Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 09-29-10, 12:05 AM

SkyMac is on a distinguished road
Boom Fairings

Hi Everyone

I have recently purchased a 74 337G and will be looking for some assistance from this forum as I bring her back to life (up to my standards anyway)

To give you a bit of background I chased around for quite some time looking for the right 337 with low TT and one that I could refurb to suit. On reading some previous post's I believe you refer to what I have as a ramp queen. Well a queen she may be, but a half decent one. Given the old girl is fully dissasembled it is an ideal opportunity to go through the aircarft completely, from nose to two tails ! and to carryout any SID's that may come our way.

Well we have started with the tails, at present there are top and lower small fairings fitted to the booms / verticle stab, these are part of a Horton stol kit and are the only parts ever fitted. I would prefer to leave them rather than having a series of rivet holes to address, any thought's - I have contacted Horton for advice on an STC for the fairings, but they recommend fitting the rest of the kit, personal choice I don't want to do so.

The other area is top and lower tips, I have been chasing looking for new OEM plastic ones rather than PMA fiberglass units, any suggestions on some surplus OEM stock.

Anway over the coming months I look forward to the advice I can recieve from all of you as I bring this aircraft back to the condition it deserves.

Regards
Dave
Unread 09-29-10, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
On the Horton fairings I see no reason not to keep them, except for possible regulatory issues that others in this forum may address later. Specifically, when one installs the Horton kit, does a Form 337 need to be filed? (My guess is NO, because we install STC items all the time, without a Form.) If a Form is needed and was not filed, can you do it now when only part of the kit was installed? Even if a Form is not needed, is the STC for the whole kit or does it also apply independently to each element -- in short, is it legal to install just these fairings. Going out on a limb, I will tell you that if it was my aircraft I wouldn't care. I know it's safe, no one is likely to notice, and I can always remove them later if someone notices.

On the upper and lower rudder tips you might find a prior message on that, and it's always better for you to do a Search on your items before posting an inquiry, because a) it saves you time by giving you an instant answer and b) you get multiple opinions from readers who have already addressed the topic, and some of those readers may no longer be on this forum. Anyhow, if you do a Google search you will find a company that makes these tips out of fiberglass for many airplanes, including ours, but I found that Don Nieser at Commodore (405-503-4686 or 722-4079, nieser.02.337parts@juno.com) had new surplus units for less. Since you're sort of new here and will be looking for parts, you may find useful a page on Purchasing Parts on my "backup" Skymaster website at www.SkymasterUS.com.

Ernie
Unread 09-29-10, 05:24 PM

Hi Ernie
Thanks for your reply, greately appreciate your view and advice as it backs up my thoughts on this particular subject.

Great advice on parts locating, and I look forward to reading through the extensive amount of information on your web site.

Dave
Unread 09-29-10, 05:42 PM

Hi Ernie
Thought I would post some replies just recieved through from Horton, just to ensure we have their position in regards to this matter. Replies from Horton are as anticipated.

If you provide the Serial number and Registration number of the aircraft,
I can locate it in the database, and let you know the kit serial number
also.

No the plane is not legal with just the boom fairings installed. It is
only STC'd if the complete kit is installed under STC# SA937CE

Sincerely
Horton, Inc.

The plane has Horton Stol Kit# 5801 with a date of manufacture of
2-21-1995. The whole kit does need to be installed to comply with the STC
and pass inspections.

Sincerely
Horton, Inc.
Unread 09-29-10, 10:41 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Why would you not want the rest of the kit? The STOL kit is one of the best mods you can put on a Skymaster. Other than the money to finish the kit you will only gain benefits for having the STOL kit installed. It will increase the value of the aircraft and you will have a safer airplane during slow flight and short field operations.

Just my thoughts.

BTW, I beleive that Aviation Enterprises has an STC for boom fairings only. They have small and large boom fairings. The small set is very similar, if not the same, as the Horton fairings.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 09-29-10, 11:22 PM

Hi Herb
Thanks for the info, personal choice on the STOL kit that's all. I have sent the guys at Aviation Enterprises an email yesterday asking for their thoughts in this area, knowing they have an STC for fittment of differing sized fairings to the boom / vert stab.

Appreciate the help.

Dave
Unread 09-30-10, 05:19 AM
N456TL

Dave Underwood is on a distinguished road
Before you go too far, you might want to have an informal consultation with your CAA on the matter, depending if you are going to operate on the US register or the Australian register.

On the US register, as Ernie points out, much more relaxed. STC's are not an issue etc.

The CAA here in the UK are very strict regarding approvals of stuff installed in G-Reg aircraft. Even things installed prior to import and change of registration can come under significant scrutiny, and can be subject to a costly inspection.

Regards - Dave
Unread 09-30-10, 09:27 PM

Hi Dave
Thanks for your comments, yes while in thought I agree with Ernie CASA will require an STC for the fairings to remain amoungst many other items that will require change to allow it on the Australian register. These were expected and planned for, fortunately I have a LAME and a cheif engineer who are working on this aircraft and another cheif engineer for consultation as a direct informal link to CASA. Which ever the direction is it will be the one that is legal and safe.

Thanks once again to everyone for their comments and guidance, I will continue to pursue an STC, if un-obtainable they will come off and we will repair the rivet holes.

Regards
Dave