Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 10-03-09, 09:45 PM

ConwayB is an unknown quantity at this point
Q: Who should I get to re-assemble a 337?

G'day everyone,

I am in the market for a 337: non pressurized, non-turbo, earlier than an 'F' (with larger windows). An O-2 would be fine provided it was in the normal category and not warbird category.

One has appeared on the market - a 'B' model ex O-2 but in the 'normal' category - currently disassembled but I am told with all the necessary components minus some of the avionics. The vendor had it as a project but time and money is not in ready supply so it's on the market. It needs two new engines and props (to make it legal for charter operations in Australia).

Here's the advice I seek and any responses/comments are appreciated.

I need to get the aircraft airworthy, in good condition and flying in Australia.

Option 1 - Get the aircraft re-assebled in the US, engines/props replaced, test flown, ferry tanks installed and fly it home.
Pros - parts are cheaper; more expertise readily available; parts more readily available during the re-assembly; cross-Pacific ferry will be an adventure.
Cons - I don't get to oversee it; I have to trust people half a world away to have my best interests at heart; can get expensive to travel to and from Australia and then the ferry will be relatively expensive and risky.

Option 2 - Freight the aircraft to Australia and re-assemble at home.
Pros - easier to oversee; cheaper with regard to travel, etc; safer means of transporting aircraft.
Cons - engines and props are more expensive, parts not readily available nor in-depth expertise in this particular type; lose the chance to say 'I ferried an aircraft over the Pacific"

Option 3 - Continue to search for an aircraft in the US ready to fly and then ferry it.
Pros - no hassle with re-assembly. Aircraft more of a known quantity. Still able to ferry it for the adventure; greater range of good qualty/low TTAF airframes.
Cons - May not get exactly what I want;

Option 4 - Continue to search for a suitable aircraft in Australia.
Pros - already on the registry here; search and engineering checks are cheaper; far less risky in the purchase and no risk in cross ocean ferry.
Cons - not too many low time aircraft here on the market; no adventure of ferry.

So here's the question: What do you guys and girls suggest? What would you do? If I went for option 1, what suggestions do you have regarding the right people to re-assemble, install/replace and get to airworthiness standard.

Also, what prices would you expect to pay for engine/prop replacements with new or FReMan engines so I can compare it to the prices quoted in Australia.

Any and all constructive advice is appreciated.

If you're interested in military and aviation art, visit my website at www.ipas.com.au

Email to my personal email at conway@ipas.com.au or PM me through here.

Thanks in advance and safe flying!

Conway

PS. I'm coming to the States next week for a fortnight but not able to search for aircraft on this trip. Too busy visiting friends, etc. So I will have the opportunity to phone people without the disadvantages of time zone differences.
Unread 10-04-09, 06:02 AM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
I looked at the Airpower website, and they say new-reman engines are $29,000 each.
As for assembly, there are a lot of competent IA's who could do that, including the one that Herb and I used. However for what you want, I would turn to Owen Bell, or Don Nieser to have a project like that done. Both of these gentlemen have an extensive background with Skymasters, and either of them will do the job you need done.
Do you actually need new props, or can they be overhauled? Don owns the Prop Shop, in addition to his Skymaster business.
I have no idea what new props will cost, but I'm sure someone here will have more information.
As for the rest, Wow, tough choices. I would think that if you have been looking at the market for a while, and you found the "perfect" airplane here, then go for it.
Owen Bell is at http://www.aviationenterprises.us/ and his email is owen.bell@juno.com . His phone number is 615-865-1802.
Don Nieser is at http://02337parts.com/ and his email is nieser.02.337parts@juno.com . His phone number is 405-503-4686.

Last edited by WebMaster : 10-04-09 at 06:15 AM.
Unread 10-06-09, 09:40 AM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
I don't know about 0-2's, but the 67 and 68 Skymaster have lower max take off weights than the later aircraft.
The 68 C model has a max takeoff of 4400 pounds. The 69 D model has a max takeoff of 4500 pounds.

Something you might want to consider, if you are going to use them for a commercial, passenger hauling, business.
Unread 10-06-09, 12:02 PM

K337A is on a distinguished road
Conway-

I highly suggest you hire a DAR and explain your idea. Be sure and tell him about the upcoming SID in the near future. Pull up a chair and have a Video Recorder handy to record his reaction and the estimation of the cost entailed with obtaining a COA in AU. After this meeting retire to the nearest Adult beverage establishment and calculator in hand tally up some estimated cost to bring aircraft in Conformity. I see from your website that you have operations with NSW Rural Fire Service. Call these fellows up or someone within CASA and obtain some information concerning importation of a C337 for Commercial use. C337's are a perfect platform for many useful purposes Commercially. Unfortunately the FAA is about to place very large financial cost upon Commercial operators using Service Difficulty Reports as a basis for a Super AD for Part 135 aircraft and foreign operated 337's. This SID will be mandatory for foreign registered aircraft if the Cessna recommended maintenance is required. In addition I believe to obtain a CASA COA the Cessna Time/Calender life items must be satisfied. Replacement of the Hyd hoses,Pitot Static tubing, Engine Control Cables (@TBO),......and many more items. This list doesn't include the Super AD (SID) issue. When the Super AD (SID) becomes law the inspection list will grow considerably. Please purchase a C337 service manual. Here is one for 1964-1974 337's on CD. If you do decide to go forward with a Skymaster purchase wait till after the SID is released. This document could affect the price of a aircraft significantly, especially outside the USA. There should be a majority of C337 operators unloading their aircraft. Then you can perform the Super AD (SID). The Directors at CASA and the Aging Aircraft Directorate Department of the FAA, could make you a example of a inter governmental cooperative effort example. Demonstrating a marriage of industry and Governmental Regulation making the skies safer. But unfortunately for your company's financials this will only last 10 years, even if the plane is stored in a hermetically controlled environment with minmum flight time accrued. You will be required to repeat the Super AD (SID). Along with the Cessna mandatory time/calender limits which exist presently. BTW Louisiana Tech has a very nice HUET setup in Lafayette, Louisiana. Very nice and knowledgeable instructors well equipped and a worthwhile course as you know if you fly/ride over water in flying machines.

http://www.mccurtaintg.com/cessna3.htm#sku33701

Last edited by K337A : 10-06-09 at 01:57 PM.