Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 04-21-05, 01:55 PM

Don Hickman is an unknown quantity at this point
bladder tank

I've searched but haven't found any info on buying an auxiliary bladder tank to stick in back. I'm sure I've read of cases where someone has mounted a rubber tank in the baggage area in order to increase range a bit but I can't find one anywhere. I did find a metal tank that can be temporarily mounted but it costs $1,800. Anyone have any info?
Unread 05-07-05, 02:36 PM

J.T.Grant is an unknown quantity at this point
Dear Sir,
Yor best bet for a legal long range fuel tank wwould be one of the professional ferry companies.
I have had good luck with globe Aero out of Lakeland, FL.
Their price for an FAA legal ferry tank of almost any capacity was $2500.00 back in 2002. The cost reallt seems to cover the required plumbing,Paper work, and liability as a simple 50-100 US Gallon sheet maetal tank can be fabricated for a few hundred dollars. Do remember that if you return to the US from overseas with a long range tank in the cabin but no paper work you will find Customs and Border control difficult to pass.
Good Luck,
Regards,
James T Grant
Unread 05-07-05, 07:53 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Don,
Can we ask what your interest is in a bladder tank?
Unread 05-07-05, 08:46 PM

big al 08 is an unknown quantity at this point
drinks lots of coffee
Unread 05-21-05, 10:24 PM

I suppose I could/should have explained my interest in a bladder tank so Larry wouldn't be so worried about me. (he already thinks I'm crazy enough as it is because I enjoy flying across the Gulf of Mexico all the time)

The bladder tank wasn't for me. I can make it from New Orleans to Cancun with 2 hours of gas to spare. The problem there is usually my bladder.

But I have a friend in Playa del Carmen who is an A&P and works on my plane if I need something fixed while I'm down here. And he rebuilt a Cessna 172 from the ground up and wants to fly it to his brother's place near Orlando. However, he's concerned about the range. The best no-wind calculations show him making it to Key West from Cancun with 35 minutes of fuel left. And if there's a bit of headwind . . . . ?

So, he asked me if I could find a collapsible bladder tank that he could install. And, if I could, would I bring it down here in my plane and then accompany him for the flight to Florida since he isn't instrument rated?

Of course, we could just land in Cuba to buy more fuel, but with me on board, I think that's a problem.

So, with no collapsible tanks available, looks like we'll switch to Plan B, which is to fly all around the Gulf to Texas and then across Louisiana over to Florida.

The cost comes out about the same as buying the metal tank listed above on this thread but without the hassle of installing the thing and then taking it out.
Unread 05-22-05, 08:15 PM
TAS (Thin Air Seeker)

Jerry De Santis is on a distinguished road
travel

That's a smart move Don! Keep your feet dry in a single.

Jerry
Unread 05-22-05, 08:35 PM

You're right, Jerry! What was I thinking??? I think I've just flown over the ocean so many times I've become complacent. Not a good thing to do! Should have just told my buddy we'll stay feet dry the whole way to start with.