Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 03-25-10, 07:47 PM

stratobee is on a distinguished road
Should I get an old 337?

Hi.

New forum member here, veteran lurker. I come bearing questions...

Not rich. Mostly flown Cessna singles. Always fancied a 336/337. Could probably afford an early model, A, B or C with basic avionics. Could hopefully afford upkeep and slight upgrade in avionics as I go along, but don't want to splash for it straight out of the gate.

1. What's the deal with this SID/AD thing in simple terms? Would it affect me as a non-commercial, private owner?

2. Will it mean that the prices of these aircraft is going to come down more?

3. I quite often see early 337's at or below $30K - how bad an idea is this to get? Considering I like to pay as I go and upgrade and don't want to pay for someone else's idea of the perfect avionics package etc, this seems tempting.

4. Can I get long range tanks retrofitted if the aircraft doesn't have it? Are there any of those baggage fuel tanks that transfer fuel to mains available for the Skymaster that you can get for the Cessna singles? If they exist, are they STC'd?

Last question I'm asking because I live in the US at the moment, but as a cinematographer often spend long periods in Europe and would perhaps want to have the plane flown over (not by me until I have my IR and grow a pair) should I have a long stint there so I can do some local touring (I have both JAA and FAA licenses). It'd be nice to have whoever flies it over to be able to do it without ferry tanks, that's why I'm asking.

Thanks.

Last edited by stratobee : 03-25-10 at 08:32 PM.