Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 11-05-08, 10:01 PM

gkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile And she's changing to glass

It all started last month somewhere on my way to Edmonton, when ATC told me they could not see me on the radar any more. I recycled my transponder, idented and still they could not identify me. Then I smacked the transponder (my friend calls it a callibrating tap) and we were back on the radar. Then, the next day, I lost transmission capabilities on com #1. Then a week later while we were flying a turbulent patch, we smelled electrical smoke and the autopilot kicked off line. Granted, the Silver Crown centre stack I have has been in this plane for a good 25 years or more, so it was time. High time.

I took the plunge in a big way. I got GKEY ferried over to Victoria Avionics and we started talking new units over the phone. My new centre stack will now be (from top to bottom): Garmin 437 audio panel, Garmin 530W, SL30 NavCom, S-Tec 55 (currently in the stack), DME (currently in stack), Garmin GTX 330 S transponder, ADF (currently in stack). The S-Tec 55 has been sent back to the factory to see what went wrong and if it can be repaired, otherwise we buy a 55x.

I am also removing the left and right panel and have new ones cut. The left one is planned and configured to take the Aspen PFD and MFD's. I am throwing out almost all of the current steam gauges and will install the 2" Mid-Continent back-up trio gauges. The right panel will house the new Xerion AuRACLE 2120 engine monitor, and because of all the new electronics I'll have to have a second breaker box. This will be made electrolumiscent and dimmable, and will house all the avionics related breakers.

So far I am over $50K just on hardware alone, but I realize that. To me it is a favor returned to the best girlfriend I've ever had - beloved my 337G.
Unread 11-06-08, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Congratulations. Send pictures, not only when it's all in, but while in progress.

Ernie
Unread 11-06-08, 08:04 PM

Yes, I will. My avionics mechanic is equally pumped about this install - many units going in there that he has never installed before. He is doing a lot of research (not on my account, fortunately!) on installing these new avionics, like the Aspen and the AuRACLE 2120.

He has taken over 100 pics so far and burnt them on a CD. He wanted to have a few pics himself to remind him how it was done, should he encounter another 337 with similar installs in the future.

The "clean-up" process has been going very well, and they are almost done with it. There was a ton of excess wire in the panel, because the previous guy did not remove the old wires 20+ years ago when the Silver Crown was installed. He merely snipped the connectors and left the bundles of wire behind, and laid new wires for the Silver Crown stack. All of the removed excess wire after the "clean-up wieghed 27 lbs!!

Don't know if I mentioned it before, but I am also at the same time replacing my windscreen, and fresh air intake grills, grommets, ducts etc. And adding an avionics fan.

Pics (not all, I promise!) to follow as soon as I get the CD.
Unread 11-06-08, 10:31 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Jakes, I am starting my interior refurb next week and I am seriously considering a windscreen replacement. Can you give me any details on your install and procurement?

http://www.insightavionics.com/tf500.htm

Has anyone had experience with these fuel flow transducers? You can tie them into the GPS system for fuel flow reference, seems like an easy way to go if you have the GPS on board already. I know that Riley always used Insight Gem Graphic Engine Monitors. I don't see them around very often or just don't remember seeing them. Seems like JPI and some of the others are more prevalent. The Strike Finder has been around for a long time.

I see Jakes is jumping into the Xerion unit. Has anyone installed this yet? Is it approved for C337's? There are a couple guys with the Aspen already, and that sounds very promising.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years

Last edited by hharney : 11-06-08 at 10:34 PM.
Unread 11-06-08, 11:11 PM

Herb,

I don't know much about what it takes to install the windshield, but here's the quote I have for the job:

Replacement of windshield:
LABOUR: 12 hours X (Rate/h) $76.00, Total = $912.00
WINDSHIELD: $622.00
HARDWARE: $50.00
FREIGHT: $300.00

TOTAL: $1,884.00

Regarding the Xerion AuRACLE 2120, I really would like to think that I am the reason the 337's are on the list for STC's. When I first contacted Eric Hathaway, Vice-President of Xerion, I was the first to enquire about that for a 337. At that time they did not consider certain models at all, but he promised me if I bought a unit he would make sure that the 336's and 337's would be on the list. And they are. At the time I bought my unit, mine was order #6 (for all makes & models), and the very first one from Canada.

The original date for delivery was in August 2008, but then they ran into some hiccups with the certification. In his last email to me he indicated that the 2120 would be ready to go approximately in Spring 2009. I have seen this monitor in real-life action, and I can tell you, I cannot wait.

The 2120 also comunicates with the 530W, so one can also access your FF information on the 530W. It is an automatic "crossfill".

