Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 09-07-03, 11:41 PM

travis is an unknown quantity at this point
Question New Guy with some powerplant ?'s

Hi there all,

I just lucked into a 337E that has a bad front engine (Continental IO 360 that threw a rod) and am in the process of trying to find a new one!

Well there is no winning lotto ticket in my hand so Im looking in places such as alleys and behind dumpsters for bargain parts! LOL Last Friday I found several TSIO 360’s that were in a couple of Piper Seneca III's donated to the government by some very lovely drug dealers! They have the heavy cases the VAR cranks, large journals and mains... anyway they're ready to go to Reno! They are suspected to be low time, but there are no logs!

That however is the least of my concerns. In talking with the folks at Continental I found that the mounting hardware should be the same, but the length of the TSIO is about 20" longer due to the aft location of the turbo!

There is a good engine on the back of the plane. And most of the parts on the front of the plane are in good shape also (manifolds, accessory cases...). But for 10k I can get 2 TSIO's that will have many serviceable parts that I can build with, keep as spares or sell!

Can I install these engines (with turbos)? Can I install my old manifolds on the turbo Piper engine? Or should I just have the hard ware inspected (case and crank) and build off of them?

I appreciate any info or opinions that yall can provide! I will be spending tomorrow (my birthday) investigating the matter further and I will be glad to share any info that I come across.

Thanks

_travis
Unread 09-08-03, 07:03 AM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
re 360 engines

Travis

These turbos and engines are different including manifolds, controllers etc.

I rather doubt you will be able to install either one or both without a major cost for an approval.

sorry for such news.

bob
Unread 09-08-03, 01:14 PM

Well thats good to know!

Anyone else?

How about the case and crank? Can I build on them with skymaster cylinders and install them with out moding the mounting brackets?

_travis
Unread 09-08-03, 02:39 PM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
re IO360

Travis

Need to check and verify engines currently in the 337 i.e.
IO360 A, B, or C. If the aircraft is approved for a "C" engine with a specific horsepower then that is what can be installed legally!

The piper 360 had different accessories and different power curve giving it a higher TBO. This engine cannot be used in the 337 since it was NEVER APPROVED for such application.

Cannot mix and match accessories, engines, or drive train components without discussing with TCM or an overhaul shop.......

Bob
Unread 09-10-03, 02:22 AM

Richard is an unknown quantity at this point
I've had engine shops tell me they can convert any IO-360XX to an IO-360A. Maybe that isn't the case, but most engine shops agree with that statement. 20" is ALOT. I highly doubt that. There is an engine shop here that took a TSIO 360 and converted it to a non-turbo IO-360 for installation in a certified plane. I'm in the process of buying the old turbo, controller, etc. from it. I can get you their number if you need it.

Last edited by Richard : 09-10-03 at 02:25 AM.
Unread 09-10-03, 04:30 PM

That sounde really promising, I would appriciate that.

I have been doing my homework and I have found that you can leagily change the data tag and log a combination of engine parts!!! TSIO 360 EB(C) Just like that!

All that aside the cases have diferent studs. Im trying to find the diferance! Looking at the part numbers (the local parts shop let me look at there TCM literature!) there are some differances like the main berrings and cranks but these seem to be mostly astetic. They used a different counter weight or somthing else that will still function perfictly in most any IO 360!!! The cases are all off the same jig! So they all have the same holes and so on! Im dealing whit what they put in the holes!

I appricate the help though

thanks

_travis