Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 08-16-11, 11:16 AM

ipasgas1 is on a distinguished road
Rising insurance costs

After speaking with my insurance provider, I am considering other aircraft options for my next purchase. Because of the aging fleet, the premiums are rising. I am told I can get into a more expensive newer twin for the same price even though most all my twin time is in the 337. I like the high wing so am looking at the Partenavia P68C as one option...anyone have any experience with them? I have a great opportunity on a 1981 Beech Duchess with newer engines and a great panel for the same price as a comparably equipped Skymaster though the useful load would be greatly diminished. The Seminole is the other option though I lean towards the Beech due to two doors. Any advice would be appreciated.
Dan
Unread 08-16-11, 07:30 PM

Skymaster337B is an unknown quantity at this point
Have you tried talking direct with AVEMCO? I price them out every year, and are always the lowest with no hidden gotchas.

As far as the Piper Seminal. It flys nice until you lose an engine...it will not climb.
Unread 08-22-11, 01:44 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Underwriters

Any insurance agency you talk to will go to one of the 4-5 aviation underwriters. The first call will result in all the underwriters setting a rate, and then no matter what agency you call, it will be the same result.

The one difference is Avemco, which does not use agents. Your agent can't call them for you. As a result, you can get an independent quote from them.

The P-68 looks cool. I have sat in them, they are comfortable, but that is the extent of my knowledge.
Unread 08-28-11, 02:55 PM

Guy Paris is an unknown quantity at this point
Aviation Insurance

Try "Aviation Solutions"

Monica Harris-King (877-353-1047)

monicaking@aviationsolutions.aero

www.aviationsolutions.com

Guy the old 72 driver....
Unread 09-25-11, 05:58 PM

sns3guppy is on a distinguished road
Wow. You really haven't flown many other aircraft, have you?

If the original poster is interested in other airplanes, by all means, look around. The Seneca II and the later models of the Cessna 310 have some of the best single engine performance and service ceilings of any of the piston light twins.

Twin Commanders are comfortable, have excellent engine out handling characteristics, and are nice flyers.

Most light piston twins have poor single engine performance. The Skymaster is no different. It's a light twin. Various other light twins will easily exceed it's single engine performance, and it's multi engine performance.

It comes down to economics and preference, then. If the original poster is considering something else, why not? If something else is more economical for him or her, then absolutely why not?
Unread 09-27-11, 06:14 PM

rhurt is on a distinguished road
A turbocharged skymaster does more than 17,000' on one engine.
Unread 09-27-11, 08:13 PM

JeffAxel is an unknown quantity at this point
The P-Skymaster single engine service ceiling is 18,300, and that beats almost any other piston twin I can think of, FWIW. The climb gradient of the P-Skymaster is better than most other light twins too, especially if the engine you loose is the front one. While the accident stats on Skymasters aren't very good in comparison to other light twins, if I were going to loose an engine in a piston twin, I would rather be in a T or P-Skymaster than any other piston twin. YMMV.