Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 01-19-21, 01:44 PM

cessnadriver is on a distinguished road
Red face Navomatic 400

Hello ALL.
I was sent replies about shops that still work on the 400 auto pilot. I deleted them by mistake. Please reply again. I did contacted Autopilot Central in Tulsa. They replied saying they no longer supported the 400?? They could bench check mine but if parts are needed they may not be available. So that why I need other shops information. The replies I received the other day mentioned a shop in Illinois or Indiana? Which are closer that Tulsa.
Thanks.
Regards.
BILLS
'65 C337 owner, pilot and A&P
Unread 01-19-21, 09:13 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
http://www.337skymaster.com/messages...ead.php?t=4887

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 04-23-21, 03:44 PM

Thumbs down 1965 model 400 navomatic-HELP, HELP, HELP

TO ALL.
Hello I've sent my 1965 model 400 Navomatic to an auto-pilot shop for repair. HERE'S the thing. My servo (actuators) are shot!! I'm asking if anyone has older model servos that they are willing to sell, that maybe held on to when they had their 400 replaced with newer auto-pilots? I'm looking for PA 511A part numbers 29510-0001 and 29510-0401! I appreciate your attention.
Regards,
BILLS
'65 C337, owner, pilot, A&P
Unread 04-23-21, 04:15 PM

TomM is on a distinguished road
Bill:

I will do you one better. I just removed my straight 400 including the computer, controller and servos and will give you the servos - or everything for that matter. The system worked but hunted really bad. Even if they dont work properly, maybe between all of them they would have the parts to make them work???

I will check the part numbers, but since mine is a '66 I am assuming they are the same items.

Send me a pm with your address and I will package them up over the weekend and ship them off to you. Let me know if you just want the servos or if you want everything.
Unread 04-23-21, 11:28 PM

wslade2 is on a distinguished road
Just curious. What autopilot shop? Autopilots central? What’s the definition of “shot”? (Details) Mine are very stiff with a lot of resistance....

If they can’t service the servos anymore, forces the decision about keeping current cessna 400 system vs moving on.

Last edited by wslade2 : 04-23-21 at 11:32 PM.
Unread 04-24-21, 10:07 AM

Smile Navomatic 400

WSLADE2.
The shop is Mayday autopilot/avionics, Grand Rapids, MI. SHOT means the drive transistors? and both electric motors have to be send out for rebuild at $2500-$2800 each! Also not really related both AI and DG have to be overhauled. The shop was quoting Mid-continent about $5500 for those, although I found a shop, basically across the street from Mid-continent that will overhaul both for about $1200 AQI is the name. I had Mayday send the instruments to AQI. What started this whole ordeal, I had sent Mayday my original 400 and a newer 400(not sure the year-but around a 1967 model) that I bought from a SOAPA member. The tech called me yesterday and told me that the two 400 I sent him are not compatible, hoping he could use parts from both to build-up one. I told him that Autopilot Central had quoted me $1700 each for the servo rebuild, and he's going to call them on Monday? A member just wrote to tell me he removed his 400 and is willing to GIVE me his components, arranging shipping as we speak!!! As for moving on that's your decision, but I'm tell you if your 400 is working, I'D KEEP IT, until the TRU-TRAC generation comes to Skymaster!
Hope this info helps.
Regards, BILLS

Last edited by cessnadriver : 04-24-21 at 10:11 AM.
Unread 06-06-21, 11:07 AM

Smile Navomatic 400

Hello ALL.
Update on my navomatic 400 challenges. Was called by the Mayday Avionics, which is repairing my 400, saying the autopilot was fixed!!! YEA!! Shipping it out next week. I'D LIKE TO PUBLICLY THANK TOM M FOR DONATING his servos, which was the major hang-up for repairing my system. Although it took quite a while to get my autopilot fixed I'm finally on the path to re-installing my system. I think I have all the cabling the previous owner CUT OUT so I'm soldiering them back together. I have to wait till I have the autopilot components to finish that process. The shop charged a reasonable price for the repairs, $2300. I figure about another $1000 for the flight test/rigging. I did have to purchase new AI and DG due to a back order of the bearings for those instruments. AQI avionics which I sent the instruments to offered to sell me NEW instruments for $1500 which is only $300 over the cost of the overhaul. FYI, Mid-Continent quoted $5100 to overhaul the instruments. The new AI is color coded with 5 degree pitch increments. I'm planning on installing a G5 digital AI in my six pack and install the new steam gauge AI, which drives the 400, on the right panel.
Thanks again, Tom M.
Regards.
BILLS
Unread 06-07-21, 08:14 AM

TomM is on a distinguished road
That is great! They were headed for the landfill, so I am glad you were able to use them. Seems like a reasonable cost to get the system up and running. On our own we are of limited resources, but a group like this makes owning these planes much more bearable.