Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 02-24-04, 10:57 AM

kevin is on a distinguished road
I believe, although I am not sure, that the C engine delivered today has the heavy case as well. I don't think Continental ships the light case for any reman or new engine today.

Kevin
Unread 02-28-04, 10:49 AM

Guy Paris is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool IO 360's

When I purchaced my reman a few years back (IO360 G) the choice was the G or a GB1 which was 1K more back then. Something beafed up. guy, the old 72 driver...
Unread 02-29-04, 06:18 AM

sunnysky is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks Guys . Thats the option they are offering me now. Think the $1000 extra dollars is for larger bearings. Which one did you go for ? sunnysky.
Unread 02-29-04, 08:34 AM

Guy Paris is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool The IO360's

Hi Sunny, went for the GB1. One would think that if it were better that Continental would do it any way! Why even make the other way. Is there something that I don't understand here? Or is it another way to increase $$$$$$. guy, the old 72 driver....
Unread 03-03-04, 12:39 PM

hewilson is an unknown quantity at this point
Overhaul vs. Cont. Reman.

From the discussion above, it seems to me that overhaul is the way to go. In researching options (should I end up buying a plane with runout engines), I came across an ad in the CPA magazine for a place called Tropic Airpower in FLA. They list a fixed price for the IO 360 A-C that includes hoses, GAMI injectors, new cylindar assemblies, Slick magnetos and a VAR crank if required by AD 97-26-17. The price in the ad is $15,575. With their shipping discount, round trip shipping would be about $1,400. That would be a total of $16,975, significantly cheaper than Air Power's $300 over invoice on a factory reman.

Has anyone had any experience with Tropic Airpower? If they are a quality shop, their price is a good deal and I'm starting to believe overhaul is the best option.

Anyone have a rough idea on labor costs for removing and replacing an engine?
Unread 03-03-04, 02:51 PM

Mark Hislop is an unknown quantity at this point
I think you will spend between $3,000 and $5,000 depending on what new items (engine mounts, hoses, etc.) and what engine compartment work (clean/paint engine mount, repair/replace baffles, etc.).

Mark
Unread 03-03-04, 04:16 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
I spent $2700 the last time I R&R'd an engine. I can't remember the shop rate, I think $55 per hour.

Kevin
Unread 03-03-04, 06:11 PM

hewilson is an unknown quantity at this point
Incorrect informatio

Sorry guys. Looks like some of that information I provided earlier was not correct.

The price in the ad is for a Lycoming IO 360. The price for a Cont. IO360 NOT including the VAR crank, Slick magnetos or GAMI injectors is $17,758. Add $2,900 for VAR alone = $20,658. Still about 4K cheaper than reman from Air Power.

Now add in GAMI injectors, Slicks and new cylinder assemblies and it is up to $22,300, about $2,500 less than Air Power's Cont. reman. Still reasonably priced but not nearly the deal I first thought.

I would still be interested though to know if anyone has had any experience with Tropic Airpower. Thanks.