Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 08-02-08, 10:15 AM

cessna02337 is an unknown quantity at this point
Single Engine Procedures / Failure Training

Just a quick question for the group. Has anyone conducted any simulated training flights/procedures regarding loss of an engine at takeoff and continue the takeoff assuming the simulated failure happens at a time just after liftoff/rotation and the performance is such continued flight is possible.

I assume the group's view piont / procedures would not to raise the gear because of the increased drag issue with the doors for aircraft that do not have the modification....Also, is there a more critical engine as it relates to CG impact if you were to lose power as I have read from others there is a noticeable handling characteristic as it relates to pitch / CG.

Thanks in advance, T.

O-2A

Last edited by cessna02337 : 08-02-08 at 10:36 AM. Reason: spelling in header
Unread 08-07-08, 06:22 PM

gkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine failure simulation

This is what I can remember from my PTR's: Depending on where you are in your flight path (anywhere between departure and arrival), as well as what altitude you have, you would like to (1) keep the gear down, or (2) keep them UP if they are already up, and (3) after deciding on your landing strip (or street or field) get them down when you still have some speed that can be sacrificed (because you WILL loose 10-15 kts) and you know you're going to make it to your landing area. Don't wait too long though - I find the slower you move (single engine operation) the bigger the impact will be on your loss of airspeed. The more altitude you have, the better for you. You could point the nose down to make up for lowering the gear. It also helps to make a mental note of exactly how long it takes your particular bird to extend its gear and lock in down position. In mine it takes just over 20 seconds.

If I had to choose one engine to carry me through to safe landing, I would choose the rear one. I found that if only the rear engine is driving, the plane behaves like a pregnant 210 but still very much flyable, but if the front one is driving it behaves like a hopelessly overloaded 182 and can barely keep altitude, let along climb even 50 fpm. Don't think you will be able to sustain flight - start looking for a parking spot.

Thank you for this posting - it reminded me I have not done this procedure in over a year!

Last edited by gkey : 08-07-08 at 06:33 PM.
Unread 08-09-08, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
I think that you will find a lot of responses on this subject if you do a Search in the Message Board. In a "StickY" message that remains near the top of the Board, entitled "General Skymaster Info & Tips For Buyers", we remind users that they are likely to get faster response and far more information by doing a Search compared to posting a question. Bottom line, your answer -- probably with some varying views -- is often already here.

Ernie
Unread 08-25-08, 12:58 AM

Paul Sharp is an unknown quantity at this point
(Don't forget that a great many planes don't have dual hydraulic pumps, so if you lose the engine with the single pump, you aren't going to move the gear any direction at all in any hurry.)