS-B is required anywhere in Canada.

Thereafter, until January 1, 2022, ADS-B is only required in Canada in Class A airspace, which is all at or above 18,000 feet (and starts even higher in the far north, above 72 degrees latitude).

After January 1, 2022, ADS-B is required in Canada in Class A and B airspace, and it must be the 1090ES ADS-B and have antenna diversity (antenna on both top and bottom of aircraft).

Here's a good summary for those who want to read more.

Hope this helps those flying into Canada

Dan

Last edited by dan1000 : 01-27-20 at 01:18 PM.