Last edited by gkey : 11-06-08 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Adding information
Unread 11-06-08, 11:22 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Yeah I asked them about STC for Skymaster at the OSH booth this year and they were really snobbish about the whole thing. It was a real turn off for me. Acted like they didn't want to give me the time of day. The did say that I would have to contact Eric because he was not at the booth at the time. They were scheduled to present their info at the SOAPA meeting in Kalamazoo but bugged out at the last minute. I not real impressed with their bedside manner at this point. It does look like a nice unit. It's got to be a lot of labor to install with all the systems though.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 11-06-08, 11:41 PM
Administrator

Herb, several points about the windshield. First, you can buy it from the manufacturer, LP Aero (find the P/N for your Skymaster at http://www.lpaero.com/cgi-bin/Mfr_Ma...ster&Model=337 ). Second, do a Search and you'll find several lengthy messages with important tips. Finally, it is indeed a 12 hr job, but it's really a 6-hour, 2-person job, and you could be the 2nd person. What I mean is that one person mostly holds one end of the windshield as the installer maneuvers it around. My mechanic and I did it together, and he had never done it before. We followed the instructions carefully and, as suggested in those instructions, called LP Aero several times when we had trouble; they were incredibly helpful.

Ernie
Unread 11-07-08, 11:30 PM

rhurt is on a distinguished road
The windshield center post is removed from my '66. Taking it out may save some time in the install.

We put a JPI 450 in for $1,300 and it talks to the 530 perfectly. The Aspen will not drive the Navomatic 400 though. We're going to try upgrading it to a 400A (about $1,000).
Unread 11-08-08, 12:54 AM
Administrator

Do not take out the center post without the structural-strengthening STC from RT Aerospace ( www.rtaerospace.com/prices.htm ). Aside from being illegal, my recollection is that removal of the center post can result in structural failure, loss of the windshield and an increase in drag of such magnitude that the aircraft cannot maintain altitude.

Ernie
Unread 11-10-08, 07:49 PM

This is a picture of the panel structure. Most of the braces and brackets are either corroded or broken. Also, the previous install did not go too well, and they had to cut away some of the supporting structure to make the centre stack fit (a big no-no!).

My mechanic did not want to remove and rebuild the panel structure, as this would imply tampering with the airframe structure. Instead, he found a "radio rack" with a STC specifically for Skymasters that can be installed without tampering with the existing structure. The beauty is that it will not only correct things, but also make the panel sturdier than ever before.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	phpJ9cLw3PM.jpg
Views:	1205
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	660  
Unread 11-10-08, 07:53 PM

During the "clean-up" phase, they removed just over 27 lbs of wire that was just left behind with the previous avionics install. I flew around with 27 lbs of dead weight!!
This picture shows the heap of wire that was left over AFTER they already filled an apple box with wires, connectors etc.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	phpZB0KYtPM.jpg
Views:	1187
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	661  

Last edited by gkey : 11-10-08 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Spelling (again)
Unread 11-10-08, 08:02 PM

Just got word back on my S-Tec 55. The good news is that I do not need to buy a new A/P; they could fix mine. (Yahoo!!).

But they did find about half a dozen problems. I still have to find out what these problems were exactly, but one was that I fried the resistors on the ALT and pitch during a very turbulent flight (will NEVER do that again!). I understand they loaded it with a newer version software as well. Oh, and they cleaned up the LCD display.

Cost? $600. What a relief...
Unread 11-12-08, 01:08 PM

rmorris is an unknown quantity at this point
Navomatic & windshield post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhurt View Post
The windshield center post is removed from my '66. Taking it out may save some time in the install.

We put a JPI 450 in for $1,300 and it talks to the 530 perfectly. The Aspen will not drive the Navomatic 400 though. We're going to try upgrading it to a 400A (about $1,000).
In my T337C, I am also interested in upgrading from a Navomatic 400 to a 400A (or B), but haven't had any luck finding info on it (cost or process)....where did you find out it's a $1K and how do you do it?

On the windshield post being removed...what STC did you use. I want to replace my windshield soon, and would love to remove the post (legally and safely of course).

-Robert
rmorris@agsi.us
________
Penny Stocks To Watch

Last edited by rmorris : 03-12-11 at 11:59 AM.
Unread 11-13-08, 08:52 PM

rhurt is on a distinguished road
The autopilot is not changed out yet, but is scheduled for next week. Supposedly the head and computer can be changed and maybe an electric trim added to complete the install. The electric trim will be the problem.

Chad at Cumberland Avionics in Nashville is doing the install. I believe he got technical help from Autopilots Central. He had some old 400A parts hanging around and sent them to A. C. for inspection and tagging.

I'm planning to take it to Naples, FL at the end of next week, and I'm hoping the thing will shoot hands off approaches with the 530w, Aspen GPSS and 400A, just like my dad's plane does with the s-tec. I'm not holding my breath, but I think the thing can be sorted out eventually. We'll see.

The windshield was done before I bought into the plane, so I'll have to check the STC, but it was probably RT aerospace.
Unread 11-15-08, 03:47 AM

I got some pics today from the shop, as they started with the dry fitting of avionics and instruments. The CAD program was a little optimistic with real estate on the panel, so they cut a plywood panel and did it the old way.

In this picture the ADF and attitude gyro were in the wrong positions - they should be positioned vice versa. Left of the Aspen comes the ASI, and to the right of the Aspen comes the ALT. They will be removed as soon as the Aspen MFD's become available, which will then be installed in their places.

For back-up instruments we will place 2" miniature ALT and ASI in the far left corner, one above the other. The big attitude indicator will remain. The syncophaser needle will be placed in its usual spot, in the left upper corner of the panel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	php0c8WxWAM.jpg
Views:	1216
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	664