Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 05-12-12, 07:03 PM

SkyMac is on a distinguished road
Fuel Tank Instalation

Hi Everyone

Recently I have removed all fuel tanks (3) and sump tank from the L/H wing (74G 118gal). This work is part of the complete inspection and overhaul of the aircraft, as such it was time to remove tanks and carry out a full visual inpection of the internal structure of the wing. While the aircraft is at this level of dissasembly we will carry out all S.I.Ds related work.

As anticipated there were weeps holes in 2 of the tanks which have now been repaired, the cork cushioning strips on the lower surface were not where they should be and have now been reglued back in place.

All new rubber hoses have been purchased and reinstalation is about to commence. Before I do and given that hoses are new (tight) and space is limited I thought I would ask the group for any helpfull hints, is there a ceratin sequence etc when putting all 3 tanks back in? The service manual is little help in this instance

Hoses are original from Cessna.

Reagrds
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LH Wing internal.JPG
Views:	884
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	1370  
Unread 05-12-12, 08:50 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Dave
When I installed the two main tanks on my '68C model (128 gal) I installed the outboard tank first. Then with the hose connections on the inboard main tank I installed the inboard tank pushing the hose connection onto the outboard tank. Being very careful to align the inner connect hoses while pushing against the tank gently onto the outboard connections. The rubber connectors ended up on the inboard side of the connectors which required the hoses to be centered back toward the outboard tank to finally install the clamps. Not an easy task but take your time and it will go together. I used some oil for lube on the hoses, I think some non detergent or something to help the ease of sliding the hose on the connections. Twisting the hose once the tanks were in aided in centering the hose on the connections.

I also found the cord cushion disorganized in the bay. The new replacement was a rubber material but I chose to keep the original cork and re-glued. I took advantage of the open bays to treat with Boeshield anti corrosion compound.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 05-13-12, 05:49 PM

SkyMac is on a distinguished road
Hi Herb

Many thanks for the advice, middle and outer tank are now installed with only the inner left to do. Once all in I will align and adjust tank position to enusre alignment of hose's and filler hole, almost one wing completed and one to go

Thanks again Herb